Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When do AA miles expire? (18 months after last activity for those age >20)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Q. When do AAdvantage miles expire?

AAdvantage miles expire if there has been no activity in the member’s AAdvantage account for 18 months. However, the miles accumulated by those under 21 years of age will not expire; the expiry “clock” begins to run at the 21st birthday. This new policy began 1 Jul 2020, and is to be retroactive. (The date of last activity, not the posting date, is the date to pay attention to.)

Q. How can I keep my miles from expiring?

Just earn or redeem miles on American or with an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months. We’ll automatically extend your mileage expiration date 18 months from the date of your most recent activity.

Your wallet shows the number of miles you have and the earliest date they could expire. aa.com
Print Wikipost

When do AA miles expire? (18 months after last activity for those age >20)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
none of this "widely known" - this stuff is buried deep in webpages layered with ever-changing conditions which vary dramatically from carrier to carrier eg no expiry for DL B6, 24 mo for AS WN, 18 for AA UA..
Frontier is the worst (on a lot of levels). Expire after SIX MONTHS. geez.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by c1ue
It has been alluded to before, but any activity does not require purchase/earn. It can be also spend.
Redeem for a free ticket. Get an upgrade. Convert to/from a hotel or other program - although generally to is safer than from. Gift 1000 miles. etc etc.
So the followup question is if you redeem, then cancel within 24 hours, does that still count as activity?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So the followup question is if you redeem, then cancel within 24 hours, does that still count as activity?
My hunch is that it would not. And that even if it did, this loophole will be closed shortly if it's there in the first place.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Romelle
One can sign on through AA's site. I told OP earlier in this thread.
That's AA's own opinions program and not the e-rewards one that I'm referring to.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:35 pm

My account was closed; apparently, they expire?

I have not flown AA in a number of years, due a change in circumstances I was looking to book some travel. When I tried to log in, I couldn't get anything to work. I called in and after some time was told my account was closed because I had not used it in a while
While I knew miles could expire I kind of thought accounts were forever but apparently not the case
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp

There is a section for reinstatement if it is worth it to you.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by disalex
I have not flown AA in a number of years, due a change in circumstances I was looking to book some travel. When I tried to log in, I couldn't get anything to work. I called in and after some time was told my account was closed because I had not used it in a while
While I knew miles could expire I kind of thought accounts were forever but apparently not the case
Miles expire if there has been no recorded miles activity of any kind - earning or burning - for 18 months. But there are options for deactivation, and it’s easy to extend the life of the miles. Once an account is closed,I not sure there are options other than opening a new one.

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:58 am

Is there no notification eg via email to the customer that miles are expiring ?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by argonath
Is there no notification eg via email to the customer that miles are expiring ?
you know you are talking about AA right?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by fotographer
you know you are talking about AA right?
United does the same. My sister had her UA account closed due to inactivity. She had a large life time mile and very little RDM. She discovered it closed when try to log in for a UA reservation this year.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
United does the same. My sister had her UA account closed due to inactivity. She had a large life time mile and very little RDM. She discovered it closed when try to log in for a UA reservation this year.
They recently announced that miles would no longer expire in the future.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA
is AA the only of the major U.S. airlines that allows miles to expire? why?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile
is AA the only of the major U.S. airlines that allows miles to expire? why?
No, Most airline miles "expire" if there is no activity for 18-24 months. You have a number of inexpensive options to get a few miles (like buying miles or using the shopping portal, etc.) However, we are really talking about account deactivation if not used in a number of years.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by formeraa
No, Most airline miles "expire" if there is no activity for 18-24 months. You have a number of inexpensive options to get a few miles (like buying miles or using the shopping portal, etc.) However, we are really talking about account deactivation if not used in a number of years.
Well I know Delta's miles don't expire, United's don't, Southwest's don't, JetBlue's don't... what's with AA?
atbPy likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wiivile
Well I know Delta's miles don't expire, United's don't, Southwest's don't, JetBlue's don't... what's with AA?
United's used to expire,. I don't know about DL
I do know Hertz points expire as I just lost 770 points.
I was not aware Hertz points had an expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.