Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to expand to Africa and India?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So AA wants to ignore low hanging fruit like TLV and go to DEL and MUM and CMN? Sure.
I understand wanting to fly to Africa, but why MUM of all places in Africa?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I understand wanting to fly to Africa, but why MUM of all places in Africa?
Guessing he meant BOM. I'd be stunned to see AA reenter India.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has 20 788s and 22 more to come starting next year. AA has 22 789s in service and 25 more on order.

Not to mention “AA expansion into Africa” includes RAM operated AA marketed.
Could we perhaps see PHL to China with the future 78x fleet? LUS had the route authority to PVG(or was it PEK?) but never started it due to changes in economic conditions at the time.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver

Not to mention “AA expansion into Africa” includes RAM operated AA marketed.
I wouldn't agree there, they're talking about AA-operated to Morocco.

And, I do expect PHL-TLV to come back at this point, sometime next year.
donotblink likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PHL
Could we perhaps see PHL to China with the future 78x fleet?
No. The idea of PHL or CLT to Asia is far-fetched. AA has LAX, DFW (and increasingly less, ORD) for Asia ops.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No. The idea of PHL or CLT to Asia is far-fetched. AA has LAX, DFW (and increasingly less, ORD) for Asia ops.
And there is non-stop service out to NRT out of JFK (2x daily), EWR (1x daily), BOS (1x daily), and IAD (2x daily). I think a 788 or 789 could easily do a city pair like this.

The one that folks seem to be puzzled over is MIA-NRT. IIRC, its out of the range envelope of the 788 and basically out of range for the 789 without significant penalty. IIRC, the only aircraft that can do it without penalty is the A350 and AA doesn't have plans to take that aircraft.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dn10
https://skift.com/2019/03/07/america...aul-expansion/

Looks like next year when they get some more 787s. Wonder where in Africa, especially after their One World partnership with Royal Air Morocco.
AA's BOM route didn't last for very long a few years ago. (OK, maybe more than a few by now)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Talking

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Hey a boy from CLT can dream for a non-stop to Asia.

Safe Travels
BarrenLucidity likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA's BOM route didn't last for very long a few years ago. (OK, maybe more than a few by now)
It was DEL.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
it was Ord to Del
Aa were never flying to BOM
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So AA wants to ignore low hanging fruit like TLV and go to DEL and MUM and CMN? Sure.
I'm not sure that AA would go to Kenya or Morocco. I'd assume they'd do something like MIA-JNB. I think DL does (or did?) ATL-JNB, with a stop somewhere along the way back (with the air currents they can make it there ok),

Others that I'd suspect in India would be DEL and BOM.

Years ago (maybe around 2010), US had applied (and was approved) to fly PHL-PVG on yet-to-be-owned A340s. But that never materialized. So the management does have ideas that may never happen.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
non stops to Africa. There does appear to be an opportunity to enter the market. I would submit that business and tourism may provide increased demand. We are going with friends in august and staging in AMS then on KLM in and out. We would all have preferred to go directly to the continent on a OW flight. BA did not fly to our first entry point. Oneworld lost some money on this trip.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/direct-fli...africa-1454130
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
I think DL does (or did?) ATL-JNB, with a stop somewhere along the way back (with the air currents they can make it there ok).

DL currently flies ATL-JNB daily, nonstop in both directions, and has for years. They use a 777-200LR, a plane AA doesn’t have; maybe the 773 can do it? When DL started that route, it was a different plane (don’t remember which) and they stopped in Dakar. I think it was at some times a scheduled stop picking up passengers in both directions and at other times a fuel only stop in one direction, but not sure.

And I think the stop in Dakar had as much to do with the hot/high nature of JNB limiting the takeoff weight as the winds.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, I do expect PHL-TLV to come back at this point, sometime next year.
Any more details here?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by ashill
DL currently flies ATL-JNB daily, nonstop in both directions, and has for years. They use a 777-200LR, a plane AA doesn’t have; maybe the 773 can do it? When DL started that route, it was a different plane (don’t remember which) and they stopped in Dakar. I think it was at some times a scheduled stop picking up passengers in both directions and at other times a fuel only stop in one direction, but not sure.

And I think the stop in Dakar had as much to do with the hot/high nature of JNB limiting the takeoff weight as the winds.
As best I recall: when DL launched their S. Africa service, there were two routes: JFK & ATL to CPT & JNB. In both directions, each of the planes stopped at roughly the same times at the same intermediate port, where passengers could interconnect between the two flights. Result was essentially four one-stop routes, with just two planes: JFK-JNB, JFK-CPT, ATL-JNB, ATL-CPT.

Seemed clever at the time; but the CPT service wasn't long for the world, and without that, the intermediate stop no longer made any sense.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.