Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/Qantas won’t allow lap infant with reward ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
I’m booked to travel with my 15 month old in May from melbourne to Chicago. I’ve booked my ticket using AA miles. Flying Qantas on the long haul front sydney -LaX and AA from LAX-ORD. I’ve spoken with multiple agents and I’ve been told because of the particular ticket, first class for long haul and economy for the domestic US flights that my toddler isn’t allowed on my lap. AA has told me to contact Qantas and Qantas has told me to contact AA. It was my assumption that since AA is the one ticketing that they would need to add the lap infant. Any ideas why they won’t allow a lap infant? They couldn’t tell me anything besides the ticket won’t allow it. Not even a mention of a 10% fare fee which I’m more than willing to pay
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That's odd. It should be 10% of the normal F fare to fly the international leg as a lap child. Did you ask about this long-existing, well-documented policy?

Seating options for infants:

Held by an adult (lap child): A parent or any person 16 years or older may hold the infant in their lap, the infant must be included in the reservation by calling American Airlines reservations. International taxes and percentage of adult fare may apply.
Not an American site:
For international flights, availability of fares for infants and children varies depending on your travel plans. Accompanied infants under the age of 2 years not occupying a seat (infant on lap) will pay 10% of the applicable adult fare for the international portion. In addition, taxes may be assessed which can be significant.
It does say availability varies.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cbritten Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Cbritten
I’m booked to travel with my 15 month old in May from Melbourne to Chicago. I’ve booked my ticket using AA miles. Flying Qantas on the long haul front Sydney -LAX and AA from LAX-ORD. I’ve spoken with multiple agents and I’ve been told because of the particular ticket, first class for long haul and economy for the domestic US flights that my toddler isn’t allowed on my lap. AA has told me to contact Qantas and Qantas has told me to contact AA.

It was my assumption that since AA is the one ticketing that they would need to add the lap infant. Any ideas why they won’t allow a lap infant? They couldn’t tell me anything besides the ticket won’t allow it. Not even a mention of a 10% fare fee which I’m more than willing to pay
Try contacting QF at [email protected] and ask them can a lap child be in first class.
AA ff miles award on a QF aircraft may complicate it, but this will not be the first time of a lap child on an award flight.
QF phone agents (in Philippines?) may have little detailed knowledge of this.

QF link -->https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...rent-info.html
AUSBT link--->https://www.ausbt.com.au/community/v...as-first-class
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be an issue about the specific type of (FC) seats on your flight? For example, an airline might nor permit a lap kid in seats equipped with airbags in the seat belt.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this be an issue about the specific type of (FC) seats on your flight?
For example, an airline might not permit a lap kid in seats equipped with airbags in the seat belt.
That is why I suggested asking QF about this when travelling in first class
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Could this be an issue about the specific type of (FC) seats on your flight? For example, an airline might nor permit a lap kid in seats equipped with airbags in the seat belt.
I was going to say the same thing. I think its the airbag in the seatbelt. I did a quick search and found this.

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
That's odd. It should be 10% of the normal F fare to fly the international leg as a lap child. Did you ask about this long-existing, well-documented policy?

Not an American site:

It does say availability varies.

I did ask for their infant in lap policy but they had no idea. I called the Australians AA number and am thinking it may be better to contact the US number. Hopefully I get it sorted. I figure I’ll just keep calling until I get an answer with an explanation.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Australian AA number gets answered in Fiji. Some AA freq flyers from USA call the Au number in preference to the USA number (perceived better service)
Still worth asking QF by email. Will get a reply from an Au based person
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

i had considered that but there is an actual bassinet in first class, seat 5A I believe so it really would make no sense to have a bassinet if they don’t allow an infant. I know last year I flew the same route and plane in business with her, no issue. Just stumped
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:16 pm

Just tested and was able to book an infant without seat in 1st class on Qantas as a paid booking, so don't think that it is class of service

Looking at AA's fares, they do not allow travel to Australia on QF, only AA
QF's fares do not allow ticketing by AA

Since there are no fares that AA can sell , the only option will be if QF is prepared to issue a ticket

I would suggest calling, explain that AA cannot issue a ticket due to QF's ticketing restrictions and see whether QF will sell an infant standalone linked to the AA issued SYD-LAX flight - just for the SYD-LAX flight

if you can get QF to agree to issue a ticket, you will be fine - if not, then you ,may need to rethink how to tixket an infant
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
You are in luck

I have done this successfully.

I think the issue is that AA doesn't sell F fares that match your ticket and so cannot issue an INF ticket against the fare.

Though AA sent me to Qantas and the first two agents said it was impossible for them to issue an Infant ticket against an AA-issued ticket I managed to get it done. And QF doesn't charge a fare for Infant travel so taxes only, about $17 total.

Qantas created a new reservation for one of the two passengers on the award and an accompanying infant and issued an infant ticket for it.

AA couldn't issue the QF boarding passes and QF couldn't issue the AA passes but that was the only complication (note QF only issued the INF ticket for their own segments and our daughter traveled as.a lap infant without a ticket on AA operated domestic flights).
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by gleff

I think the issue is that AA doesn't sell F fares that match your ticket and so cannot issue an INF ticket against the fare.

Though AA sent me to Qantas and the first two agents said it was impossible for them to issue an Infant ticket against an AA-issued ticket I managed to get it done. And QF doesn't charge a fare for Infant travel so taxes only, about $17 total.

Qantas created a new reservation for one of the two passengers on the award and an accompanying infant and issued an infant ticket for it.

AA couldn't issue the QF boarding passes and QF couldn't issue the AA passes but that was the only complication (note QF only issued the INF ticket for their own segments and our daughter traveled as.a lap infant without a ticket on AA operated domestic flights).
Thank you for sharing! I’m trying to get home to see family with the little one and it’s been very challenging! So basically just call and ask them to do what’s outlined above? I’ll just keep calling until I get it sorted.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff

i know that Qantas doesn’t charge a fee for domestic but I thought it was 10% for international travel? Am I wrong in that? Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Cbritten

i know that Qantas doesn’t charge a fee for domestic but I thought it was 10% for international travel? Am I wrong in that? Thanks!
with award bookings, Qantas only charges taxes for infants
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Hopefully

Last edited by Gadot; Mar 4, 2019 at 6:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.