Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Oasis refit: ~14 738 AA planes temp. grounded for bin irregularities

Oasis refit: ~14 738 AA planes temp. grounded for bin irregularities

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by boerne
That sux
Don't make fun of his Kiwi accent
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:34 am

Zip ties instead of bolts? How far behind do you have to fall that installing a zip tie is that much faster than a bolt? Then again, from the pictures above, the bolts don't look like the right ones anyway if they were supposed to hold the 2 green parts together, that's quite a gap left.
JDiver and newbiztraveler like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I wonder how much effect this have on the schedule over the next few weeks. My ORD-SLC next Thursday evening got cancelled overnight, leaving with few feasible options for rebooking. It was supposed to be a 738.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
I wonder if this is why my DCA-ORD flight was canceled last night. It was canceled almost 11 hours early.

On a side note, I don't know how we do it, but people really need to learn how to put bags in sideways in the space bins. On the DCA-ORD flight I actually flew (also Oasis), even a deadheading pilot put his bag in the wrong way. I mentioned to one lady as she put her bag in the bin that she could flip it sideways, and she looked at me like I was speaking Russian or something.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
If the overhead bins are this bad - what is going on with the rest of the aircraft? Terrifying tbh.
SouthernCross and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
I wonder if this is why my DCA-ORD flight was canceled last night. It was canceled almost 11 hours early.
Yes, my midcon from DFW to ONT was cancelled with the same very early notice, and I have seen Oasis on that route a few times. Because of this new detail, I will now contact AA to ask about my additional ground costs due to arriving at LAX.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I noticed when I boarded my oasis flight yesterday there was a bin opened with bags in it lined up like JDiver's pic above however it was very slanted on one side......It looked like it was about to fall on top of the poor passenger below it.

I wonder if that plane is in the air today.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Please please this to be a turning point for the horrible Oasis project!!!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
If the overhead bins are this bad - what is going on with the rest of the aircraft? Terrifying tbh.
No. Most routine, periodic and unscheduled maintenance is performed by AA mechanics. They basically act like their family or friends might be flying on aircraft they work on. The Oasis bin installation is outsourced to TSI at Paine Field. Please, let’s get a grip.
cedric, geo1005, KBMIFlyer and 6 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2019 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
After flying an Oasis'd 738 frame (which was modded at KPAE), I can see how this is a serious issue. The bins fold open a lot more, and more downward as well. If something really did come lose and break apart, that would be dangerous with more bags per bin to fall out.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
On a side note, I don't know how we do it, but people really need to learn how to put bags in sideways in the space bins. On the DCA-ORD flight I actually flew (also Oasis), even a deadheading pilot put his bag in the wrong way. I mentioned to one lady as she put her bag in the bin that she could flip it sideways, and she looked at me like I was speaking Russian or something.
I was on a DL flight recently with these bins, the graphic inside the bin displaying the proper storage method was large, clear and visible, but people are stupid.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I was on a DL flight recently with these bins, the graphic inside the bin displaying the proper storage method was large, clear and visible, but people are stupid.
I agree. I flew oasised 737 few days ago and saw that most pax in F and MCE were not putting their bags sideways. If frequent fliers cant figure it out I can only imagine whats going on in the back of the bus. I mean its a common sense. How hard is to utilize the limited space correctly ?? FAs announced a few times to ensure that all bags go sideways, but it didnt help and boarding was a shitshow.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Link to NBC Channel 5 Video.

Incorrectly routed cabling, missing bolts, loose bolts, zip ties substituted for bolts on two aircraft, twelve more grounded for inspection. AA mechanics said some bins were popping open. These are the new Space bins that allow six bags instead of four per bin. These bins were fitted as part of the Oasis retrofit by ATS / Aviation Technical Services at PAE / Paine Field, Washington. Only ATS has been implicated in the bin installation errors.

Link to Skift article.
These would seem to be safety issues.

Where were the supervisors and inspectors when the work was being done? One would hope that if someone had used a zip tie instead of a bolt on an overhead bin, this would be immediately obvious and something that doesn't require an expert to recognize as a serious problem.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These would seem to be safety issues.

Where were the supervisors and inspectors when the work was being done? One would hope that if someone had used a zip tie instead of a bolt on an overhead bin, this would be immediately obvious and something that doesn't require an expert to recognize as a serious problem.
oasis torture chambers are so uncomfortable so contractors and inspectors who did this were in a rush to get out of there ASAP lol
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
Please please this to be a turning point for the horrible Oasis project!!!
We all wish, but that's unrealistic. The problem (in relation to the grounding of the planes) is the installation, not the product itself. It could have just as easily happened if they were installing larger seats and AVOD. Crappy work is crappy work, it has nothing to do with the product.
JDiver, Djokison, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.