Print Wikipost

AA & Hyatt announce partnership 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by _kurt
Here's what my email offered:

Has anyone received the actual AA promotion yet? If so please post the terms & conditions. They don't say how long the promotional status is valid for. On the blogs, people are speculating 90 days like a normal AA challenge which would make sense.
From my offer (Hyatt Explorist):

Take your World of Hyatt Explorist status to the next level and enjoy free AAdvantage® Gold status for 3 months after you register.

Keep your AAdvantage® Gold status through January 31, 2021 by earning the required Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and either the required Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) between the date you register and the date 3 months after you register:
  • $1,000 EQDs and either 7,000 EQMs or 8 EQSs
Rules:

Qualifying EQDs, EQMs and EQSs to extend status are earned when you fly on eligible tickets for flights operated by American Airlines or marketed by American, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.
It's not immensely useful to me- I have a couple of BA flights that I could credit to AA this summer, but waaaaay below the EQD/EQMs they want (do I want to burn a Gold status match for two business class checkins? Naaaah, I can get lounge access and more miles crediting to AS anyway), a couple of UL J flights that I booked through UL and would credit to AA (where I have a marginally useful balance, more so than BA at the moment)... EXCEPT one of them happens early 2020, so only one would credit as a Gold anyway (and still way below EQM anyway). Womp womp, sad trombone.

Out of SEA and my travel patterns don't work well with going to AA hubs (tbh WN works better than AA if I am going for a non-SEA airline or free agency) and this isn't going to come close to tipping the balance.
_kurt likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 14, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old May 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Looking like Explorist after 10 nights and Globalist after 20 nights for EXPs. Status will be valid through Feb 2021. Must complete within 90 days window.
20 qualifying nights in 90 days is a significant "fast track" effort.
TSparky likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
Here's what my email offered:

Has anyone received the actual AA promotion yet? If so please post the terms & conditions. They don't say how long the promotional status is valid for. On the blogs, people are speculating 90 days like a normal AA challenge which would make sense.
Yes! That was my offer as well. Which is discouraging. I'm an AA MM, so I have Lifetime Gold- and I'm a Hyatt Explorist. This is an interesting conundrum, undoubtedly of which AA IT system has not anticipated. I am being offered something to maintain that I:

1. Already Have
2. Cannot Lose

I am hoping that they somehow backdoor further AA fast tracks to go higher on the AA food chain the the one-off cross comparisons they''ve done across the 2 award chart Tier levels. Otherwise, this promo is absolutely meaningless Status-wise.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If you fly at a AA Gold level (or less), how much value does one year of a higher status really have? There's no point to these programs if they end up being one-year giveaways for people who can't or won't maintain that status.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Just had my first Hyatt points post for an AA flight (quite quick!)
  • Flight was on 5/13
  • Both AA and Hyatt flight credit posted on 5/15
  • Received one Hyatt point per EQD
  • Within the Hyatt activity tab, it shows flight number, orig/dest, and qualifying spend $, so pretty clear where the points are coming from
Old May 15, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If you fly at a AA Gold level (or less), how much value does one year of a higher status really have? There's no point to these programs if they end up being one-year giveaways for people who can't or won't maintain that status.
Presumably the intent is to capture some business on the margins and get people who can switch some business over to AA. You don't need everyone to maintain status, you just need to fill more planes and have some people retain status.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA
I’m an explorist with hyatt and no status on aa. When i linked i got the gold offer for 3 months with a challenge to maintain. I have 2 upcoming trips on AA. I will register for the promo just before my first flight to max the 3 months. But will these already booked flights count towards the challenge?
Old May 15, 2019, 10:04 am

Weird AA site keeps saying my Hyatt number is not valid..
cuthroat likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
Me too. And when I try to link via the Hyatt site it says that the names on my accounts don't match (which, of course, they do).
Old May 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by theshaun
I’m an explorist with hyatt and no status on aa. When i linked i got the gold offer for 3 months with a challenge to maintain. I have 2 upcoming trips on AA. I will register for the promo just before my first flight to max the 3 months. But will these already booked flights count towards the challenge?

Yes!!! Per the T&C:
  1. Travel completed before registration doesn’t count toward this challenge
  2. Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and the date 3 months after you register
Old May 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Yes!!! Per the T&C:
  1. Travel completed before registration doesn’t count toward this challenge
  2. Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and the date 3 months after you register
thanks for that. But i may be interpreting it incorrectly as needing to be purchased within the 3 months. Hope i’m wrong.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
I am having the same issue, I contacted Hyatt to make sure they updated my name to be the same as AAdvantage before I went to link them. Do you have a suffix by chance? I think the issue is Hyatt is using a separate suffix field and I have my suffix in my last name field with AA because of a ticketing issue I had which they said doing so would resolve.

*edit* Hyatt made the name change so both are now identical and I am still getting the same error message from AA...

*edit again* I ended up going around this multiple times with Hyatt and AA changing names, finally removing the suffix from my last name on AA made it work. Who knows why, but the AAdvantage agent I talked to on the phone made it sound like people with suffixes were having a lot of problems signing up for this program.

Last edited by HiAperture; May 24, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

I guess, I can now try to use some of my 500 mile upgrades with the promo. So, these days, what are the odds of possibly getting an upgrade to clear w/500s on a SFO/LAX to JFK route?
Old May 15, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by Visconti
I guess, I can now try to use some of my 500 mile upgrades with the promo. So, these days, what are the odds of possibly getting an upgrade to clear w/500s on a SFO/LAX to JFK route?
As an AA Gold? I would say pretty low except for some weekend / red-eye possibilities. I would say that is the equivalent of getting upgraded to a suite as a Discoverist ... not likely, but possible!
Old May 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Visconti
Uh, not good. I am sure there exist certain flight times where there are less elites, but usually they are gone after CKs/EXPs and maybe some PPROs are upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.