FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960706-archive-737-max-7m8-grounded-until-tba-what-do-if-scheduled-fly-one.html)

AlwaysAisle Mar 13, 2019 12:48 pm

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30882795)

Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight. :rolleyes:

tom911 Mar 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30882865)
Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight. :rolleyes:

Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.

AlwaysAisle Mar 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 30882924)
Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.

According to an AAgent, AA has not issued anything in regard to grounding of 7M8 yet. At this moment if I want to change my reservation it is subject to the penalty and fare difference, according to an AAgent. My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.

econometrics Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30883038)
My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.

I wouldn't trust AA's system for showing any kind of realistic departure delays or cancellations.

Besides that, cancellations really are happening. So I would wait a few more min, then call back.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 30883057)
Looking at schedule availability out of MIA now, things look like a real mess. Should get interesting. This is the kind of thing that years of fleet rationalization and squeezing every seat cannot predict. There's now no slack in the system.

Unfortunately MIA is home for these birds and AA probably hadn't gotten around to contingent planning. The other hassle for MIA is that traditionally the MD80 doesn't fly there although I suppose it could for domestic turns. The next couple of days will be a PITA until AA puts in contingent planning. For the poster worrying about the weekend member at least on the weekend there's more slack in the system.

beachfan Mar 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Don’t wait, HUCA and/or escalate.

middle seats await the slow, )and maybe the quick too)

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm

You will have to look at your PNR and email to see if AA automatically rescheduled you. (As the grounding order is very fresh, it will take Dispatchers a bit of time to accomplish this.)

AA hasn’t posted any travel alerts or policy as yet. Link.

If the reschedule is not to your liking, they may refund or reaccommodate you. It’s best if you’re aware of available alternative flights when you call.

If you’re scheduled to fly imminently, contact AA.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents have the may have any new policy, and JonNYC has it below. if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives. (But be proactive.)

yabadoo Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Am in the same situation, flight departs tomorrow and so far no update. Am in the Admirals Club currently and desk agents say unless the flight is cancelled in the system there is nothing they can do. What will probably happen is the flight will either be replaced by another 737 aircraft, or a A320, and if not then it will be cancelled and we will be rebooked through some other connection and flight.
Will keep monitoring and call AA to see what happens.

dickinson Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

EXP agent got bulletin when I spoke with him. Flights through April 4th on the 737 max can be rescheduled without penalty.

deeruck Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

New post on the front page of aa.com. Not a lot of info on actual dates that pax can reschedule flights.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

As it states I the Wikipost at the top of the page:

This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

Some posts not adhering to the narrow purpose of this post have moved to the thread linked to above.

Thank you for keeping this IROPS/OSO thread immediately useful to members previously scheduled to fly on one or more of the 85 daily flights AA flights operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8s prior to today’s grounding order.

Lux Flyer Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30883239)
There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents may have ad how policy, so if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives.

Worst part is these likely all have to be manually done by an agent, and can't be initiated by passengers, like with a weather waiver because I'm sure the weather waiver system wasn't designed to allow changes based on Plane Type...And they can't straight out cancel all those flights to make the system automatically take over, because they don't know it that flight will actually be canceled since there is a high likelihood for an equipment swap.

girlsmom4 Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm

I was told by an AA agent that flights up until April 3rd can be rebooked.

JonNYC Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

policy: