Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Email from AA Asking for votes for Freddie Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

You've got to be kidding me, AA.
Attached Images  
jerryss and Spiff like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Similar to what I posted on the Marriott thread, yes, AA has its warts - the D0 focus, declining EXP agents, operational cluster, bad baggage handling. That said, AA does have a solid upgrade program, a worthwhile J class internationally to upgrade to, good partners to use awards on etc.

So yes, while parts of AA are frustrating, its not like the program is disproportionately worse than its peers. I live in 2 UA Hubs and still have zero interest in getting on one of their planes.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
On the earning side yes, they are quite similar.

What has irked me the most living in Europe is the total lack of availability for premium transatlantic awards on anything but BA. IB awards have evaporated. Air Berlin is no longer. Finnair isn't super practical. OW has a very limited number of partners. Even ex-Europe to Asia is far worse than before. If I can't use the miles, earning them is pretty useless.

Star Alliance has far better options (more partners and more non-UA availability).

As for SkyPesos, well, that's in a league of its own... not paying 500,000 miles to fly Paris-NYC.

These days, AA has one of the worst programs in my opinion. It's been gutted. Anyway, they won't be getting my Freddie award vote.
enviroian, Spiff, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I laughed when I saw this email and continued to chuckle as I hit the delete button.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I voted for anything that wasn't AA.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Similar to what I posted on the Marriott thread, yes, AA has its warts - the D0 focus, declining EXP agents, operational cluster, bad baggage handling. That said, AA does have a solid upgrade program, a worthwhile J class internationally to upgrade to, good partners to use awards on etc.

So yes, while parts of AA are frustrating, its not like the program is disproportionately worse than its peers. I live in 2 UA Hubs and still have zero interest in getting on one of their planes.
Speak for yourself. The upgrade program sucks imo and disproportionally heaps tons of award on just a few. Spend 15K a year -- sure, you may get 30-80% upgrade rates depending on your routes/flight times, SWUs can clear on very valuable overseas routes, and can get your partner (or other travel companion) upgraded with you. But spend 10K a year and your upgrades may very well be near 0% on those same travel patterns because you are always, in every single case, behind them in line.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Speak for yourself. The upgrade program sucks imo and disproportionally heaps tons of award on just a few. Spend 15K a year -- sure, you may get 30-80% upgrade rates depending on your routes/flight times, SWUs can clear on very valuable overseas routes, and can get your partner (or other travel companion) upgraded with you. But spend 10K a year and your upgrades may very well be near 0% on those same travel patterns because you are always, in every single case, behind them in line.
I know you are speaking as a PPRO, but I can assure you as EXP it still seems like the only people AA truly cares about are the CKs.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Is DL or UA or AS better at your flight and spend patterns?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Is DL or UA or AS better at your flight and spend patterns?
Can't speak for DL, but a lot of people on the UA forum gripe about the lack of upgrades too. On AA, PPRO and up all put on the list, while below has to support their upgrades with stickers. So less competition on the lower end. UA has EVERYONE on the list. On heavy routes, like hub to hub, it wasn't uncommon to see 1Ks pretty far down the list, with some silvers being like 85th in line.

They all more or less copy DL these days. Each plan has it quirks, but at least to me, each FFP is more or less the same. You have to look at what airline(s) work for you, and if you can live with their FFP's quirks.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
I voted for anything that wasn't AA.
Me too. Grateful for the email as it provided a link for me to vote for everyone else!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I appreciated the reminder. I did go to the site and gave Alaska Airlines my vote.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Rehashed debates about the status of the program aside...

Why should I even care about the Freddies? It's basically like those "Airline of the Year" stickers on AA planes - a marketing thing that says nothing about the reality of the airline or traveling experience for me.

Surely the only "rating" of the FFP that maters to me is my own.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Marriott email is funnier, including the "fact" that Starriott/Bonvoy/SPG/MR/RC programs have been nominated for IIRC six different awards.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Will American win anything?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
The airline of the year thing is funny. #fakenews

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.