Wiki Posts
Search

AA to expand to Africa and India?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

AA to expand to Africa and India?

https://skift.com/2019/03/07/america...aul-expansion/

Looks like next year when they get some more 787s. Wonder where in Africa, especially after their One World partnership with Royal Air Morocco.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As more 787's come on line, others will be retired like the 23 767-300's and 9 A330-300's. Granted, those older aircraft don't have the range for US - Asia/Africa, but if they put 2 787's on a long haul route, and they are phasing out 32 other wide bodies, what routes will suffer?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So AA wants to ignore low hanging fruit like TLV and go to DEL and MUM and CMN? Sure.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So AA wants to ignore low hanging fruit like TLV and go to DEL and MUM and CMN? Sure.
Agreeed that Africa/India speculation is silly but AA doesn't want to deal with its issue with the Israeli government (I think something about pensions dating back to TWA days) therefore wouldn't call TLV low hanging fruit at this time.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by PHL
As more 787's come on line, others will be retired like the 23 767-300's and 9 A330-300's. Granted, those older aircraft don't have the range for US - Asia/Africa, but if they put 2 787's on a long haul route, and they are phasing out 32 other wide bodies, what routes will suffer?
Routes from JFK, I'm sure.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
You mean I can fly to BOM without using BA
that would be nice
dp4m likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by neo_781
Agreeed that Africa/India speculation is silly but AA doesn't want to deal with its issue with the Israeli government (I think something about pensions dating back to TWA days) ...
Not an issue.
econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Agreeed that Africa/India speculation is silly but AA doesn't want to deal with its issue with the Israeli government (I think something about pensions dating back to TWA days) therefore wouldn't call TLV low hanging fruit at this time.
AA was flying to Israel after the merger.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
TLV has lots of competition. AA's CEO likes to focus on markets with little or no competition.

Originally Posted by jordyn
Routes from JFK, I'm sure.
And routes from ORD, probably.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:39 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Parker said PHL-TLV was losing money for years. NYC-TLV has more competition, so I'm not seeing that as a low hanging fruit for them since they've tried it already.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by PHL
Parker said PHL-TLV was losing money for years. NYC-TLV has more competition, so I'm not seeing that as a low hanging fruit for them since they've tried it already.
Be sure to keep the timing in mind. AA pulled PHL-TLV and had -no- competition on the route, then other carriers subsequently added NYC-TLV flights and seem content to hold those flights or even add more flights.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PHL
AA has 20 788s and 22 more to come starting next year. AA has 22 789s in service and 25 more on order.

Not to mention “AA expansion into Africa” includes RAM operated AA marketed.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
What you're attempting to recall is a legal issue dating back to AA taking over TWA. The Israeli TWA ground workers were not compensated for terminations under Israeli law by AA when they closed the TLV TWA station.

It was a whopping 60M NIS, or $16.5M USD at today's exchange rate.

That's not insignificant money, but also isn't much when considering launching a route to a major destination like TLV.

So, no, as JonNYC said... this is not an issue.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by skunker

AA was flying to Israel after the merger.
I think there were still two operating certificates/call signs. They canceled the route before full integration.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think there were still two operating certificates/call signs. They canceled the route before full integration.
No, they canceled it after they received the single operating certificate on 8 April 2015. But they did announce the cancelation a few months after this.
Mr. Vker likes this.

Last edited by econometrics; Mar 8, 2019 at 10:49 am Reason: Corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.