Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182

I’d guess a photo of the screen at the gate, they have the time and that pretty clearly demonstrates you were at the gate.
And hope they don’t confiscate your phone for taking pictures in a secure area or some such nonsense.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

And hope they don’t confiscate your phone for taking pictures in a secure area or some such nonsense.
lol not going to happen.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bscooter26
To add to this, as efficient as DFW is compared to other airports, the taxi times are also some of the longest I've experienced, with the exception being taxiing around to the low odd-numbered gates at MIA.
MIA-And go into the holding area to be told your gate is occupied. If you land early at MIA between 4-9 PM unless you're on one of the domestic 777 flights (that have specified gates) your a/c will be sent to holding and will arrive late.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

I’d guess a photo of the screen at the gate, they have the time and that pretty clearly demonstrates you were at the gate.
Turn on your phones' video recorder. Dont hold it up like you are Coppola, maybe grab a pass by the clock, the agent, etc. But leave it sitting out in your hand. That way you get the images, time, and audio context of the whole interaction. Ive started doing that when I think a situation may go sideways- not just air travel. Ive even kept it in a shirt pocket, just for audio
Travlur, IndyHoosier and Check like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Data point DFW last weekend. AE out of Terminal B. We boarded early, finished early, closed early, pushed early, and left early. Same situation on the return from a small outstation except more so.

Not saying you should agree with it. But you should expect it. If they don't see a runner, and they don't look very hard, then they close out.

Last edited by jayer; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
lol not going to happen.
Make sure your phone auto-backs up your photos to Google Photos, or whatever equivalent apple has.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Data point DFW last weekend. AE out of Terminal B. We boarded early, finished early, closed early, pushed early, and left early. Same situation on the return from a small outstation except more so.

Not saying you should agree with it. But you should expect it. They don't see a runner, and they don't look very hard, and they close out.
But was there anyone checked in who hadn't boarded? That makes a big difference in the interpretation of your story.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:19 pm

Surprisingly both my flight to Chicago and my flight to London both started boarding at exactly their scheduled time. I think it took about 45 minutes to fill the 788 to London.

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

They can tell you not to take photos of the GA and other staff but they can't tell you to not take pictures of the gate as that's airport and not AA property. One the plane is another story.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Personally I like to be at the gate well in advance of the boarding time.

No comfy lounge seat makes up for the stress of worrying about missing my flight.

And, yes, they do board and depart early. Yay. I'd rather get to my destination a bit early than wait for some lounge lizard to saunter in at the last minute.
When does this happen? I haven't had an AA flight arrive on time in over a year. Of the 40 flights I've taken this year on AA, 30 were more than an hour late (and one time I checked luggage, my luggage was delayed and did not make it on the nonstop flight, despite being checked in more than two hours in advance AND the plane being over an hour late).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:50 am
Suspended

Opposite View

I really appreciate early boarding. I get very angry with people turning up at last minute meaning we push back late. I would go so far as to invalidate the tickets of people who check luggage and then do not show up. At busy airports where there are likely lines for the runway(s) and congestion in the alley and around gates, my idea of an excellent flight is pushing back 5 minutes early. This is much better than the old AA practice of getting everyone to the gate and then sit there or stand for 20 minutes whilst the gate staff busily used their terminals and flight attendants and flight deck roll up late due to traffic on the 405. Earlier the better. An email will do, you do not need to call me. Good job American.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjlon
I really appreciate early boarding. I get very angry with people turning up at last minute meaning we push back late. I would go so far as to invalidate the tickets of people who check luggage and then do not show up.
keep in mind it's not always their fault as they most likely could be coming in on a connecting flight that was delayed.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by r415
When does this happen? I haven't had an AA flight arrive on time in over a year. Of the 40 flights I've taken this year on AA, 30 were more than an hour late
0/40 flights late with 30/40 being later over an hour would be unheard of, at least to someone based in Dallas that flies a variety of routes. Does this perhaps have to do with the runway configuration at SFO or something else specific to the route(s) you’re flying?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Evil D0 at ORD. Arrived at gate one minute after posted boarding start and they’re on group 5.

I’m seated in first and don’t have any carry-ons, so it doesn’t really matter, but it is nice to board first when the jetway isn’t crowded. A first-world problem for sure.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Was flying RDU-JFK this afternoon. 3:14pm departure. I left the Admirals Club and headed to the gate (short walk) at about 2:40pm. I was about 2 gates away when I heard "All passengers for AA flight 6617 to JFK, please head to gate C16 for final boarding." I arrived at the gate around 32 minutes to departure, the boarding area was completely empty! I joked with the gate agent that "Wow, you guys sure boarded early today" and got a "hmph, yeah" in reply.

I subsequently boarded, and maybe 5 or 6 people boarded after me within the next 5 minutes or so, and with the same bewildered expression, then they closed the door.

This was an ERJ-140, I was in 4A, and nowhere nearby for my backpack by the time I boarded, so under the seat it went.

Flight departed about 10 minutes early.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Today at DFW the gate agents were literally watching the countdown timer on the gate screen for when to board on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.