Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate Seat Selection portal vs. my account

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Wondering if this is normal or if anyone has any experience with this.

Through my employer, when booking business travel we are given the link to AA's corporate seat selection portal. (https://seatselect.aa.com/corporate_enu/start.swe?)

When I log into this portal, I am seeing only 4-8 open seats on the entire flight available for selection. They seem to primarily be the lower cost preferred seats (green on the normal seat selection map).
When I log into my AA account like a normal person, I can see many open seats on the flight - some cheaper, some more expensive - but probably 50% of the flight.

Anyone ever seen this? Seems odd that the offering via the corporate portal is less than my nobody aluminum status on AA these days.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Wondering if this is normal or if anyone has any experience with this.

Through my employer, when booking business travel we are given the link to AA's corporate seat selection portal. (https://seatselect.aa.com/corporate_enu/start.swe?)

When I log into this portal, I am seeing only 4-8 open seats on the entire flight available for selection. They seem to primarily be the lower cost preferred seats (green on the normal seat selection map).
When I log into my AA account like a normal person, I can see many open seats on the flight - some cheaper, some more expensive - but probably 50% of the flight.

Anyone ever seen this? Seems odd that the offering via the corporate portal is less than my nobody aluminum status on AA these days.
So, I use Concur and I see all seats -- however, it warns me that some seats I may be charged extra (and designated as such on the map) if I don't have appropriate status (either AA or oneworld). So it seems like a deliberate choice on AA's part... are you sure you can't log in? (i.e. there's a massive difference when I log in to https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/ which is a separate log in to either www.aa.com or www.aavacations.com, I believe)...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I see exactly this very frequently. I either pick an aisle seat or just skip seat selection. All my frequent flyer numbers are stored in my profile on our corporate travel system. Once the reservation is made and I have the record locator, I log into aa.com and pick the seat--it always allows selection according to my status. I've never had the corporate travel office change my seat in any subsequent actions (e.g., ticketing, re-issuing the travel authorization due to change other than air travel).
neo_781, msv777 and Redhead like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by AAir_head
I see exactly this very frequently. I either pick an aisle seat or just skip seat selection. All my frequent flyer numbers are stored in my profile on our corporate travel system. Once the reservation is made and I have the record locator, I log into aa.com and pick the seat--it always allows selection according to my status. I've never had the corporate travel office change my seat in any subsequent actions (e.g., ticketing, re-issuing the travel authorization due to change other than air travel).
Ditto. My company uses Egencia (essentially corporate version of Expedia).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Gold
My company uses Concur and we have a deal with AA that allows us to select Preferred or below seats at time of booking on the Concur website, no matter status.

However, if I want to select a MCE seat, I have to log on through aa.com... A minor inconvenience but not too bad.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
We use CWT and what I always need to do is go back into My Reservations on aa.com and change the seat from a non MCE to a MCE seat. CWT doesn't seem to recognize my status.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Concur user here as well. I can see all seats in Concur, but like the person above can't select seats above what my (lack of) status allows.
The corporate portal that I posted is sent to us by the travel agency. It appears to allow preferred seats - but only a few of them vs. all of the preferred seats I see when I go to my reservations on AA. That's what seems strange - shouldn't it at a minimum show me what I see on aa.com and maybe extra, depending on the corporate benefits in place?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Maybe I need to go check on the behavior now that we've moved to Concur. Previously on AMEX's system seat selection seemed wonky (though I don't remember how, and thus can't confirm the specific behavior you describe) and so I stopped trying to select the seats there. Ever since I always skip selection and just go to the AA website a few minutes later; this is actually good practice anyway because it helps me catch ticketing failures. Sadly those happen a lot when I'm booking inside T-100, as EXP upgrades frequently happen before ticketing and break everything.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
... Sadly those happen a lot when I'm booking inside T-100, as EXP upgrades frequently happen before ticketing and break everything.
We also use Concur, and since our corporate policy does not allow anything except "economy" to be booked, I have had Concur remove my upgrade if it goes through before final ticketing. This has made me completely miss upgrades on multiple occasions as it is not easy to fix.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Similar situation with my previous employment and current employment. I don't bother with my FF account number on corporate travel website anymore. When making reservation via corporate travel website I simply skip selecting seats, then go to AA.com and put my AAdvantage number, do seat selection, and upgrade request done.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
... when I'm booking inside T-100, as EXP upgrades frequently happen before ticketing and break everything.
Perversely, this is the only upside to the end of my long run as EXP about 2 years ago. I would request ticketing outside the 100-hour mark for exactly this reason--so I could print the receipt to show it ticketed in coach. Ticketing inside the upgrade window didn't happen often, but when it did it was a great pain in the @$$ since the e-ticket receipt required for voucher submission would show FC...which of course would appear to be a violation of travel policy...the travel/finance people were either actually too dense to understand elite upgrades or deliberately obtuse for their own entertainment.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Concur. But I can't actually go on AA.com and change my seat assignment until the ticket has been issued, which doesn't happen until an agent manually does so.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:20 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Interesting to read the varying levels of experiences here.
I also have to use Concur/CWT, and we also have a preferred seating agreement with AA. I usually just pick the best seat available at booking, but often find more preferable seats (usually exit rows) are available by logging onto AA.com.
When the upgrade does clear before ticketing (a rare occurrence for a PlatPro, but it does happen), I've never had any issues.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Opposite experience with Concur/CWT for me. I booked my first flight since dropping to lowly gold this morning. It allowed me to select an MCE seat on the return segment for free. Didn't even realize that was an MCE seat until I went to ask for my name to be put on the bottom of the upgrade list on the website. Good thing I picked 23A on the 321 for the outbound (non-MCE, but no seat in front).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
OK - ix-nay that. Looks like AA kicked me out of the MCE seat at some point today. Had to pick a regular seat or pay the $50 extra. So I guess it's up to me to remember not to pick MCE seats in Concur or I will lose them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.