Wiki Posts
Search

Basic economy and families w young kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Basic economy and families w young kids

I generally find that what AA has done since the introduction of Basic Economy fares is that they have jacked up the regular base fare they used to offer and in it's place offer the former price as BE with of course some important things lacking that you will then need to pay for or just not get. Ok, marketing geniuses at work, I get it. But what bugs me is that they dont have a setting to just shut it off... never show it to me, it will never work for me and I don't really care that you offer that price because I can never use it. I have three young kids and mostly travel with them and my wife when I am using AA.com, so the process of looking for tickets is always met with, "ooh that seems like a good price," followed by the realization that I will click on that date and not be able to use the fare at that price, but instead have to select a higher one. Whatever this product is and whoever it was created for, it is not for families with young kids. I actually find that whatever revenue benefits they might get across all customers, there is at least a segment where showing BE fares is a cheesy gimmick that will ultimately result in less price transparency than what used to exist.

AA, could build in a check box in our profile or on the search page that allows us to "never show BE fares"?
railmatt, GTITAN, DCP2016 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:42 pm

I know I am an outlier here and looking at the fares on the right side of the page, but even for me it’s easy see to the BE-Y are clearly delineated when looking for flights.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
AA will try to seat parents and kids together. Sometimes the seats are assigned soon after the ticketing. This actually creates an option value for family. If you like the seat, you can keep the seat. And if you don't like it, you can pay for the change.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ime airlines that dont assign seating due to fare will seat at least one adult together with kids. Never tried on AA but since i dont see any reports of such here (although sometimes it may go to the gatei assume its the same.

Many airlines dont advertise family seating practice hoping for more revenue from reserved seats but they definitely dont want bad publicity or even liability related to any issues enabled by small kid being seated away from parents.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are you shopping on AA.com or on a website like Kayak or Expedia? The latter are definitely pushing the BE fares.
​​​​​​
I do wish there was a way to disable BE fares since I won't buy them either.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
OP, I like your idea. I will never ever purchase a BE fare and would prefer to never see them as an option when I am logged into AA.com.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA will never do that. Too many people who say "never" wind up purchasing a BE fare. E.g.,
1. Micro-haul flight.
2. 2-2 seating, so no middles.
3. F & MCE are not really a valuable proposition.
4. Ticket cost < change fee and BE delta is significant.

I am not sure why this is a big deal. More people out there will never book an F seat, but aren't whining that it is displayed. Savvy consumers benefit from more choices.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
Are you shopping on AA.com or on a website like Kayak or Expedia? The latter are definitely pushing the BE fares.
​​​​​​
I'm waiting for the OP to come back and describe his fare search method. I see a column for BE, Main Cabin, and First in domestic searches on aa.com. I don't see the OP's difficulty.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm waiting for the OP to come back and describe his fare search method. I see a column for BE, Main Cabin, and First in domestic searches on aa.com. I don't see the OP's difficulty.

I think the OP is referring to when the price comes up initially it says "from $XXX " and it's not until you click it the matrix comes up stating it clearly .
apeortdz and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Got my 1st BE tix for the family and they ended up assigning us seats together in the back. Basically I only lost 15 rows but everything else is the same as a gold elite for this family.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Showing BE also messes up ones ability to properly sort by price, the least expensive BE fare will always show before the least expensive regular economy fare even if the regular economy fare is lower than the basic economy fare, I also wish there was a way for individual searches to block out BE with a checkbox or drop down, just like there is to only show business class fares.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well not that this is super helpful but if you want to use ITA Matrix, you can set it in advanced routing controls to F ~bc=B, and it will exclude "B fares" on AA. My favorite way to do it (both domestically and internationally) is <alliance oneworld; F ~bc=B.> (wiithout the "< >" of course). That way getting nothing but AA or One World fares.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
AA will never do that.
UA does it.

Remember that the airline doesn't actually want you to buy a basic economy fare. They want to advertise a low fare and then have you pay for a more expensive fare.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I think the OP is referring to when the price comes up initially it says "from $XXX " and it's not until you click it the matrix comes up stating it clearly .
I'm still waiting for the OP to clarify. That image I posted is the screen immediately after entering dates and hitting Search. Maybe other browsers work differently. That's from Chrome.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm still waiting for the OP to clarify. That image I posted is the screen immediately after entering dates and hitting Search. Maybe other browsers work differently. That's from Chrome.
maybe using google flights or something? However, I set my search toggle to Economy or PE usually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.