FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 30888379)
So if you see your non-MAX 737 (wasn't remotely close to being full) flight next week look completely zeroed out...that's not a good sign right?

I'd watch it very carefully, but AA could have temporarily zeroed it out while they're doing an aircraft swap....or the flight could simply be full, which wouldn't be surprising right now.

JDiver Mar 15, 2019 2:31 am

¿Quien sabe?

All Boeing 737 Max 8 and 9 aircraft will remain grounded at least until May after the fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash on Sunday, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said. - BBC, 15 March 2019
followed some hours later by

Shares of Boeing rebounded Friday after a report that the plane manufacturer plans to roll out a software upgrade for its 737 Max aircraft in 10 days.

The Federal Aviation Administration is expected to sign off on Boeing’s planned changes to its anti-stall software on March 25, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC. Lawmakers have been informed of the timeline, the person said. Link to CNBC article

autdi Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30888958)
I'd watch it very carefully, but AA could have temporarily zeroed it out while they're doing an aircraft swap....or the flight could simply be full, which wouldn't be surprising right now.

How far ahead are the swaps happening? I'm on a route that has been canceled tonight and tomorrow (non-Max8) but no information on the Sunday flight that I'm on yet.

MSPeconomist Mar 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by autdi (Post 30891356)
How far ahead are the swaps happening? I'm on a route that has been canceled tonight and tomorrow (non-Max8) but no information on the Sunday flight that I'm on yet.

We can only suspect that airlines are "winging it" at the moment. I wouldn't expect cancelled flights to be reinstated immediately, but I would expect to see rolling cancellations and aircraft swaps until the sansMAX schedules stabilize.

JDiver Mar 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30891472)
We can only suspect that airlines are "winging it" at the moment. I wouldn't expect cancelled flights to be reinstated immediately, but I would expect to see rolling cancellations and aircraft swaps until the sansMAX schedules stabilize.

Yep. It’s a very dynamic situation. And AA just suspended all flights to CCS and MAR, Venezuela, today, so that’s two more available hulls.

Traveller Mar 16, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm on MIA-AUS March 31, AA 2830, on the website it shows as a 738-Boeing 737. I am assuming this is not the MAX? I had a missed call from AA today, no message. I guess my 737 is being used on another flight, but my itin does not show cancelled. If I call them, would they allow me to fly into DFW that day instead of AUS, no fee, no extra charge? I picked AUS because it was only $500 vs. DFW at $1200. Thanks!

VXforever Mar 17, 2019 12:57 am

Fortunately for us DL flyers, this isn't an issue. DL doesnt buy bunk planes.

ETA: i have an upcoming flight on Lion Air. Im totatally cool about it, as long as its not a MAX. Blame the maker, not the operator.

GrjApp Mar 17, 2019 6:08 am

One of my upcoming 738 flights was changed (presumably repurposed elsewhere) and the resulting schedule change was not to my liking, so I called in. Apparently they are still busy with schedule changes, so best to continue watching future flights for now.

JDiver Mar 17, 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Traveller (Post 30895611)
I'm on MIA-AUS March 31, AA 2830, on the website it shows as a 738-Boeing 737. I am assuming this is not the MAX? I had a missed call from AA today, no message. I guess my 737 is being used on another flight, but my itin does not show cancelled. If I call them, would they allow me to fly into DFW that day instead of AUS, no fee, no extra charge? I picked AUS because it was only $500 vs. DFW at $1200. Thanks!

“738” means it’s a Boeing 737-823 and not “”7M8”, Boeing 737 MAX 8. Those are the only types of 737 AA operates. The MAX are grounded until further notice (and that could be some time beyond April 4).

No, AA certainly won’t allow you to make your desired change, and wouldn’t even if you’d have had an aircraft type change (AUS is not coterminal to DFW).

JonNYC Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am

We'll see how this flies

MSPeconomist Mar 17, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30896786)

26th of what month? March certainly seems unrealistic with other reports saying that they'll be grounded until at least May.

JonNYC Mar 17, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30896796)
26th of what month? March certainly seems unrealistic with other reports saying that they'll be grounded until at least May.

It's this month, and clearly based on this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/boei...n-10-days.html

But can't imagine there's any chance they're flying again (that FAA lifts grounding) in that time-frame.

tbrein Mar 17, 2019 8:59 am

My flights to BGI on April 27 and returning to MIA on May 17 now do not show an aircraft in my reservation. It shows we have the same seats but no aircraft to sit in. Yet the schedule is still showing 7M8

superweak Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by tbrein (Post 30896918)
My flights to BGI on April 27 and returning to MIA on May 17 now do not show an aircraft in my reservation. It shows we have the same seats but no aircraft to sit in. Yet the schedule is still showing 7M8

Same for AUS-LAX on May 29. I think AA is anticipating this going on a while.

cova Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

AA has now masked the aircraft type on AA.com for flights that were 7M8.

Take DCA-LAX for example: (April 6):

The morning flight shows "AA 1275 - 738-Boeing 737"
But the evening flght, which had been a 7M8, shows just "AA163" (with no aircraft type). The seat map is still that of the MAX. Expertflyer still shows as 7M8.

So it looks like AA is trying to hide the 7M8 on AA.com, even though it is still scheduled as a 7M8.