Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No Seat Available to Select in J - should I worry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I usually fly on airlines on which I have status, but just booked a full fare J seat on AA for a flight to LAS next week. No seat assignments have been available for
days and my TA (who did not book this flight) says he doesn't see any available for airport check in. AA has basically told me to deal with it at the airport
next week and that if a J seat isn't available, they will refund the difference if I end up in Coach. Which is not really my intent when I book a J seat. It's a self inflicted wound, as I could see that no seats were open, but I figured it would sort itself out. Is this a common thing on AA and what is the order in which seats would be
assigned at the airport - say between a high level flyer on an upgrade vs. a paid FC? Is the best move to just keep checking? Set some kind of alert? Or change to
a flight with available seats to avoid unpleasant day of surprises? I'm sure this is a common scenario, but it isn't in my wheelhouse. TIA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
which flight # / day?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
which flight # / day?
969 on March 21
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Expert Flyer shows J0 and a full J cabin (no seats available). Granted this reflects information from AA. I'd call AA back and raise more of a stink about getting a seat assignment. While the first agent was technically correct (the best kind), relying on a misconnect or cancellation will likely leave you sitting in coach (which has the oddest seat map I've seen in a while, but is also only Y5).

If it's possible, AA231 (the 8:29pm flight) on 3/20 is showing J2 with 3 empty seats on the seat map. AA231 is wide open on 3/21, but I suspect you've chosen the earlier flight on purpose.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Expert Flyer shows J0 and a full J cabin (no seats available). Granted this reflects information from AA. I'd call AA back and raise more of a stink about getting a seat assignment. While the first agent was technically correct (the best kind), relying on a misconnect or cancellation will likely leave you sitting in coach (which has the oddest seat map I've seen in a while, but is also only Y5).

If it's possible, AA231 (the 8:29pm flight) on 3/20 is showing J2 with 3 empty seats on the seat map. AA231 is wide open on 3/21, but I suspect you've chosen the earlier flight on purpose.
Thanks for this. My sense is that AA is handling a lot of angry 737 Max calls today and the reps. have no patience or interest in my minor situation. I've tried more than once
and will get back at it tomorrow. And yes, AA 231 is later than I'd like to travel.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It never ceases to amaze me that refunding the difference between J and Y is considered a solution. If you had wanted to pay the Y fare and fly in Y you would have booked Y. The fact that airlines are allowed to get away with this nonsense is mindboggling.

I have no idea what you paid (though, full fare, so... a lot?) You can always cancel for a full refund and book with someone else if you can't get a better answer from an agent. JetBlue has a direct flight just slightly later (though, pricy -- $1399). But, probably a better product, and, hey... free wifi will save you a couple of bucks.
Spiff, wrp96, chitink and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If OP shows up at the gate and has NO seat in J wouldn't he be IDB'd? AA would have to fly him to LAS and pay IDB compensation.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
If OP shows up at the gate and has NO seat in J wouldn't he be IDB'd? AA would have to fly him to LAS and pay IDB compensation.
IRRC, you don't get IBD compensation if you're given a seat in Y.
chitink likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
IRRC, you don't get IBD compensation if you're given a seat in Y.
Correct. As long as they can accommodate you on the flight it is not denied boarding. In the US denied boarding is only when they don't have enough seats on the plane to accomodate all passengers, it doen't distinguish cabin of travel (unlike the EU regulations). If you get put in Y the only thing you are entitled to is the fare difference (demand they use the historical fare difference, because they will often try to give you the difference to full Y). US airlines will typically provide customers a downgrade compensation as a customer service gesture, but it's only like $250 and it by no means required. Personally I feel the correct response for a company concerned about customer service should be to solicit volunteers from the J cabin to either downgrade or take a later flight in exchange for compensation. That way everyone wins, but alas, we'd need the company focused on customer satisfaction.

Bumped passengers are NOT eligible for compensation in the following situations:
  • Aircraft Change - A smaller plane is substituted for the larger one the airline originally planned on using due to operational or safety reasons.
  • Weight and Balance - Weight or balance restrictions that apply to planes with 60 or fewer seats for operational or safety reasons.
  • Downgrading - A passenger is downgraded from a higher class of seating to a lower class. In this case, the passenger is entitled to a refund for the difference in price.
  • Charter Flights - A flight contracted for a specific trip that is not part of an airline’s regular schedule.
  • Small Aircraft - Scheduled flights on planes holding fewer than 30 passengers.
  • Flights Departing a Foreign Location - International flights to the United States. However, some airlines on these routes may provide compensation voluntarily. Also, the European Commission has a rule on bumping passengers from flights that apply to passengers departing from a European Union member state; ask the airline for details, or visit this page.
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales
Specific details from DOT; bullet point emphasis by me. Startling reminder that US airlines aren't required to compensate for bumps due to equipment swaps or weight & balance. Though in the situations I've seen it come up, they have (at least Delta has) still solicited volunteers.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
interesting, or am I getting it wrong.. OP was able to buy a J seat, but AA says J is full? AA way to go.. take the money up front and let the passenger worry about getting a seat!
sure there might be no shows. but still AA give the OP some practical solution.. paying for J and being in Y is not a solution..
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman

Blame March Madness for the odd seat map.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
OP, I'd set a seat alert on ExpertFlyer for all the J seats. Then when one pops open, nab it.
ijgordon and chitink like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If OP purchased full fare J ticket then it should be fully refundable without penalty. I think this is simple consumer choice situation, if the competitors (other airlines) can provide comparable product (domestic first class) in better conditions and terms (assigned seats) then OP should entertain the idea of simply chose to fly other airlines for this trip.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If OP purchased full fare J ticket then it should be fully refundable without penalty. I think this is simple consumer choice situation, if the competitors (other airlines) can provide comparable product (domestic first class) in better conditions and terms (assigned seats) then OP should entertain the idea of simply chose to fly other airlines for this trip.
Yes, this is probably what I will end up doing. I've never tried Mint, so it might be a good trade after all. I have been totally unimpressed by AA's response and
indifference. And that will certainly be filed away for next time!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This does not seem such a big surprise. The flight appears to be overbooked in J (and at least sold out in F). If the situation remains, the cabin will be oversold, AA will apply its downgrade rules and depending on where AA fits into that scheme, e.g. status and fare basis, he may or may not be downgraded.

The contract OP agreed to simply provides for a refund of the fare difference.

But, we are far from that. Cancellations, misconnects, and the downgrade pecking order (not to mention AA possibly asking for volunteers in return for some comp) all come before OP winds up in steerage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.