Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA.COM can't compute age at travel time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

AA.COM can't compute age at travel time

Seems AA.COM is not smart enough to compute the passenger age at the actual day that of the flight. I am trying to book for somebody that is 15 years old now, but will be already 16 then. But it doesn't let me and tells me booking for unaccompanied minors can't be done online. And it is not that his birthday is precisely at that day or even the day before, it is a couple of months before the flight.

I wonder just out of curiosity if it also works the other way around. If you book for somebody that is child at booking time but not at travel time, do you get the child discount anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:10 am

Just call it in and ask for the fee to be waived or add a year to the DOB - It can be changed later.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
What discount?

Originally Posted by lostfly
Seems AA.COM is not smart enough to compute the passenger age at the actual day that of the flight. I am trying to book for somebody that is 15 years old now, but will be already 16 then. But it doesn't let me and tells me booking for unaccompanied minors can't be done online. And it is not that his birthday is precisely at that day or even the day before, it is a couple of months before the flight.

I wonder just out of curiosity if it also works the other way around. If you book for somebody that is child at booking time but not at travel time, do you get the child discount anyway.

Last edited by JohnDCA; Mar 6, 2019 at 9:01 am Reason: Bolded
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JohnDCA
What discount?
Most of the international fares I've searched for do offer a ~20% discount. For example, this is on AA125/AA126:

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
What discount?
Children under 2 fly get a 100% discount, domestically, as lap children.

And no, you can't book at ticket when your kid is 22 months and fly for free 6 months later.

I had the same age 15/16 exit row seat issue - I think I posted about it here. No, AA wn't account for it online..
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mrwhizzard
Most of the international fares I've searched for do offer a ~20% discount. For example, this is on AA125/AA126:

Child fares only apply to those 11 years of age or younger
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:41 pm

Frustrating, but not as bad as UA. Their web site won't accept my address for some reason. When I called in they suggested I didn't know my own address.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lostfly
Easy to slag off AA, but it's not really that simple, is it. Suppose that the system does the math and gives the discount. Now you change the travel date to back before his birthday, and he's 15 again. So in order to effect what you want, AA would have to recalculate each passenger's age at every change, no? And then they would have to make all sorts of other changes to the ticket, the ones for UMs.

They've probably decided that it happens in few enough instances that it's not worth the non-trivial programming effort.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Easy to slag off AA, but it's not really that simple, is it. Suppose that the system does the math and gives the discount. Now you change the travel date to back before his birthday, and he's 15 again. So in order to effect what you want, AA would have to recalculate each passenger's age at every change, no? And then they would have to make all sorts of other changes to the ticket, the ones for UMs.

They've probably decided that it happens in few enough instances that it's not worth the non-trivial programming effort.
For a 15 year old , there is no child discount
If it was for a child, then when making any change , then there would be a reissue required and no reason for the system not to then determine that a child discount no longer applies and switch to an adult fare basis

It hardly seems unreasonable to expect the system to work out a passenger's age as of date of travel rather than date of booking
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It hardly seems unreasonable to expect the system to work out a passenger's age as of date of travel rather than date of booking
But what about other changes? Does the passenger (now/no longer) require UM status? Is the passenger (now/no longer) eligible for senior discount? And take the senior discount. If the person is no longer eligible for senior discount, then there may be an additional collection. I can see arguments with phone agents about this, once the pax finds out that since s/he's no longer a senior, it will cost more. IMO it can get very complicated, and I can see AA's decision not to program it in.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

True but, frankly, if you need age then it's much smarter, and easier in the long-run, to ask DOB so that age can be resolved at any time than to ask for a number that is only valid for a short period. Any smart programmer would know that and capturing DOB makes resolving age with flight changes a pretty trivial calculation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
True but, frankly, if you need age then it's much smarter, and easier in the long-run, to ask DOB so that age can be resolved at any time than to ask for a number that is only valid for a short period. Any smart programmer would know that and capturing DOB makes resolving age with flight changes a pretty trivial calculation.
The calculation's trivial, of course; but if status changes, the effects are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.