FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum Select and Barclay's Aviator credit cards nuke 10% miles rebate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1959474-citi-aa-platinum-select-barclays-aviator-credit-cards-nuke-10-miles-rebate.html)

sdsearch Mar 2, 2019 4:56 pm

Citi AA Platinum Select and Barclay's Aviator credit cards nuke 10% miles rebate

The 10% rebate (capped at 10k annually) on mileage redemptions, which has been enabled by certain Barclay and Citi AA cards, is ending on May 1:

Big Changes to Barclays American AAdvantage Credit Cards Coming May 1
(VFTW)

Citi American Airlines Card To Lose 10% Rebate Benefit On May 1st
(DoC)

jliehr Mar 2, 2019 5:01 pm

Guess I will downgrade/cancel that one

BarrenLucidity Mar 2, 2019 7:24 pm

Ouch:(

fotoflyer88 Mar 2, 2019 9:49 pm

As a cardholder of the Citi Executive Card as well - this is the only reason the other card stayed open.
bye-bye.

Shadowfactor Mar 3, 2019 8:31 am

Not happy with the changes. That 10% rebate was worth alot more then the wifi credit

no2chem Mar 3, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah cancelling this card, seems pretty useless to me now.
Unless they somehow make the miles earnings better than my other cards...

Also AA miles seem to be not that useful anymore, I tend to prefer programs that let me just generate $ so I can just buy a ticket instead

Tanic Mar 3, 2019 1:03 pm

In addition, the 10k mile annual bonus that Barclays Red gave to LUS cardholders for renewal will end with one final bonus.

monvoyage Mar 5, 2019 9:52 am

Citi AA Platinum Select nukes 10% miles rebate

This just arrived in my inbox:
  • American Airlines flight discount will increase from $100 to $125 after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your card membership year and renew your card*
  • The 10% redeemed American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles back benefit will be discontinued. You can still redeem your miles on or before April 30, 2019, to earn 10% miles back*
BOOOOOOOOOO on the second count. I love getting my award tickets at 10% fewer miles.

awb824 Mar 5, 2019 9:59 am

That was the only reason I kept this card. I will probably cancel.

GNRMatt Mar 5, 2019 10:19 am

This is happening on Barclays too as of 5/1/19

arollins Mar 5, 2019 10:27 am

Guess lots of people will be cancelling their AA cards soon.

Austin787 Mar 5, 2019 11:11 am

One less reason to keep the card. I will probably switch to the no annual fee version.

Good luck with the credit card pitches - guess fewer people will sign up for the card.

monvoyage Mar 5, 2019 11:18 am

I use mine for my travel business and have a TON of foreign currency transactions, so that is a plus for me. On the other hand, I have a Capital One card for $20 with no FCT fees.

The new $125 credit is achievable for me because of the aforementioned heavy use, but I would still rather have the mileage discount.

It was bad enough when they started making gold status almost worthless but this is just adding insult to injury.

bluedog44 Mar 5, 2019 12:40 pm

I called today to see about canceling. He said no offers. Said I would have 60 days after the annual fee posts (or payment date?) to get it refunded so I decided to call back in a few weeks to see if I have offers. My $95 fee is due this month. Could downgrade to the new no-fee AA MileUp card but prob won't. I try not to fly AA now but the 10% refund on awards is worth it this year but now ... nope.

guv1976 Mar 5, 2019 12:40 pm

While I too am disappointed by the elimination of the 10% rebate, once the card started offering double miles on restaurant and gas station charges to compete with the Chase/UA card, it was probably inevitable that something had to give. At least the AA cards still give access to reduced-mileage-award destinations for those who can benefit from them.