Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:19 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Is there a way to tell if I am flying an 7M8 vs a 737? I saw that my routing's flights are cancelled from the 15th on FlightAware.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
What happens after April 4?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My reservation still says 7M8 but the agent looked for incoming flight details and looks like my flight will be operated by 738. I decided to keep my reservation as is at this moment, not changing my flight.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My reservation still says 7M8 but the agent looked for incoming flight details and looks like my flight will be operated by 738. I decided to keep my reservation as is at this moment, not changing my flight.
If the plane is grounded, then obviously you won't be flying it...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by tbrein
They will probably have adjusted the schedule/equipment swapped everything, allowing people to make changes based on if the schedule changed. Or they will extend it if the plane continues to be grounded and they haven't been able to update the schedule.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tbrein
More moving around paxs and a/c if the 7M8 is still grounded. I'm assuming the 4/3 date (2 weeks from grounding) is an arbitrary date in which AA believes the 7M8 will be back flying. I'm sure at least Boeing hopes so.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I think the 4/3 date was the original date where FAA had insisted that Boeing get its MCAS fix in place.

As it is, this is a mess. I've spent now 30 minutes on hold with AA trying to get a 738Max flight rebooked as one desk at AA says I'm on a 738M and the other desk thinks I'm on a regular 738. If they can't figure it out, we have REAL problems.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am

We were scheduled DEN to MIA on 3/15. We were then connecting to a flight to Barcelona. I watched all day yesterday for changes. I even called American and was told they couldn't do anything until it was cancelled. They finally cancelled it around 5:30pm. Spent 3 hours on the phone with Expedia and AA (my husband and I were both on the phone). Best they could do was change our outbound flights to leave on Sunday 3/17 and get to BCN on 3/18. Our cruise leaves BCN on the 17th, so that wouldn't work. While we were on hold we tried to get a flight to MCO on 3/14 on Southwest but it went unavailable while I was putting in the credit card info. So I was able to get us out of DEN tonight at 8:30pm on United to FSD, where we spend 6 hours, then fly to ATL, have a 1.5 hr connection, and then fly to MIA where we arrive about 4.5 hours before the BCN flight. This wonderful option cost us $3000 (there are 3 of us). Right now I'm still non-stop praying that everything goes off without a hitch and we make it to BCN. (We were able to get AA to remove the DEN-MIA leg and keep the remaining flights so we're not a no-show to BCN). I'm thrilled we were able to find something, but I"m wondering if there is any kind of action I can take regarding the $3K out of pocket? I mostly just follow flyertalk and don't post often, but I thought you all might know of something. Oh and to make matters more interesting, we used Expedia to book and these flights are all actually British Airways.

Our flight home on the 28th still shows the 7M8. If AA would have done this days ago, I imagine this wouldn't have been the nightmare it is. Still feel like I"m gonna throw up...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:39 am

So I imagine part of this was weather related to the weather bomb that took place. My suggestion is that if you can get out of DEN or SLC or COS, get to any city thats close to MIA and then drive to MIA - FLL, PBI, even TPA.

SLC - FLL is $340 each for three people on Delta tomorrow.

If you have trip delay protection on your credit card, get that credit card agreement out and read the rules -closely- and keep all your receipts.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uxb
Is there a way to tell if I am flying an 7M8 vs a 737? I saw that my routing's flights are cancelled from the 15th on FlightAware.
Look in flight details. 7M8 = 737 MAX 8. 738 = 737-800.

Even if your flight is scheduled on a 738, the aircraft could be reassigned to cover a 7M8 flight which could result in 738 flights to be delayed or cancelled.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So I imagine part of this was weather related to the weather bomb that took place. My suggestion is that if you can get out of DEN, get to any city thats close to MIA and then drive to MIA - FLL, PBI, even TPA.
I had my hand on one to Orlando, but it sold out before I could get my CC info in. There is literally nothing, except the convoluted mess we've got now. I'm just happy there we'll get there if those 3 flights are all ok.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by jenf22
We were scheduled DEN to MIA on 3/15. We were then connecting to a flight to Barcelona. I watched all day yesterday for changes. I even called American and was told they couldn't do anything until it was cancelled. They finally cancelled it around 5:30pm. Spent 3 hours on the phone with Expedia and AA (my husband and I were both on the phone). Best they could do was change our outbound flights to leave on Sunday 3/17 and get to BCN on 3/18. Our cruise leaves BCN on the 17th, so that wouldn't work. While we were on hold we tried to get a flight to MCO on 3/14 on Southwest but it went unavailable while I was putting in the credit card info. So I was able to get us out of DEN tonight at 8:30pm on United to FSD, where we spend 6 hours, then fly to ATL, have a 1.5 hr connection, and then fly to MIA where we arrive about 4.5 hours before the BCN flight. This wonderful option cost us $3000 (there are 3 of us). Right now I'm still non-stop praying that everything goes off without a hitch and we make it to BCN. (We were able to get AA to remove the DEN-MIA leg and keep the remaining flights so we're not a no-show to BCN). I'm thrilled we were able to find something, but I"m wondering if there is any kind of action I can take regarding the $3K out of pocket? I mostly just follow flyertalk and don't post often, but I thought you all might know of something. Oh and to make matters more interesting, we used Expedia to book and these flights are all actually British Airways.

Our flight home on the 28th still shows the 7M8. If AA would have done this days ago, I imagine this wouldn't have been the nightmare it is. Still feel like I"m gonna throw up...
For right now I wouldn't let it ruin your vacation and be glad you were quick on your feet. Do you have trip insurance of any sort with an interruption policy? If so I would document everything and make a claim with them upon return. Even if you don't get Expedia/AA/BA to do anything for you you can get the out of pocket costs paid that way. Again, whether it be for insurance, the airline, ect. document, document, document.

FWIW my parents had a similar problem with UA last year with a delayed domestic connection causing them to totally miss a once daily EWR-KEF flight, and there was no space to rebook them in J for several days. UA refused to rebook them on Air Canada even though they are star alliance, so they bought the last minute (or last second really) tickets themselves. They tried to fight it out with UA but never got a dime for the costs of the flights they had to buy, but travel insurance covered it.

Also not sure if EU delay/cancellation regulations would apply at all since the flight affected was entirely within the US and you ultimately are making it aboard your flight to the EU.
jenf22 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I think the 4/3 date was the original date where FAA had insisted that Boeing get its MCAS fix in place.

As it is, this is a mess. I've spent now 30 minutes on hold with AA trying to get a 738Max flight rebooked as one desk at AA says I'm on a 738M and the other desk thinks I'm on a regular 738. If they can't figure it out, we have REAL problems.
My flight is tomorrow and the reservation still shows aircraft as 7M8. But when an AAgent looked up incoming flight information and seat maps then it became obvious that my flight will be operated by 738. Originally I had seat 10C on 7M8, MCE seat, but now the seat map shows I was still in seat 10C but not MCE. Good thing an aisle MCE was still available and I changed my seat.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My flight is tomorrow and the reservation still shows aircraft as 7M8. But when an AAgent looked up incoming flight information and seat maps then it became obvious that my flight will be operated by 738. Originally I had seat 10C on 7M8, MCE seat, but now the seat map shows I was still in seat 10C but not MCE. Good thing an aisle MCE was still available and I changed my seat.
Goodonya. Being proactive is crucial when AA changes equipment, because they don’t have the ability - for whatever reason - to preserve seat preference or type (MCE, etc.)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:38 am

OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.