Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Ord/clt, I walked up with the app showing 2 mins until boarding. Screen at K6 shows group 7! Had to swim upstream for baggage upon landing. Metrics mgmt at its worst.

Was on track to arrive 20 early (on the ground) but circled due to T-storms.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
One additional adverse effect of this early boarding nonsense is for disabled passengers like myself who need to preboard. How are we supposed to time our arrival if we can’t rely on the posted boarding times? I try to be at the gate very early and ask when I should return, but sometimes that’s not possible so I arrive 5-10 minutes before posted boarding and get yelled at by GAs because I am late. I point out the posted boarding time once (they say that’s just a guide) and then just let it go as arguing isn’t going to get me anywhere.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that seems like a legitimate complaint to the DOT. Perhaps a violation of ACAA, at least its spirit, no? Plus, note: "Airlines must make available specially-trained “complaints resolution officials” to respond to complaints from passengers and must also respond to written complaints. A DOT enforcement mechanism is also available."
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:27 pm

Kudos to the GAs that handed my flight out of ORD this morning. They were watching the "time until boarding" countdown and when it hit zero they started boarding.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Kudos to the GAs that handed my flight out of ORD this morning. They were watching the "time until boarding" countdown and when it hit zero they started boarding.
I think most would agree that starting the boarding process a few minutes early (eg. 2-3 mins) isn't going to hurt anyone. But starting 5-10 minutes early when there is no one to preboard and/or few priority passengers can get you to the higher boarding groups very quickly.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
AA shuttle is T-30 to check a bag and T-20 to check in without a bag at DCA and BOS...
But AA doesn't seem to have any exception for boarding time, which seems to make the T-20 check in a lot more dicey since you only have 5 minutes to get from checkin to the gate.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26
I think most would agree that starting the boarding process a few minutes early (eg. 2-3 mins) isn't going to hurt anyone. But starting 5-10 minutes early when there is no one to preboard and/or few priority passengers can get you to the higher boarding groups very quickly.
I think it’s useful to recognize that there are two separate issues:

1) early boarding - which may ruffle feathers, disadvantage pre-boarders needing assistance, and complicate finding overhead space
2) early departure - (i.e. closing the door before all boarding passes are scanned) which will cause missed connections, missed flights, and generally pissed off customers.

These issues are tangentially related, but imho #2 is bigger and more harmful to customers.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Apr 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
Yesterday, 6:18a flight on a 738. Arrived at boarding area at 5:40a, and GA called group 5 as I walked up.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No idea what time they started boarding AA72 SYD-LAX this morning, but I arrived at T-60 and they were calling Group 5. Ridiculous.
jcatman likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jordyn
But AA doesn't seem to have any exception for boarding time, which seems to make the T-20 check in a lot more dicey since you only have 5 minutes to get from checkin to the gate.
Well the shuttle is a special case and the passengers and GAs have the dance down pat. I myself showed up a few times at the last minute and there was no issue.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:17 pm

I know this may be beating a dead horse here and I've posted about my anxiety over this issue before. Our layover has been shortened so now I am on alert even more than I normally would to make sure we get to the important flight on time.

I'm monitoring my upcoming flight ORD-FCO (AA110) and it seems like the flight is leaving excessively early today!
Today it left 27 minutes early, what?!?

The kick in the gut is that the plane then sat for a 35 minute runway delay. Are they purposely closing the doors early because there is a runway delay in hopes that they take off closer to the originally scheduled time by getting "in line" early? Al in the name of getting wonderful "on time" scores? Seems pointless if you're potentially leaving people behind with this. And no I don't know if people were left behind but logically, boarding and then leaving that early seems like it could likely be a very real scenario!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
I know this may be beating a dead horse here and I've posted about my anxiety over this issue before. Our layover has been shortened so now I am on alert even more than I normally would to make sure we get to the important flight on time.

I'm monitoring my upcoming flight ORD-FCO (AA110) and it seems like the flight is leaving excessively early today!

The kick in the gut is that the plane then sat for a 35 minute runway delay. Are they purposely closing the doors early because there is a runway delay in hopes that they take off closer to the originally scheduled time by getting "in line" early? Al in the name of getting wonderful "on time" scores? Seems pointless if you're potentially leaving people behind with this. And no I don't know if people were left behind but logically, boarding and then leaving that early seems like it could likely be a very real scenario!
How long is your layover? What city are you coming from? Can you change it to an earlier flight to add extra buffer/safety?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:08 pm

The weather has been $hit in Chicago today. Could be everyone was on board, so they shut the door and went.
You may want to double check, but EF shows the flight departed the gate 39 minutes late and took off 21 minutes later.

My advice would be it makes no sense worrying about what may happen. Worry about it only if it happens. In your case there are plenty of ways to get to FCO, and they will know your coming if your inbound is late.
Antarius and enpremiere like this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 30, 2019 at 5:18 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber

The weather has been $hit in Chicago today. Could be everyone was on board, so they shut the door and went.
You may want to double check, but EF shows the flight departed the gate 39 minutes late and took off 21 minutes later.

My advice would be it makes no sense worrying about what may happen. Worry about it only if it happens. In your case there are plenty of ways to get to FCO, and they will know your coming if your inbound is late.
I did see the bad weather alerts and figured the delay was related to that. I was checking on FlightStats earlier and it showed the plane had departed the gate at 4:13pm. Scheduled departure was originally 4:40pm When I was checking earlier it said the plane was taxiing at that moment in time and left 27 minutes early. So I assumed that meant the plane left the gate and was waiting in line. I'm totally new to all this stuff and maybe I am reading it wrong?

Part of my concern is that I am a crazy nervous flyer. I HATE flying but force myself on planes because I love to travel. Self-torture at it's finest. My fear is getting rerouted and not having a seat next to my husband and annoying the CRAP out of the unlucky soul next to me as I hyperventilate and/or freak out for nearly 9 hours

Originally Posted by enviroian
How long is your layover? What city are you coming from? Can you change it to an earlier flight to add extra buffer/safety?
Flying in from FLL on the only direct flight of the day. Layover was originally 3+ hours which I was comfortable with in case of other delays, now it's changed to a little over 2 hours which I know is plenty of time on a regular day. I always like to strt my flights early in the morning so no other delays affect me, but the only flight is at 11:54am. AND my mind goes to the worst and I feel like many of the stories I've read on here has fed in to my fears of them closing the boarding door before I get there.

Don't mind me, I'm just the crazy lady here.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Don't mind me, I'm just the crazy lady here.
You’re in good company on Flyertalk Where else can you find entire threads devoted to just domestic catering?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.