FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Schedule Change w/ SWU applied — rebook on partner? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1960513-schedule-change-w-swu-applied-rebook-partner.html)

sombrachinesca Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am

Schedule Change w/ SWU applied — rebook on partner?

Hi all-

Currently have a mid-June ticket flying into LAX on AE / Compass from Vancouver and connecting onto AA 27 to Haneda.

Ticket booked in business on all segments (I-fare) and AA 27 upgraded to first using SWU.

Schedule changes since booking have reduced connection at LAX (Eagle’s Nest to T4) down to 36 minutes....

Should I be able to insist on a rebooking via JAL in first to NRT in order to preserve the already-applied upgrade ??

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Bill

JonNYC Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am

Definitely not.

enviroian Mar 12, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 30877934)
Hi all-

Currently have a mid-June ticket flying into LAX on AE / Compass from Vancouver and connecting onto AA 27 to Haneda.

Ticket booked in business on all segments (I-fare) and AA 27 upgraded to first using SWU.

Schedule changes since booking have reduced connection at LAX (Eagle’s Nest to T4) down to 36 minutes....

Should I be able to insist on a rebooking via JAL in first to NRT in order to preserve the already-applied upgrade ??

Bill

SWU's are not redeemable on AA partner airlines, they are AA issued instruments for AA metal only.

mvoight Mar 12, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 30877934)
Hi all-

Bill

They would put you in BC on AA 169 before they would put you on JL.
I doubt they will put you in FC on the JL flight.
Another option would be flying into LAX the night before if your really want FC (on AA27)

JonNYC Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am

Schedule irregularity: Very possible to get protected into the premium cabin for your SWU-upgraded class, especially AA-> JL.

Schedule change: not gonna happen for routine changes, would require highly unusual circumstances.

SamOF Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am

FWIW, I would not take a connection in the United States to fly AA first over JL business.

Just have them rebook you in I on the AA codeshare of JL's YVR-NRT nonstop—you'll have a great business class product and no hassle.

econometrics Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 30878132)
Just have them rebook you in I on the AA codeshare of JL's YVR-NRT nonstop—you'll have a great business class product and no hassle.

I second this. This is what I would aim for if I was in your position.

Andriyko Mar 12, 2019 2:12 pm

36 minutes is below MCT at LAX for this itinerary. AA allows rebooking onto codeshares (and the JL flight is also an AA*JL codeshare). I would call and ask to be rebooked. I am not sure how AA treats SWUs in this instance (in effect, you are already ticketed in first class so the agent should re-book you into first on JL), but it is definitely possible as per AA's own rules (and under an AA flight number), at least into the original (J) cabin.

lightbulbs Mar 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Since when did AA 27 get operated by a 77W? I thought it was a 789?

JonNYC Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by lightbulbs (Post 30880080)
Since when did AA 27 get operated by a 77W? I thought it was a 789?

Starts June 6:

sombrachinesca Mar 13, 2019 2:26 am

Thank you all for the input.

On the basis that the only other AA flight from LAX goes into NRT and doesn't have F, they were willing to drop the YVR-LAX flight and originate the itinerary directly from LAX.

Problem solved -- and easier for me to position to LAX than YVR.