Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere

You’re in good company on Flyertalk Where else can you find entire threads devoted to just domestic catering?
Oh, yes! I am following the food threads as well because I get to pick my meals in 2 days and I want to pick something decent!
Old May 5, 2019, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
You may want to double check, but EF shows the flight departed the gate 39 minutes late and took off 21 minutes later.
That's consistent with what is shown on AACargo.com:
April 30, 2019
Scheduled Time: 04:40 PM
Estimated Time: 05:19 PM
Gate Departure Time: 05:19 PM
Take Off Time: 05:40 PM
Old May 5, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
You’re in good company on Flyertalk Where else can you find entire threads devoted to just domestic catering?
and reactions to missing a PDB that would otherwise be associated with someone stealing your first born....
enpremiere likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:34 am

If you look at American's Twitter feed, half the complaints are from passengers who arrived at the gate 16 minutes before departure (they're always a minute ahead of things) but were denied boarding because the flight was closed and the gate agents hurled insults at the passengers' mothers in announcing this news, which is a shameful way to treat passengers who are elite AA flyers on accounts of having the credit card.

(The other half is people complaining about flight delays that are absolutely NOT weather related, because the tornado passed by the airport 5 minutes ago and it's just drizzling now, come on AA get your act together. The final half is people upset because they were forced to check their carry-ons since according to the gate agents the bins were full but when they got on the plane all the bins were completely empty, and in fact the crew, instead of serving PDBs, had crafted additional bins in the galleys from unused credit card applications, and there's also the half complaining that their seat assignments were changed from Flagstaff First to one of the empty overhead bins - this for some reason usually happens to vibranium-level elite flyers, which is especially insulting.)
JonNYC, chica, scolbath and 6 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by William1865
If you look at American's Twitter feed, half the complaints are from passengers who arrived at the gate 16 minutes before departure (they're always a minute ahead of things) but were denied boarding because the flight was closed and the gate agents hurled insults at the passengers' mothers in announcing this news, which is a shameful way to treat passengers who are elite AA flyers on accounts of having the credit card.

(The other half is people complaining about flight delays that are absolutely NOT weather related, because the tornado passed by the airport 5 minutes ago and it's just drizzling now, come on AA get your act together. The final half is people upset because they were forced to check their carry-ons since according to the gate agents the bins were full but when they got on the plane all the bins were completely empty, and in fact the crew, instead of serving PDBs, had crafted additional bins in the galleys from unused credit card applications, and there's also the half complaining that their seat assignments were changed from Flagstaff First to one of the empty overhead bins - this for some reason usually happens to vibranium-level elite flyers, which is especially insulting.)
Well done!
William1865 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:57 am

There are some very "classy" folks out there on twitter ....

William1865 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Wink

Thats a lot of "halves"
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: CK or bust
... and there's also the half complaining that their seat assignments were changed from Flagstaff First to one of the empty overhead bins - this for some reason usually happens to vibranium-level elite flyers, which is especially insulting.)
Flagstaff First... a new initiative to help re-align expectations with reality where service can more easily slide up and down the pole.

But on the original post, well summarized!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:29 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/1417270001/

Here is this story where United has added some smarts to make better decisions on whether to hold a flight for connecting passengers based on a variety of factors. Its nice for somebody to start backing away from the ruthless pursuit of D0. This has been around since Feb at a couple of airports, though are expanding the service now.

If you have a tight connection while flying United Airlines, you might benefit from the airline's new ConnectionSaver tool that identifies departing flights that can be held for connecting customers.

In February, United launched the ConnectionSaver tool at Denver International Airport and then expanded to Chicago O'Hare International Airport – two of the airline's busiest hubs. United announced Monday it plans to expand the ConnectionSaver technology to other airports that United services in the future.

Connecting customers receive personalized text messages from ConnectionSaver with directions to the gate for their connecting flight; information about expected travel time between the two gates; and nearby amenities.
"ConnectionSaver only works if it allows us to care for as many customers as possible – without inconveniencing others – and that's exactly what this technology has shown it can do. We're determined to capitalize on as many opportunities as possible to better serve and care for our customers and that's part of what sets United apart from our competitors," United's Chief Customer Officer Toby Enqvist stated in a press release.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:09 pm

Just got D0-ed. Arrived at my gate 8 minutes prior to departure after sprinting across Sky Harbor due to a late arriving connection (weather). I could see out the window that they were still loading bags, but not only was the door closed but the jetway was pulled. It's certainly not my expectation that AA delay the departure of an aircraft and put two hundred other connections at risk, but in situations where they can prevent missed connections and still keep on schedule I just don't understand the rigid adherence to closing the door.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Check
Just got D0-ed. Arrived at my gate 8 minutes prior to departure after sprinting across Sky Harbor due to a late arriving connection (weather). I could see out the window that they were still loading bags, but not only was the door closed but the jetway was pulled. It's certainly not my expectation that AA delay the departure of an aircraft and put two hundred other connections at risk, but in situations where they can prevent missed connections and still keep on schedule I just don't understand the rigid adherence to closing the door.
This same exact situation happened to me last year in MIA, after getting held up in DFW (weather-related) for an hour and a half causing me to miss my connection to GCM and had to overnight in MIA. Got there before departure but after D10, but it didn't matter anyway because they had closed the jet bridge at D12, leaving me and what I remember being about 8-10 other people very much not happy with the gate agents.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by bscooter26
This same exact situation happened to me last year in MIA, after getting held up in DFW (weather-related) for an hour and a half causing me to miss my connection to GCM and had to overnight in MIA. Got there before departure but after D10, but it didn't matter anyway because they had closed the jet bridge at D12, leaving me and what I remember being about 8-10 other people very much not happy with the gate agents.
This is because AA has decided that the GA's job is to get the D0 metric completed as the highest priority. It doesn't matter if it negatively effects customers...just make the metric. This is why AA (and many other companies out there) don't understand why they aren't doing well...they focus on metrics that don't translate to actual customer satisfaction. Not everything can be measured on a spreadsheet, but the leadership of AA thinks that is the best way to manage their company.

Unfortunately, due to the oligopoly nature of this business, it really doesn't matter all that much at the end of the day to AA to have low customer satisfaction.
Spiff, cmd320 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
This is why AA (and many other companies out there) don't understand why they aren't doing well...they focus on metrics that don't translate to actual customer satisfaction.
I may be one of the few EP’s that still enjoys flying AA. I’ve had amazing service on the flights. And, hand to god truth, I’ve been re routed just once this year and they gave me $200 bucks for the inconvenience. The on-time metric works for me and has increased my satisfaction. I appreciate the effort to be punctual. Now that being said, I book an average 2 1/2 hour connection when going through one of their hubs. So my experience is a tad skewed I’ll admit. But the industry in general has fallen so far that I push my expectations below airline service levels. I control what I can with longer connecting times and squeeze every perk possible out of being EP and OW Emerald. @&$! I just realized I’m probably doing exactly what DP envisioned with ideas like OASIS! Any way, it works for me.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Departing MIA last night in F. Boarding time was listed as 9:32 for a 10:07 departure. I arrived at the gate at 9:34 and zone 5 was being called. This was a 737.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Departing MIA last night in F. Boarding time was listed as 9:32 for a 10:07 departure. I arrived at the gate at 9:34 and zone 5 was being called. This was a 737.
did you use the priority lane since they were boarding the mass of unwashed thru the regular lane? "First Class, coming through, step aside please"?
jk of course.
i care more about on time arrival than on time departure. they have some squishiness in their schedule they should be able to hold a min or two for late connections, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, and they've drawn it at D-0
Tack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.