Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No Seat Available to Select in J - should I worry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Seat Available to Select in J - should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Yes, this is probably what I will end up doing. I've never tried Mint, so it might be a good trade after all. I have been totally unimpressed by AA's response and
indifference. And that will certainly be filed away for next time!
You have that prerogative, but also there really isn't a problem for AA (or you for that matter) until N+1 passengers check in for a N seat cabin. It is far more likely someone will cancel/misconnect than you be denied a seat.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fotographer
interesting, or am I getting it wrong.. OP was able to buy a J seat, but AA says J is full? AA way to go.. take the money up front and let the passenger worry about getting a seat!
sure there might be no shows. but still AA give the OP some practical solution.. paying for J and being in Y is not a solution..
Totally unacceptable. Not to mention when he gets downgraded into a Y seat it will be a middle in the ... of the plane since that's all that will be left.
Spiff and chitink like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yes, this is probably what I will end up doing. I've never tried Mint, so it might be a good trade after all. I have been totally unimpressed by AA's response and
Cancel and refund your ticket and book the 8:10am B6 flight to LAS. There's one seat left in Mint on the same day on that flight. Far better than sitting on a crAAp 738 for 6 hours anyway, and likely considerably cheaper than a full J fare.
Spiff, wrp96, Gig103 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:57 am

OP, it might also be worth considering asking to transfer to the great J on the transcon A321 to LAX and then connecting to LAS. You'll have FL access at JFK and LAX to smooth out the journey.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Are you in fact on a fully refundable J ticket? If so, this is easy.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
When you buy F, you expect to be able to select a seat. You call the carrier only to find out that flight appears to be oversold, and that you might end up flying in Y, they do not even mention about the fare difference, not the type of answer/outcome you are expecting. The customer service rep should have at least tried to find other routing options to get you to your destination in F, but just got brushed off, on to the next call in queue. Vote with your wallet, find a suitable route that works for you, where you can select your seat. You bought this ticket and you are still worried if you are even going to fly on the cabin you purchase, does not give any confidence.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
When you buy F, you expect to be able to select a seat. You call the carrier only to find out that flight appears to be oversold, and that you might end up flying in Y, they do not even mention about the fare difference, not the type of answer/outcome you are expecting. The customer service rep should have at least tried to find other routing options to get you to your destination in F, but just got brushed off, on to the next call in queue. Vote with your wallet, find a suitable route that works for you, where you can select your seat. You bought this ticket and you are still worried if you are even going to fly on the cabin you purchase, does not give any confidence.
Could not agree more. And I'm booked on Jet Blue.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

This gets worse! I held on to the AA flight that was a nonstop arriving in LAS at 10:26 AM, just in case a seat freed up. I just looked at my AA record to find that,
with NO notice, I was switched to a connection via LAX, arriving in LAS after 6 PM. Not sure if that canceled that flight together, but it is appalling that
this major change happened with no notification. So happy I have a Jetblue reservation.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
This gets worse! I held on to the AA flight that was a nonstop arriving in LAS at 10:26 AM, just in case a seat freed up. I just looked at my AA record to find that,
with NO notice, I was switched to a connection via LAX, arriving in LAS after 6 PM. Not sure if that canceled that flight together, but it is appalling that
this major change happened with no notification. So happy I have a Jetblue reservation.
It does appear that they cancelled the earlier flight all together. Shame on AA for not even notifying you.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The email address probably isn’t in the record. Or the email went to spam.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Oof. They probably put you in J rather than F on the JFK-LAX segment too.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by MCI777
It does appear that they cancelled the earlier flight all together. Shame on AA for not even notifying you.
That makes it easier to cancel since the schedule change is sufficiently big enough for that business ticket to qualify for a no-penalty cancellation:

If a schedule change is more than 120 minutes or flight cancelled, a refund of the ticket to the original form of payment (FOP) is allowed.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The email address probably isn’t in the record. Or the email went to spam.
They have had my email address forever. They used it to have me order my meal. Not in spam.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Oof. They probably put you in J rather than F on the JFK-LAX segment too.
Yes they did.....
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
That makes it easier to cancel since the schedule change is sufficiently big enough for that business ticket to qualify for a no-penalty cancellation:
Yes, but I still had to go through the motions of submitting my ticket number to them and am now waiting for it to be "approved."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.