Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by LWT3
My wife and I will be flying with our 2 year old out of FLL going to Charlotte next month on an A321. And then from Charlotte to Detroit on a Bombardier CRJ-900. I'm interested in advice about when to show up at the gate and when to board for both legs of the flight. I thought it would be wise to board late, hopefully letting my daughter burn off some energy in the terminal rather than make her sit on the plane for an extra half hour, but I'm reading posts up thread saying if you don't board early you risk not getting overhead space even in business. Thoughts?
Regardless of cabin, this is a very valid concern. I've always split forces with Mrs. EnPremiere. One takes care of boarding as early as your status/class of service allows with the overhead bag while the other is busy keeping the little miscreants active until around the last group or at the tail end of the boarding process. You'll still spend a little time on the jet way but it beats expending your/their energy in a seat for the entire boarding process. Ideally when they're very young, timing your flights for nap is helpful and if you're open to it, a screen can make it easier to distract 'em.

I've also resorted to bringing crayons on board and asking for a stack of Barclay's applications to keep everyone (both young and old) happy with creative, thoughtful doodles in the blank spaces. You can then send them away in hopes that they'll be recognized for their artistic achievements by Barclays. Having no artwork returned to date must must mean that they are much appreciated and undoubtedly gracing some highly visible hallway or fridge at the Barclays' application processing center.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
On Saturday my JFK/MIA flight boarded 15 minutes early but still took over an hour to complete boarding-772. All kinds of drama over seat assignments.
I do find it particularly annoying when the overhead boarding music stops and as I can only imagine that some passengers seem to get confused that it isn't musical seats or Southwest, rushing wildly to plunk themselves down on really anything that looks decent
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

There is internal disdain over boarding times from the flight attendants. Boarding times are contractual for them and agents boarding early is a violation of their contract. I think the issue at hand is, 35 minutes is not enough to board a full loaded 737 with 172 passengers. I bet during FA contract negotiations AA will push for at least 40 minute boarding for domestic narrow bodies.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Had a bad D0 experience over the weekend. Flight into MIA from SFO for a deep South America connection was two hours late. I ran to my gate as I still had 15 minutes to make the connection and got there maybe 10 minutes before departure time. The flight, of course, had closed. By departure time, there was at least 15 people there from my SFO flight when the gate agent came up and started to rebook people for the flight the next night.

Obviously, the gate agent knew the SFO plane had 15 people connecting and would be arriving late. The planes sit in South America for 12 hours so holding the plane wouldn't cause any delays on the other end. I get the importance of D0 when a plane starts its day as those delays add on throughout the day but ... to the last flights of the day to South America?
D0 is chasing customers away with a stick.
Way to go Parker!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
There is internal disdain over boarding times from the flight attendants. Boarding times are contractual for them and agents boarding early is a violation of their contract. I think the issue at hand is, 35 minutes is not enough to board a full loaded 737 with 172 passengers. I bet during FA contract negotiations AA will push for at least 40 minute boarding for domestic narrow bodies.
Definitely agree:
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:55 pm

OP was at BOS. Has anybody else found this more prevalent in BOS than other airports? We actually were turned away at T-17 at BOS a couple years ago, because they decided to close the doors early. No apologies (which wasn't shocking), but instead downright rudeness on a level I rarely see in "professional" interactions. Enough to leave one member of our party in tears.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by TSparky
When I fly a 789 out of LAX boarding time starts at T-35 which is reflected on the screen at the gate but not on the app. Once boarding starts it takes10-15min to board. With the new bins there's a lot less jostling over where to put bags in the overhead.
The correct boarding times have been printing on boarding passes (paper and app) for a few months now, while the screens were corrected prior to that. So both should now reflect the same boarding time.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by bobert24
OP was at BOS. Has anybody else found this more prevalent in BOS than other airports? We actually were turned away at T-17 at BOS a couple years ago, because they decided to close the doors early. No apologies (which wasn't shocking), but instead downright rudeness on a level I rarely see in "professional" interactions. Enough to leave one member of our party in tears.
would this qualify for IDB?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Had a bad D0 experience over the weekend. Flight into MIA from SFO for a deep South America connection was two hours late. I ran to my gate as I still had 15 minutes to make the connection and got there maybe 10 minutes before departure time. The flight, of course, had closed. By departure time, there was at least 15 people there from my SFO flight when the gate agent came up and started to rebook people for the flight the next night.

