Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Award USA to OTP, avoiding BA and their obscene fees

Am looking to get First Class from USA (PHL, EWR, JFK) to Bucharest OTP in early fall using miles. Then I saw the fees from BA.

Now trying to find a way to get close to Bucharest not using BA, then take train. AA map made it appear there are nonstop flights from PHL to Dubrovnik (DBV) as well as CLT to Munich (MUC) but when I try to book using SAAver miles they all go through LHR.

What cities in continental Europe can be reached from USA without BA and are likely to have SAAver first class seats six months from now?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
The fee on BA from LHR to Europe isn't that bad, so as long as you take AA across the Atlantic, the total cost won't be so bad. I doubt you will find much space on AA to non-LHR destinations, but you never know.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:46 pm

Of course nothing is easy.

All of the one stop flights use BA to LHR, the BA to OTP.

AA flight goes to ORD first and then to LHR, or goes through Washington DC requiring transfers (DCA to IAD)

Even with avoiding the USA to LHR leg on BA, the fees still come out to over $800

I'd rather fly directly to the continent first class and then take the train. That $800 will get me a great seat as well as an incredible hotel room.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Via MAD? (Nb IB MAD-OTP is seasonal, not sure what the season is)

or AY via HEL to SOF? Then train

ETA: sorry didn’t spot the F part
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gregleck
AA map made it appear there are nonstop flights from PHL to Dubrovnik (DBV) as well as CLT to Munich (MUC) but when I try to book using SAAver miles they all go through LHR.
There are such flights - seasonally. They don't have F - they top out at Business.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

AA flight goes to ORD first and then to LHR, or goes through Washington DC requiring transfers (DCA to IAD)

Even with avoiding the USA to LHR leg on BA, the fees still come out to over $800

I'd rather fly directly to the continent first class and then take the train. That $800 will get me a great seat as well as an incredible hotel room.
$800 seems very high for only one intra-Europe segment on BA.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Note CLT-MUC once started will not be seasonal but is year round. CLT is seasonal to CDG and FCO. Year round also includes FRA. Note, you could also check business class on IB from the cities it flies to. DFW and ORD also have continental stops too. Checkout AA destination map at AA.com

Safe Travels
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am looking to get First Class from USA (PHL, EWR, JFK) to Bucharest OTP in early fall using miles. Then I saw the fees from BA.

Now trying to find a way to get close to Bucharest not using BA, then take train. AA map made it appear there are nonstop flights from PHL to Dubrovnik (DBV) as well as CLT to Munich (MUC) but when I try to book using SAAver miles they all go through LHR.

What cities in continental Europe can be reached from USA without BA and are likely to have SAAver first class seats six months from now?
Note that flights with first class are limited. Intra EU flights will only have business class at best.
Have you flown international first and/or business class? Not just USA domestic first

BA IB----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)

AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
$800 seems very high for only one intra-Europe segment on BA.
$810, actually. Over $1600 if I use BA for PHL - LHR - OTP
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Note that flights with first class are limited. Intra EU flights will only have business class at best.
Have you flown international first and/or business class? Not just USA domestic first
Many times over the years, including:

LHR to HKG
EWR to LHG
ORD to PNG
PHL to CDG
SYD to DFW
AKL to LAX
BCN to JFK

My first experience with first class flight was under circumstances which would never happen today. It was 1981 and I was a 20 year old student flying coach from PEK to JFK on board China Airlines. My younger brother was with me. Though not as old as I, he was far more savvy in the ways of the world. Waiting to board the plane in PEK, he chatted up an older couple who were flying first class. He learned their final destination was LAX. He also noted their seat assignments.

The flight was horrible. Cramped, full to brim, and long. We arrived in LAX, where we deplaned to clear customs. As we trudged through the terminal, younger brother informed me that 1.) No new passengers could board, since that would put China Air in direct competition with the domestic USA flights, and 2.) The entire airline crew would be changed in LAX for the final leg to JFK.

And, he knew exactly which two seats would be empty in first class for that LAX to JFK flight.

So he rehearsed it with me. Walk through the jet way, board the plane, and, without hesitation, turn left and go to this seat in first class. "Walk in there like you own the plane," he ordered me.

When the time came, we boarded the plane, but when I reached the aisle to either turn left to first class or right to coach, I, despite admonitions not to freeze up, did exactly that. A sharp punch in my back propelled me forward and I turned left. That 5-1/2 hour flight to JFK in first class was heaven.

In subsequent years, my brother turned his talents toward legitimate pursuits and retired very comfortably at by age 40. I'm still working 60 hours a week.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just avoid BA on the USA-LHR segment and you'll be fine. I quickly found a business PHL-RDU-LHR-OTP for 57.K miles and $30.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

If you're talking about a transfer to IAD, you're looking at British Airways for the transatlantic segment. AA doesn't have any flights to Europe out of IAD.

What posters are suggesting is flying American Airlines over the Atlantic. Taxes and fees are not over $800 if only your intra-European segment is on BA.
iadisgreat and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
IB via MAD truly is your best option to avoid the BA taxes but now their availability is about as fruitful as AA saver J--basically zero.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where are you originating? That may make a difference as to US gateway.

Are you wedded to F vs. J for the TATL segment?

Just a reminder that the intra-European J segment will be an all coach configuration with the middle seat blocked.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Where are you originating? That may make a difference as to US gateway.

Are you wedded to F vs. J for the TATL segment?

Just a reminder that the intra-European J segment will be an all coach configuration with the middle seat blocked.
Post 1 ---->Am looking to get First Class from USA (PHL, EWR, JFK)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.