Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL's iPhone (and probably Android) app sends a notification as soon as the flight begins boarding, triggered by the scan of the first boarding pass. That's usually a good indicator of when to head to the gate from the lounge.

Probably too difficult for AA to handle.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I may be in the minority, but I'm good with them boarding early since it gives a somewhat better likelihood of us actually getting out of there on time. I find when they start boarding "on time" on the mainline planes, half the time they are still boarding by the time we should depart.

Maybe what they really need to do is bump up the departure time to 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
boarding early is nice and all until it's 20 mins after departure and you're still sitting there for who knows what
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by ijgordon
DL's iPhone (and probably Android) app sends a notification as soon as the flight begins boarding, triggered by the scan of the first boarding pass. That's usually a good indicator of when to head to the gate from the lounge.

Probably too difficult for AA to handle.
DL's IT is far superior to AAs
Sadly, even UA's IT, with their ancient ASP.net or whatever .bomb website, surpasses AAs

I mean we talk like 'dynamic reaccom' is a great new thing but UA and DL have had this thing for at least 5 years now, as far as I can remember
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I must be in a minority because on all of my AA flights I've watched the countdown to Boarding run out and then they wait another 5-10 minutes before even starting with first class.
Uzzar and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I must be in a minority because on all of my AA flights I've watched the countdown to Boarding run out and then they wait another 5-10 minutes before even starting with first class.
From what I’m reading this sounds like an American Eagle dba etc etc not mainline.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
Why? Was the mirror in J too small for kissing himself?
because he had to sit next to someone (me)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:55 am

Recently had an issue at DFW on the ERD with boarding being complete minus myself at T-25 with speaker pages for “final boarding” and dirty looks from the gate agent as I boarded, they didn’t actually close the door until T-10 anyway.

Was coming from HNL, got in to D30ish had breakfast in the lounge and trekked it to B2 figuring I had plenty of time with a 80 minute layover, definitely not the friendliest encounter I’ve had.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Assuming your timeline is correct, you were phoned 22mins before flight was due to depart. I think given the circumstances, it was not unreasonable to call you, although they could have waited another few mins. No harm in checking that the passenger has not lost track of time and is going to make it on time. The fact that they were rude to you is not really acceptable though, since they were early rather than you being late.

I have had gate agents be snarky to me when I have arrived at the gate as one of the last few to board but still well within boarding cut off time. I think they are under pressure to get the gates closed as early as possible, or they are just bored and want to go home. In the vast majority of these cases, it makes no difference to departure time, we still end up sitting on the plane at the gate for 10-20mins+ with the plane door open. My guess is that when gate agents are rushing to get the gate closed, it is rarely because the pilot is ready to depart immediately, it is because they personally just want to get the gate closed.
scfw0x0f and GoodFastOrCheap like this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Mar 1, 2019 at 2:33 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My problem is that when I arrive on time to board according to the info on the ticket, its already group something...
and when I opt to get there early just to be safe, end up waiting far beyond the boarding time.... I am a loser either way
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by no2chem
Today I'm flying an envoy flight BOS-JFK, which departs out of B36. The flight departs at 2:57pm, and boards around 2:27pm. I'm at the lounge at B4, which is about a 10 minute walk to the gate. I leave at boarding time sharp (2:27pm).

About 5 minutes into my walk (2:35pm), I get a phone call from a mass. Number. It's AA:
AAgent: "hello no2chem this is x with AA, will you still be traveling with us today?"
Me: "yes, I'm at gate B23 and walking"
AAgent: " you're the last to board the gate will be closed soon"
Me: " boarding started 5 minutes ago"
AAgent: "you're the last to board the gate is about to close"

.... So I get there and the agent repeats how I'm the last to board and they were about to close the gate. I make it a point that the gate isn't supposed to close until 10mins before departure, and it's 2:40, 17 mins before departure.

To add insult to injury, the flight departs 10mins late anyway

While I appreciate the call (sort of, the AAgent was really rude and it sounded like she wanted her bonus points for closing the flight early), they really need to fix this early boarding crap. At least announce in the AC when you're going to do that.

Anyone else experience this?

​​​​​
​​​​
No but, sorry, I'm not sympathetic, except for the rudeness of the agent. I'd love it if flights boarded right when boarding was to start and if they closed the door and departed as soon as possible. I try to get to the gate not later than when boarding starts (and usually a few minutes before that), since sometimes flights board early. Admirals Clubs are not that great and aren't worth missing being among the first to board. At least AA affirmatively contacted you.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
something like that I would write AA
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by justhere
How does the GA scan your boarding pass AND close the aircraft door at the same time if you try to board at T-10? Seems like the 5 minutes between "be at the gate T-15" and "door closes at T-10" supports scanning the last BP's at maybe T-11 so the door can close on time.
Door of the gate, not door of the plane.
GaryD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
There's no winning. I arrived at the gate 5 minutes prior to boarding and they were on Group 5. I was Group 1. I decided to wait in a seat instead of waiting in line. There is no sweet spot.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
No but, sorry, I'm not sympathetic, except for the rudeness of the agent. I'd love it if flights boarded right when boarding was to start and if they closed the door and departed as soon as possible. I try to get to the gate not later than when boarding starts (and usually a few minutes before that), since sometimes flights board early. Admirals Clubs are not that great and aren't worth missing being among the first to board. At least AA affirmatively contacted you.
Part of the point is that they don't depart early. At least never in my experiences. You just sit there waiting until departure time (or later)

And my goal is never to board first -- I don't need the overhead space and I find it 100x more comfortable to sit 10 extra minutes in an AC chair than in coach.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
Today I'm flying an envoy flight BOS-JFK, which departs out of B36. The flight departs at 2:57pm, and boards around 2:27pm. I'm at the lounge at B4, which is about a 10 minute walk to the gate. I leave at boarding time sharp (2:27pm).

About 5 minutes into my walk (2:35pm), I get a phone call from a mass. Number. It's AA:
AAgent: "hello no2chem this is x with AA, will you still be traveling with us today?"
Me: "yes, I'm at gate B23 and walking"
AAgent: " you're the last to board the gate will be closed soon"
Me: " boarding started 5 minutes ago"
AAgent: "you're the last to board the gate is about to close"

.... So I get there and the agent repeats how I'm the last to board and they were about to close the gate. I make it a point that the gate isn't supposed to close until 10mins before departure, and it's 2:40, 17 mins before departure.

To add insult to injury, the flight departs 10mins late anyway

While I appreciate the call (sort of, the AAgent was really rude and it sounded like she wanted her bonus points for closing the flight early), they really need to fix this early boarding crap. At least announce in the AC when you're going to do that.

Anyone else experience this?

​​​​​​

​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​​
Yes, I've ran into the same situation. Since on certain flights I am not so concerned with overhead space, I prefer to stay in the lounge as long as possible and board last. Like you, I leave the lounge exactly when boarding is scheduled to begin and by the time I get to the gate (5-10 mins later) they are announcing final boarding. I'll sometimes even get a comment made that they were about to give my seat away. I completely understand they are aiming for an on-time departure, but they need to get their act together and stop changing the rules/procedures without clearly communicating.
LINDEGR, no2chem, scfw0x0f and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jacca83; Mar 1, 2019 at 7:50 am Reason: Type

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.