Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When do AA miles expire? (18 months after last activity for those age >20)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Q. When do AAdvantage miles expire?

AAdvantage miles expire if there has been no activity in the member’s AAdvantage account for 18 months. However, the miles accumulated by those under 21 years of age will not expire; the expiry “clock” begins to run at the 21st birthday. This new policy began 1 Jul 2020, and is to be retroactive. (The date of last activity, not the posting date, is the date to pay attention to.)

Q. How can I keep my miles from expiring?

Just earn or redeem miles on American or with an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months. We’ll automatically extend your mileage expiration date 18 months from the date of your most recent activity.

Your wallet shows the number of miles you have and the earliest date they could expire. aa.com
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Is there a certain period of time I have to use my award miles before they expire?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by abaa
Is there a certain period of time I have to use my award miles before they expire?
Your balance reverts to zero if your account is inactive (i.e. no miles earned or used) for 18 consecutive months.

Any activity (earning or spending miles) extends this expiry by another 18 months, regardless of when miles are earned.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Your balance reverts to zero if your account is inactive (i.e. no miles earned or used) for 18 consecutive months.

Any activity (earning or spending miles) extends this expiry by another 18 months, regardless of when miles are earned.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG
Do AA miles expire for those under 18?

Do AA miles expire for those under 18 if there is no activity for 18 months?

They do according to "My account" page, but I just wanted to confirm. I know that for Aeroplan points for those under 18 do not expire, but I understand that AA is a totally different program.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Yes, AA miles expire for each person if their account has no qualifying activity in a 18-month period. Even if they are under the age of 18.

When I was a minor, I found some easy ways to keep miles from expiring (surveys, weird promotions on aa.com, etc).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Yes, you can purchase something through an AA shopping portal or donate some miles every year to keep the accounts from expiring
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At https://magsformiles.com/20002742/ you can use miles (some at 500 miles) to purchase magazines.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:19 am

Read this thread for ways to keep your miles active for any age AAdvantage member
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Yeah, mine did. I sure was upset as a 16-year-old kettle when my 2,000 miles expired after 18 months of inactivity. This was a long time ago, but I bet they haven't changed anything.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: SPG
Ended up ordering magazine, sent to a random library in US for people there to enjoy, as we are in Canada so can't order to here. Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Vit007
Ended up ordering magazine, sent to a random library in US for people there to enjoy, as we are in Canada so can't order to here. Thanks!
Good, mutually-beneficial solution!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I would hope so! I would not be pleased with what would be blatant age discrimination if they did not expire for them like they do for the rest of us.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Will my miles really expire tomorrow?

Technically my current miles on my account will expire tomorrow. Will they actually expire tomorrow or is there some sort of grace period before they actually expire?

I'm trying to decide whether I should just purchase additional miles today so that my current miles don't expire, or if I can wait until April 3 when I'll be flying with AA and thus accrue miles so that my miles don't expire.

What should I do? Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

There is no grace period, though you will probably be able to pay to recover recently expired miles. Best is to make a purchase/redemption/donation of miles right away. The recommendation if you had more time would be to earn some miles at a restaurant by registering a credit card with AAdvantage Dining.

ETA: A commonly recommended, low-stakes, instant transaction to forestall expiration is redeeming a few hundred miles for a magazine subscription.
c1ue likes this.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
The recommendation if you had more time would be to earn some miles at a restaurant by registering a credit card with AAdvantage Dining.
For what it is worth I was recently in a similar situation and dined at a AAdvantage Dining Restaurant several weeks before expiration. It's been a month now and points have not posted. Fortunately, I decided to use one of their other miles-for-x deals to preserve my balance. Just be careful to use AAdvantage Dining very far in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.