Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
It's fascinating to me how much that extra 5 or 10 minutes means to people. I've been a member of the AC (and its preceding brands) for over 25 years now, and spending an extra 5 minutes in there isn't a priority to me. I'd rather be at the gate 40 minutes before departure just to make sure I'm in place and ready to board as needed, because flying is NEVER (in any country, on any airline) a down-to-the-second exact science that always fires of predictably without failure ever. I get it that AA is less reliable on average than others, and that's a fair ding, but travel on all airlines has taught me the habit to be present and ready.
I think the most frustrating thing about this is that AA seems much more likely to start boarding than they say they will than its competitors, and yet still manages to deliver you to your destination on time less frequently than those same competitors. Mostly, it's just another indication of an airline that doesn't have its act together operationally.
steve64, Spiff, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

It's fascinating to me how much that extra 5 or 10 minutes means to people. I've been a member of the AC (and its preceding brands) for over 25 years now, and spending an extra 5 minutes in there isn't a priority to me. I'd rather be at the gate 40 minutes before departure just to make sure I'm in place and ready to board as needed, because flying is NEVER (in any country, on any airline) a down-to-the-second exact science that always fires of predictably without failure ever. I get it that AA is less reliable on average than others, and that's a fair ding, but travel on all airlines has taught me the habit to be present and ready.
Do you have to connect at hubs? With the banks often you get < 1 or right at 40 minute MCT. By time you deplane, get to the next terminal it isn't unusual to walk up to Group 6+ or have them paging last call at DFW at 15-20 minutes before D0
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The extra 5-10 minutes allowed for boarding and closing according to the stated time and not at 5-10 minutes early easily means hours trying to connect to the next flight (even a full day). Doesn't matter if someone is spending 5 minutes in the AC longer, has a tight connection, or ends up finding that airlink was shut-down making a planned 10 minute Terminal hop into a 35 minute slog -- AA should keep on schedule.
SouthernCross and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by ryan182
No, no its not at all like CPR. Its boarding a freaking airplane, if one finds that process is too difficult or stressful then they should seek alternate means of employment. This is hard nor is it subjective, the timelines and cutoffs are well documented so its not unrealistic for customers to expect these "professionals" to be capable of understanding and adhering to them.
Well this link, #3 , won't change your mind, but all you have to do is observe what is going on, and have a little empathy, and you might get it. I do not have much empathy for grumpy GAs, but given the wide range of human responses, I do think GAs are often under stress. And FYI, CPR does not stress me out, but it does a lot of people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what...avelers-2017-5
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
It's fascinating to me how much that extra 5 or 10 minutes means to people.
I think I flew 160 segments last year. 10 minutes times 160 = 26+ hours.

Time spent at the gate waiting to board is far more likely to be dead time. There are many ways I'd rather spend 26 hours a year instead of waiting at a gate. Whether it's one more email, one more play of the ball game, or one more vodka soda -- any of those beats one more round of waiting too long at the gate.
Spiff, moondog, shuuy and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
Well this link, #3 , won't change your mind, but all you have to do is observe what is going on, and have a little empathy, and you might get it. I do not have much empathy for grumpy GAs, but given the wide range of human responses, I do think GAs are often under stress. And FYI, CPR does not stress me out, but it does a lot of people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what...avelers-2017-5
You are correct that does not change my mind, that some GAs were assaulted is terrible and I hope those that did so are dealt with appropriately just as if someone assaulted anyone in a CS position. And FYI - if I had to perform CPR on someone that would stress me out, it should also stress them out since I'd have no idea what I was doing. For that and many other reasons I chose a profession where I'm not expected to perform life saving activities on people, if interacting with passengers boarding an airplane, some of which I agree behave terribly, causes stress levels for a GA akin to trying to keep someone alive because they are no longer breathing or have a heartbeat they should re-examine their career choice.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We have another thread on this topic, in which the OP is a true FT hero!

Strange denial of boarding on MAN-PHL

My thoughts:
1. If T-10 is the official rule, do not close the doors before T-10
2. Charging people to check a single bag is a silly practice; when flying within the US, I often need to gate check my bag (for free); this slows down boarding
3. I wouldn't mind if T-10 was changed to T-20, or even T-30, but make it official
-T-30 would surely result in lost business on routes like LGA-BOS, but most of us could deal with it
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, Delta has more lenient check-in and "be-at-gate" times for its Shuttle routes than other flights. T-5m for shutting the door, in fact, and T-30 for checked bags (vs. AA at 45m).
As good of a reason as any to prefer DL on these routes!
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, Delta has more lenient check-in and "be-at-gate" times for its Shuttle routes than other flights. T-5m for shutting the door, in fact, and T-30 for checked bags (vs. AA at 45m).
As good of a reason as any to prefer DL on these routes!
AA shuttle is T-30 to check a bag and T-20 to check in without a bag at DCA and BOS...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
AA shuttle is T-30 to check a bag and T-20 to check in without a bag at DCA and BOS...
Where do you see that? I couldn't find it on AA.com; there was no exception noted on the main check-in info page.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Another early boarding CLT-MCI last night. Arrived at gate at T-35 and the gate agent was calling Group Six as I walked up.

A rowdy passenger boarded after me and caused a loud ruckus throughout the flight. The FA cut him off after three whiskey-and-cokes. Otherwise, an uneventful flight.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
5 minute early boarding today and early pushback. Early to LAX and gate was occupied. 15 min or so waiting.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Where do you see that? I couldn't find it on AA.com; there was no exception noted on the main check-in info page.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es-shuttle.jsp
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:31 pm

Do gate agents get bonused for closing the door early?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCross
Do gate agents get bonused for closing the door early?
Something must be going on!

I had a client miss their connection because they closed the door 25 minutes early on a domestic flight over the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.