Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 787-9 vs. BA 747 in Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

AA 787-9 vs. BA 747 in Premium Economy

I'll be flying through LHR next month and will be in premium economy for the TATL segment. I have the option between a BA 747 and an AA 789. Looking for opinons on which is a better product? Best I could find is that BA hasn't really updated their PE experience over the past 10 years, while US carriers have been rolling out their product more recently.

Also wondering if someone can clarify how partner mileage earnings credit for AA. I'm most familiar with DL where only the marketing carrier matters for earnings. However reading AA's website it sounds like the marketing AND operating carrier determines if get do fare-based or milage-based earning, E.g. BA9876 operated by AA would earn based on fare paid, whereas BA1234 operated by BA will earn based on miles-flown using the partner charts. Is this correct?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:39 am

AA789 by a country mile for me.

driven by flight number - if AA flight number, earns as AA charts. If BA flight number, earns as BA charts.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I'll be flying through LHR next month and will be in premium economy for the TATL segment. I have the option between a BA 747 and an AA 789. Looking for opinons on which is a better product? Best I could find is that BA hasn't really updated their PE experience over the past 10 years, while US carriers have been rolling out their product more recently.

Also wondering if someone can clarify how partner mileage earnings credit for AA. I'm most familiar with DL where only the marketing carrier matters for earnings. However reading AA's website it sounds like the marketing AND operating carrier determines if get do fare-based or milage-based earning, E.g. BA9876 operated by AA would earn based on fare paid, whereas BA1234 operated by BA will earn based on miles-flown using the partner charts. Is this correct?
The PE hard product is much better on the AA 789 vs. the BA 747. Food might be slightly better on AA since on TATL you get a business class entree (but not the same plating). Beverages are a wash.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Definitely the AA 789 PE.

The high-J, refurbished BA 747 PE product is pretty good, but I think AA wins overall here. The IFE is much better on AA, too, IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Agreed with all of this. Plus BA has not internet.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Agreed with all of this. Plus BA has not internet.
Actually, all but one of the 86J (high-J) 747's (17 of them) have Wifi. None of the lower-J (16 of them) do.

The only high-J 747 without Wifi is G-CIVG.

Depending on the OP's route, they could have Wifi. BA is somewhat consistent with the routes for the higher or lower J 747's.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just from an aircraft standpoint, regardless of airline, 787 all the way baby. Lower altitude cabin, higher humidity, much better on the body and you have less jet lag.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From a cabin and seat perspective, AA has fewer seats, but fewer middle type seats. The AA seat is the newer MiQ. SeatGuru AA 789, BA 744 C86.
Attached Images   
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PPro
OK I will take the other position for fun. I have flown WTP many years ago and more recently AA's PE. If the BA plane you are looking at is the old WTP product, I would stick with AA no question, as the seats and IFE in particular are quite tired on the older BA planes now. If you are very confident the BA plane has their updated hard product, I would consider it personally. Not all that many changes left to fly in the queen of the skies. I have found BA's soft product to be very good (and has recently been updated), where AA's soft product on PE was more like MCE-Extra in my opinion. If the mile/qualifying situation is better with the codeshare also in your routing, I would consider that another plus.

You should have a pretty good chance of being offered the option to pay up for a J upgrade on BA also, clearly J is better on AA, but I would say less of a chance of that being offered (I am talking paid upgrades at check in assuming no status upgrades at play).

In either case if it is an overnight flight I would try and get a bulkhead seat with a true legrest for sleep, vs the little flip down footrest. I certainly don't think you would go wrong sticking with AA if you like.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I would choose the AA seat in a heartbeat. I don't particularly enjoy the BA soft product, but you're really buying PE for the seat. And in that aspect, AA is the clear winner.

Another thing to note if you're buying your ticket yourself (as opposed to an employer-funded ticket). If you don't have OneWorld elite status and want to select a seat prior to check-in, you'll have to add a hefty sum to the cost of the BA flight.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
No 747 has the new PE seat (2010) on BA. Some 747s have new seat cushions and fabric, but they aren't the 2010 WTP product. Not all of the 747s have decent IFE either. You either get ancient IFE and an old 2000 model seat or you get good IFE and new fabric/cushions on a 2000-era seat. Also on BA you will have to pay for seat assignments too depending on status level.

I've flown in the 2000 WTP, 2010 WTP and AA's MiQ seat. I'd rank the 2010 WTP and MiQ relatively equal with a slight edge to BA 2010 seat if anything, and the 2000 WTP seat dead last.

I personally really like WTP but in this instance I'd choose AA.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA without a doubt. The 787 PE is new in a new plane. BA ‘s PE is years outdated and it doesn’t help you’re probably going to flying on a 30 year old dinosaur.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by airb330
No 747 has the new PE seat (2010) on BA. Some 747s have new seat cushions and fabric, but they aren't the 2010 WTP product. Not all of the 747s have decent IFE either. You either get ancient IFE and an old 2000 model seat or you get good IFE and new fabric/cushions on a 2000-era seat. Also on BA you will have to pay for seat assignments too depending on status level.

I've flown in the 2000 WTP, 2010 WTP and AA's MiQ seat. I'd rank the 2010 WTP and MiQ relatively equal with a slight edge to BA 2010 seat if anything, and the 2000 WTP seat dead last.

I personally really like WTP but in this instance I'd choose AA.
Ohh ok, my bad, I had thought the super high J refit ones had the WTP seats replaced.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would probably agree that the 789 is the better choice. I did LAX - NRT and return in one last year and it was a very good experience. I have flown BA on their refurbished 86J 747 and wasn't impressed, either with the cabin or the food or general attitude.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Relating to BA's 747 fleet. Of the 34 aircraft in service,

23 have refurbished cabins with mood lighting and the latest Panasonic eX3 IFE
5 have refreshed seats with the old Rockwell Collins IFE
6 have yet to be refurbished

All now receive the improved meal services and will receive new pillows, blankets, and amenity kits this Spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.