Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA coach award ticket DBV-PHX on 767 or Norwegian revenue??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs

I'm trying to get from Croatia to Phoenix in late September. I originally thought AA using 30k miles from Dubovnik to PHX but then I discovered it's on a 767-300 with no personal entertainment. Actually, AA says it's a 763 but seatguru says it's a 767-300. It hardly seems like it's worth the miles when I can take Norwegian from Split to LAX for $265 (of $365 including a checked bag and meals), then SWA etc to get to PHX.

Thoughts on how the AA 767 would compare to Norwegian 787?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Norwegian Y isn’t that bad (at least when I flew it BOS-LGW)... Really no different than AA Y.

Depends what you value your points at..
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:02 pm

Look at the Other European Airlines forum here: there's some question whether Norwegian will still be operating then. That's kept us from booking them BOS-FCO.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I'm trying to get from Croatia to Phoenix in late September. I originally thought AA using 30k miles from Dubovnik to PHX but then I discovered it's on a 767-300 with no personal entertainment. Actually, AA says it's a 763 but seatguru says it's a 767-300. It hardly seems like it's worth the miles when I can take Norwegian from Split to LAX for $265 (of $365 including a checked bag and meals), then SWA etc to get to PHX.

AA Boeing 767-300ER = 763. Same thing, just AA is using the IATA code.

Norwegian looks like it’s doing better at the moment, it they’re changing schedules to try and enhance their financial situation.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The AA 767s are pretty bad. Norwegian's economy is pretty standard, though I would say your experience on the Norwegian 787 in economy would likely be better than on AA's 767. With that said, I'm not really sure how you value your points or money so I can't really assess that. $365 inclusive of luggage and meals seems like a pretty good deal. Personally I would probably pay the difference for premium.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:02 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
While it’s true there are no personal TVs at every seat, The AA 767-300 has WiFi which will allow you to watch their movies and TV shows if you have a laptop, tablet or smartphone. There are also main screens around the cabin showing movies you can watch with headphones.

I would shy away from booking Norwegian at the moment.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The AA 767 is a known quantity - if only because it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years. Think of it as a 'classic' experience - with coach seats just a bit wider than you'll find in an AA or Norwegian 787.

767-300 / 763 [opinions and general discussion]
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While there are no guarantees, AA will almost certainly not fail between now and September. The same cannot be said for DY. If you do purchase DY and it fails, drops the route or changes the schedule, you are then in the position of having to purchase a new ticket at then prevailing prices. In addition, flying LAX-WN means retrieving your bags at LAX and physically lugging them to WN. If you no show for your WN flight, you will also be SOL and required to purchase new tickets, likely at its top price.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Originally Posted by PHL
While it’s true there are no personal TVs at every seat, The AA 767-300 has WiFi which will allow you to watch their movies and TV shows if you have a laptop, tablet or smartphone. There are also main screens around the cabin showing movies you can watch with headphones.

I would shy away from booking Norwegian at the moment.
We have one tablet and a splitter (it's my husband and I) we could use but I have read lots of comments about the 767-300 that you need an ac-dc adapter to use the power at the seat. Our tablet is old and the battery only lasts about 2 hours at the most. I also read the movies shown on the plane are old, like Ghostbusters old. If we go AA, I think we will be resigned to reading a paperback. I'm shaking my head because 15 years ago I wouldn't be posting this question. I'm spoiled because the last few years of long-haul travel have been on nice planes with personal entertainment and usb ports at each seat.

Another choice we have is Condor direct to PHX for about $350-499 pp but I've read lots of bad about Condor.

We only travel with carry-on but to be safe I would get one ticket with additional luggage just in case we acquire stuff--we'll be traveling 4 months.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have one tablet and a splitter (it's my husband and I) we could use but I have read lots of comments about the 767-300 that you need an ac-dc adapter to use the power at the seat. Our tablet is old and the battery only lasts about 2 hours at the most. I also read the movies shown on the plane are old, like Ghostbusters old. If we go AA, I think we will be resigned to reading a paperback. I'm shaking my head because 15 years ago I wouldn't be posting this question. I'm spoiled because the last few years of long-haul travel have been on nice planes with personal entertainment and usb ports at each seat.

Another choice we have is Condor direct to PHX for about $350-499 pp but I've read lots of bad about Condor.

We only travel with carry-on but to be safe I would get one ticket with additional luggage just in case we acquire stuff--we'll be traveling 4 months.
For flights that long, seat comfort is number 1 with me. I can (and do) take a power bank with me for my e-devices and books still work. The AA 767s haven’t been refitted with USB etc. because they’re retiring in favor of 787s.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If it's two of you, 763 2-3-2 seating beats 787 3-3-3 seating unless you luck out with getting an empty seat next to you. For two people, a 2 seat section is as good as you'll get in Y these days.

You can get a converter or possible a power bank and that should work fine.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
If it's two of you, 763 2-3-2 seating beats 787 3-3-3 seating unless you luck out with getting an empty seat next to you. For two people, a 2 seat section is as good as you'll get in Y these days.

You can get a converter or possible a power bank and that should work fine.
AC/DC power are only in rows 12-13. All other rows have no power at all
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
If you're ok flying in economy anyways, I'd go with AA despite the ancient 767. I've had far too many journeys go awry, so these days I value flying from A to B on a single ticket very highly.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:51 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
We have one tablet and a splitter (it's my husband and I) we could use but I have read lots of comments about the 767-300 that you need an ac-dc adapter to use the power at the seat. Our tablet is old and the battery only lasts about 2 hours at the most. I also read the movies shown on the plane are old, like Ghostbusters old. .
You may consider buying a portable battery pack to extend some of your device battery life. The movies are a mix of old "classics" and current films that are in theaters within the past few months. And there are a ton of TV shows too. You can check the listings during the month of your flight. Don't forget to download the AA App to your device before traveling. It's needed to watch the onboard streaming content.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Maybe consider different entry/departure points in Europe and then take the train into Croatia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.