Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 14, 19, 2:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 19 September 3 November 2 (revised) (but recent events are indicative this could project into 2020). This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight through 19 August 2019 3 Sep 2019 or beyond, TBA:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 17, 19, 1:31 pm
  #61  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 80,373
This sounds like AA is planning to return to its previous aircraft schedule if/when the MAX is permitted to fly again. It could also be interpreted as AA trying to hide the flights that might be MAX from people who are buying tickets now. I could easily envision many people wanting to switch to other flights that won't be operated with a MAX after it returns to service.
cmd320 likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:57 pm
  #62  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,432
Anyone flying MIA-SFO this Sunday evening (3/24)?

Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F ). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:01 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,368
This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:05 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: US, HH
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F ). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.
Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.

ETA: just realized you’re already in F so not necessarily an option for you. But worth asking.
GrjApp is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:05 pm
  #65  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,432
Yeah, I only saw the change in the app Saturday and everything else was already gone. Should check more frequently

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:08 pm
  #66  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,432
Originally Posted by GrjApp View Post


Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.
They called me today. But there really are no open seats in F (we are paid F). Don't wanna go coach. One of the flights actually has 1 seat showing on EF (even though J0), but we need 2. If I saw a second, I'd call and try to push it, even with J0. But I do believe that there are not the seats at present.

Cheers
brp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:21 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 684
My advice is to keep checking your AA flights, whatever the equipment. My JFK/LAS flight was canceled and AA did not alert me - I found out by looking at the reservation
as is my habit. Instead, they booked me on a connection via LAX that had me arriving 8 hours later than the original. I'm guessing they are using this aircraft
for more important routes, but some notice might have been nice.
Mickidon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:01 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 39
I'm booked LGA to MIA on April 19th in the evening. I have a flight I need to catch the next day, also on AA but on a separate booking. My itinerary still shows a 737M8 -- should I be worried about a disruption as the date of travel approaches?
elkue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:06 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.
How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?
Cledaybuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:53 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?
jraimond48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:13 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,368
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?
The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:51 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: YYJ
Posts: 3,693
Originally Posted by jraimond48 View Post
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?
AA should allow you to cancel for a full refund in this case.
But they don't have the ability to ticket on Southwest - you'd have to purchase your tickets directly on your friend's flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
cedric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:00 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by jraimond48 View Post
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?
AA wouldn't do it for me. I got a refund from AA and rebooked myself on JetBlue. I was actually holding the JetBlue flight on a refundable basis as I had a suspicion AA would cancel and rebook me on something totally unacceptable. I was right, but the belt and suspenders approach worked, though it cost a bit more.
Mickidon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:34 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.
Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.
Cledaybuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:44 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,368
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.
Not correct. AA issued a memo the day they were grounded stating that people could make changes up through 4/3 or 4/4. Thats how I changed my ticket for 4/2.
JDiver likes this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread