Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/Qantas won’t allow lap infant with reward ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/Qantas won’t allow lap infant with reward ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Gadot
Hopefully all airlines will follow and not allow lap childs at all.
Except of course, Qantas does allow lap children...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Djokison

Except of course, Qantas does allow lap children...

Last edited by Gadot; Mar 4, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. As a few of you mentioned it was an issue with the fare class. I spoke with Qantas and after 2 hours she was able to add My little one onto my reservation for the long haul but was unable to add her to my itinerary on the domestic end seeing as it is with AA (she tried a manual override without luck) Would you all suggest that I speak with AA to add a infant in lap? Or just show up and worry about it then? I’ve spoken with 2 AA agents and both said they could not add a lap infant to my ticket/record locator.

My biggest concern was for the long haul and figured even if my little one wasn’t noted on the reservation with AA she would be able to fly anyhow domestically.

JDiver and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:56 am
Suspended

Be safe for your baby and buy a seat and use a car seat
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gadot
Be safe for your baby and buy a seat and use a car seat
Yep. In case of a crash, that car seat will definitely protect her.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL
On US domestic You add infant when boarding in LAX.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Perfect! Thank you! I may actually purchase a second seat for the domestic leg just as LAX -ORD is a bit of a flight to have my little one on my lap.

so appreciate all the helpful insight!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cbritten
Thank you all for your advice. As a few of you mentioned it was an issue with the fare class. I spoke with Qantas and after 2 hours she was able to add My little one onto my reservation for the long haul but was unable to add her to my itinerary on the domestic end seeing as it is with AA (she tried a manual override without luck) Would you all suggest that I speak with AA to add a infant in lap? Or just show up and worry about it then? I’ve spoken with 2 AA agents and both said they could not add a lap infant to my ticket/record locator.

My biggest concern was for the long haul and figured even if my little one wasn’t noted on the reservation with AA she would be able to fly anyhow domestically.

I may be in this exact situation and was just wondering what you had to say to the QF agent to get him/her to add an infant to your AA-ticketed award res on the QF long haul. Your earlier posts said you tried several times and struck out with QF agents, so any tips you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, did you end up paying 10% of the fare or just the taxes as Gary pointed out?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Glad to see it worked out. Lap children are not an issue domestically so, given AA's challenges understanding what you are doing, I'd probably just show up for the domestic flight. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobert24
Yep. In case of a crash, that car seat will definitely protect her.
bobert
why don't yo look at the faa data insead of trolling
the most injuries on planes are burns (often requiring treatment on landing) of lap kids where they hit hot drink
the second are concussions among lap kids who go flying when th plane hits turbulence
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ross0
I may be in this exact situation and was just wondering what you had to say to the QF agent to get him/her to add an infant to your AA-ticketed award res on the QF long haul. Your earlier posts said you tried several times and struck out with QF agents, so any tips you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, did you end up paying 10% of the fare or just the taxes as Gary pointed out?

sorry for the delay in reply. I did only have to pay taxes, I believe all up it was around $300.

I honestly think I just found an agent that was familiar with the process. I just said I understand this is AA’s responsibility but the AA agents I’ve spoken with aren’t willing to ticket an infant so i need you to do it just for the long haul. She did have to go speak to a supervisor and they did a manual override. My suggestion is to just keep calling back until someone does it...it was very time consuming so I’m guessing for some agents that’s the reason they refuse to do it.

My little ones record locater is only with Qantas.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA
Anyone recently have experience with adding an infant to Qantas?

We booked AA miles business a one way award ticket JAL - JAL - Qantas domestic flight. The booking was made before the baby was even born.

AA wanted really high price to add infant for complete trip (because their list price was so high).
I called JAL added infant to their segments for 10% of fare. But I can't get baby added to Qantas domestic portion. A Qantas agent just hung up on me while asking for a supervisor.

Not sure since last leg is domestic, whether we should just turn up at airport without that last segment and claim ignorance?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AussieNomad
Not sure since last leg is domestic, whether we should just turn up at airport without that last segment and claim ignorance?
Yes, it's can be a pain to get this done. You might be able to just show up, but you should try to confirm with Qantas that an infant does not need to be ticketed on a domestic flight.

If you give it enough time, and the airport you flying from in Australia has a ticketing desk, they'll be able to do it there also.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA
I had luck calling back again. With 1.5 hour hold times, it's much more of a pain hanging up and calling again. New agent knew the process and got infant added to all domestic flights for free.

Both the awful agent and good agent were both in Capetown call center, probably dumb luck whether you get a competent agent.
deeruck likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AussieNomad
I had luck calling back again. With 1.5 hour hold times, it's much more of a pain hanging up and calling again. New agent knew the process and got infant added to all domestic flights for free.

Both the awful agent and good agent were both in Capetown call center, probably dumb luck whether you get a competent agent.
Mirrors my experience. No idea on the agent location, but it needed a few calls to find an agent to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.