Obviously, the gate agent knew the SFO plane had 15 people connecting and would be arriving late. The planes sit in South America for 12 hours so holding the plane wouldn't cause any delays on the other end. I get the importance of D0 when a plane starts its day as those delays add on throughout the day but ... to the last flights of the day to South America?
D0 shows up on the stat sheet. Fifteen unnecessarily rebooked passengers doesn’t.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikal768
So this makes me worry a little. I usually fly Delta but going on vacation with friends who cant/don’t want to spend extra on flights so they go with the cheapest at the time, so we’re stuck with AA.

Both flights connect at DFW, one way via AA itself, the other via American Eagle.

Both flights have a 40 minute layover which I assumed would be good enough barring delays, but if they regularly close off early, should I try and convince them to do a different connection with longer layover?
I wouldn't chance it. For me, 60 minutes is the bare minimum at DFW. 40 minutes means you have 25 minutes before they close the door (I have had them close it at t-15 when I came running up). 5-10 minutes to get off. AE to mainline means taking the skylink to another terminal which is 10-20min gate to gate. So even if you are on time you are taking a risk. I have spent many flights at DFW waiting on the tarmack because our gate was occupied.
gradboozer and bscooter26 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
would this qualify for IDB?
I was hoping it would qualify for something, but not surprisingly, the GA recorded us as arriving at T-5, so it was our word against hers (and obviously, we'd have every reason to lie and she'd have none, right?). I wish I had thought to take a picture of the clock on the board the minute she said we were too late.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by TSparky
I wouldn't chance it. For me, 60 minutes is the bare minimum at DFW. 40 minutes means you have 25 minutes before they close the door (I have had them close it at t-15 when I came running up). 5-10 minutes to get off. AE to mainline means taking the skylink to another terminal which is 10-20min gate to gate. So even if you are on time you are taking a risk. I have spent many flights at DFW waiting on the tarmack because our gate was occupied.
To add to this, as efficient as DFW is compared to other airports, the taxi times are also some of the longest I've experienced, with the exception being taxiing around to the low odd-numbered gates at MIA.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:02 am

I've booked ALB-ORD-ASE. My connection time was 8:30am-9:50am and due to an AA schedule change, it has gone from 9:14am-9:48am.

I called AA and asked to take the last flight the night before ALB-ORD and get a hotel at my own expense.
AA Response: No. 34 minutes is still legal at ORD. You'll need to pay the $200 and any fare difference.
Me: But I would have never bought these $954 tickets with a 34 minute connection. Plus there is no protection to ASE that same day.
AA: Well it is a legal connection and we can change the schedule. The original arrival/departurel timings don't exceed 60 minutes - just the layover times are different - so you don't get the waiver for a schedule change.
(Orig dptr 7:10am to 7:50am / Orig arvl. 11:39am to 11:44am)
AA: Plus both are operated by Skywest so they'll probably be parked close to one another.
Me: Maybe. Maybe Not.

I called back and explained it over again.

Next AA Agent: I can offer you a discount on the change fee to $100 but that's it.
AA: Maybe wait a while since you have 3 months and there will be another schedule change.

Ugh. I cant help but think we will be a victim of D0 even with a 5-10 minute delay. Both are CR7 aircraft. I guess part of the key is not to have any bags they have to gate check as that could add 10-12 minutes wait time at ORD.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by bobert24
I was hoping it would qualify for something, but not surprisingly, the GA recorded us as arriving at T-5, so it was our word against hers (and obviously, we'd have every reason to lie and she'd have none, right?). I wish I had thought to take a picture of the clock on the board the minute she said we were too late.
So what is the best way to document one's arrival tome at the gate (assuming that the gate agent is uncooperative).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
So what is the best way to document one's arrival tome at the gate (assuming that the gate agent is uncooperative).
I’d guess a photo of the screen at the gate, they have the time and that pretty clearly demonstrates you were at the gate.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.