FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958625-stop-early-boarding-d0-stupidity.html)

isle-hawg Mar 3, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 30833918)
I may be in the minority, but I'm good with them boarding early since it gives a somewhat better likelihood of us actually getting out of there on time. I find when they start boarding "on time" on the mainline planes, half the time they are still boarding by the time we should depart.

Maybe what they really need to do is bump up the departure time to 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

I agree with your points. The RJ's when they board on-time often push back early - the mainline often late.

I am in the super minority in this thread with experiences. I cannot recall a single AA flight that I have been on boarding early. About 2/3 - 1/2 of of mine board late.

linglingfool Mar 3, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 30833921)
AA2520 DFW-ORD 787-8 February 23

Arrived at gate 5 minutes after scheduled boarding time (incoming flight late due to high winds at DFW).

Group 8 was already boarding.

I was on this flight a couple months ago. On my way out of the A club at the stated boarding time (to the gate directly across from the club entrance), I was rhetorically asked by the AAngel if I had "lost track of time", as they were already on final boarding, and that I needed to hurry. She wasn't wrong, but I didn't appreciate the attitude from her, or the GAs. We were the last ones on, but the doors didn't close for another 20+ minutes.

No idea how early they started boarding the 788 to have it fully loaded at T-30.

arc727 Mar 3, 2019 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 30833918)
I may be in the minority, but I'm good with them boarding early since it gives a somewhat better likelihood of us actually getting out of there on time. I find when they start boarding "on time" on the mainline planes, half the time they are still boarding by the time we should depart.

Maybe what they really need to do is bump up the departure time to 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

I flew Delta recently, and I belive their boarding started at either T-35 or T-40 for mainline planes. Since AA likes to copy Delta on a lot of things, maybe this can be something they follow suit on. :p

In my experience, early boarding can be such a tease. It gives the notion we’ll push back early, but in reality it’s just more time sitting on a stuffy plane while the final bags are being loaded and the paperwork is completed. In the end, departure isn’t usually until T-0 or later.

E55 Mar 3, 2019 11:39 pm

When boarding times become inconsistent, the 1-4 boarding group benefit evaporates.

brettsir Mar 4, 2019 2:55 am

Originally Posted by no2chem (Post 30843261)
The luggage excuse really annoys me, as AA has the most idiotic late luggage-check policy in the industry (as in, no bags accepted, even as 'late' after T-45)... so they really don't have an excuse here...

That policy is most likely to avoid bags being checked in and not having enough time to get to the plane. Bags have to go through TSA like everyone else, and at the end, cant walk to their gate on their own. Even if a bag is checked in late, if it doesn't arrive with you and you file a claim at your destination, that claim is reported to the DOT as if AA truly lost your bag. As it is, the policy barely cuts it at some airports. So if you're delayed because of bags, blame the person who arrived at the counter 46 min before departure. They are the one making you wait as their bag travels through the airport, gets screened by TSA, has whatever hazmat is inside it removed, waits for a ramp agent to rush it to the gate, is loaded, and then requires load sheets and manifests must be amended before departure.

jordyn Mar 4, 2019 6:20 am

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 30845172)
That policy is most likely to avoid bags being checked in and not having enough time to get to the plane. Bags have to go through TSA like everyone else, and at the end, cant walk to their gate on their own. Even if a bag is checked in late, if it doesn't arrive with you and you file a claim at your destination, that claim is reported to the DOT as if AA truly lost your bag. As it is, the policy barely cuts it at some airports. So if you're delayed because of bags, blame the person who arrived at the counter 46 min before departure. They are the one making you wait as their bag travels through the airport, gets screened by TSA, has whatever hazmat is inside it removed, waits for a ramp agent to rush it to the gate, is loaded, and then requires load sheets and manifests must be amended before departure.

I think you're missing the point. Other airlines allow baggage to be checked later than 45 minutes and don't have this problem. So it's infuriating that AA requires extra time to handle the bags and still can't manage to get them on the plane faster than the passengers.

no2chem Mar 8, 2019 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 30845172)

On other airlines, they just tag a big red "LATE CHECKED" thing on your bag and make you sign a waiver, so it's really not an issue. I'm not sure if it's the stupidity of AA's ops or their crappy IT system and their quest to remove all aagent empowerment (apparently, a supervisor can no longer override the error). I've been able to get around it occasionally by SDFC to a later flight, checking the bag, and then SDFC back on to the original flight, but I think their system checks if you have checked bags and disallows this now.

Also, other airlines have shorter bag cut offs and WAYYYYYY more checked bags (like WN, with 2x checked bags free), and they don't have this ridiculous bag problem with the TSA causing them delays.

And that's besides the point, I mean why rush to load the plane full of pax if the bags aren't there yet?

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 30845582)
I think you're missing the point. Other airlines allow baggage to be checked later than 45 minutes and don't have this problem. So it's infuriating that AA requires extra time to handle the bags and still can't manage to get them on the plane faster than the passengers.

Spot on.

deac83 Mar 8, 2019 11:48 pm

Outside of the phone call, they really called?, people are shocked they board early? DFW Monday AM flights? You better be there 40 min before boarding if you want to be in your group.

I frequently see them close the door and 5-10 min before departure, but I have no expectation of them pulling back immediately.

Since AA doesn't notify us when boarding starts, here is the tip. Go on the app, click on 'inbound flight', if it's at the gate more than 45 minutes before you flight is supposed to take off, you might want to be there if don't want to be 'shocked' by early boarding. Otherwise allow 15-20 minutes for boarding to start after the 45 minute mark.

Sorry it's not really that complicated.

ATLflyer2017 Mar 9, 2019 8:00 am

I have flown AA from DFW to GGG probably 8 times in 2018. Boarding was never announced and I arrived when boarding was supposed to start and was the last person on the plane (I don't have lounge access).
I think it's interesting that everyone is so interested in the airline's policy...and then when it doesn't get followed everyone gets upset. Here's the thing...I just try to adapt to what actually happens. A policy on a website somewhere means nothing. I don't want to miss my flight so I will just sit at the gate a few minutes before boarding is supposed to start. There is no way that anyone can "train" the airline to board at the correct time and close the door at the correct time. They don't care if you want to sit in the lounge before your flight. So, instead of me getting frustrated when I sit in the gate area or get on the plane and sit, I am going to adjust my expectations. I expect that flying isn't the most enjoyable experience and the whole motto is "hurry up and wait". Therefore I find myself being much less irritated.

jordyn Mar 9, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by deac83 (Post 30864833)
Sorry it's not really that complicated.

Here's another idea that wouldn't be that complicated: just board at the time you print on the boarding pass.

Alternatively, if an AAgent wants to board earlier than they tell their customers, don't get grumpy with them when they've chosen to travel according to your documented times rather than requiring everyone to find this thread and read your rules of thumb.

Even better still: try to track and incent against a useful metric like "what percentage of passengers get to their final destination on time?" rather than "what fraction of the time do we close the door early?"

iadisgreat Mar 9, 2019 8:55 am

I don't see what is so onerous about a 45 minute check in (at most US airports) in this context of boarding flights early.

s0ssos Mar 9, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by GoodFastOrCheap (Post 30833131)
Someone decided to begin the boarding process early (who knows why) and the gate agent (correctly) noticed you were checked-in but not on the plane once it finished. You can complain, but flights take off and arrive early quite frequently.

Can you prove that? I thought AA had one of the worst on-time performances.

beachfan Mar 9, 2019 9:31 am

just curious, which ones?

jordyn Mar 9, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 30866117)
just curious, which ones?

Most of them.

JetBlue, United and Delta's all have default bag cutoff times of 30 minutes. Alaska's is 40 minutes.

Southwest's is also 45, but unlike AA they're willing to late-check bags. (So is Delta; I'm not sure about the rest.)

Exec_Plat Mar 9, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 30838724)

Not sure if you are agreeing with my statement that AA controls when they leave the gate which is independent of airport ground control.

They close door, release brake- and they have departed.

WHen they MOVE off the gate and onto the taxiway is a different story.

deac83 Mar 9, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 30865980)
Here's another idea that wouldn't be that complicated: just board at the time you print on the boarding pass.

I don't disagree with this but when I know the reality is different than the policy, I'll go with the reality.

Oddly aa.com give you more information than the app. i.e. app says departed, aa.com says awaiting takeoff.

At LGA, if you are in the aa club, you can see gates 1-5, I'll just take a look to see if the plane has come to the gate and start the clock ticking to get to the gate.

DOT has established the measure for on time departures to include closing the door, I'm not surprised that it leads to bad behavior that negatively impact the pax.

Athena53 Mar 12, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by freQ (Post 30835545)
Happened to me at CLT. I had to use the restroom and we still had around 20 minutes before boarding started. All of a sudden they start boarding early - I have never seen a plane board that fast in my life. I was all like 😦

AA app didn’t say anything, that app is not always up to date.

Yes- this is what I hate. This past Sunday I arrived late into CLT from CHS- bad fog in CLT and they had to do a "precision landing"- we had to power down all our devices. So, we got to the gate half an hour late. It happens. I had 20 minutes to get to my connecting flight, which was posted on time. Made a breathless run through the terminal- and found that the inbound for my connecting flight wasn't even there yet. They finally posted a later departure time just before the original departure time.

It would certainly help if the app had correct info about flight status, including when a flight has started boarding.

NJFlyer_HOHO Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am

I actually got refused boarding because I arrive T minus 15 mins before departure for an oversold flight PHL-BOS. I was trying to argue with the GA that I was supposed to be able to board because I was not late. But he insisted that "you were late". :(

ftoader Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am

It happened to me recently with AA

I was flying DFW to KOA on AA Boeing 772 last month. There were three of us flying from DTW with a connection time in DFW of about 1.5 hours. We decided to go to the American Express Centurion lounge to have breakfast and relax before the next 8+ hours flight (we were flying economy!). When we arrived in DFW, the connecting flight to KOA was showing at the same terminal where the lounge was, so short walking distance I thought. While in the lounge I checked the status of our next flight and it changed the gate to a different terminal. I panicked a bit not knowing how long it will take to reach the gate and left the lounge in a hurry about T-40. It took us 20 minutes to get to the gate but when we were about 3 gates away I received a call from AA asking if we are still going to make the flight because everyone else was boarded. I told the GA that we were seconds away. When we got to the gate the GA was nice and joked with us. I was surprised they boarded everyone in such a big plane and wondered when did they actually start boarding. The flight left the gate a few minutes late.

rjg319 Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am

Based on what you posted yourself, AA's rules state that if you're not on board 15 minutes before departure on domestic flights, they can reassign your seat to another passenger. You can complain all you want, but they are following their contract of carriage if they deny you boarding at T-10. I agree that "bothering" you at T-20 is a little excessive; however, it was a courtesy call from a gate agent who was probably trying to get the flight out early (as you also mentioned). The fact that you ended up departing late could be due to the fact that the aircraft lost the opportunity/window for an early departure while waiting for that last minute passenger to arrive.

txirish Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am

Assuming all the times are correct, the OP should have been allowed to board according to the airline's own rules. It doesn't matter if he was sitting in a lounge or racing from a delayed inbound flight.
Personally (flying UA), I'm always travelling with a roll-aboard so I get to the gate at or before the boarding time. I'm enjoying the relatively new 1K preboard policy - it eliminates the need to get in a lengthy Group 1 line. (The other day I saw a couple start the Group 1 line at T-60!) I like to get my gear stowed, headphones and work out, etc. before the crush. With UA, I find that boarding times vary by airport. I fly out of AUS, and it's common for UA to start boarding 5 (or more) minutes early. At their hubs and other airports, early boarding seems to be less common.

JALOO5-Flyer Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am

AA's boarding process is really a mystery.
Situation 1: at LAX, left FL lounge at T-30 sharp heading to Gate 42B for a tcon flight. Took me less than 5 minutes on the way and when I arrived at the gate it seemed the majority had boarded and there's no line at gate at that time. Good thing about tcon was there's still plenty OH space in F.
Situation 2: at MIA. I was closely monitoring the incoming flight on flightradar24 as the incoming a/c was still held on the taxiway. The app showed "boarding now" despite the a/c had not yet arrived at the gate. Asked an AAgent at lounge she said it should board pretty soon you should head to the gate. Boarding ended up commencing 20 min after scheduled departure. That's way more than enough time to take a shower and grab some small bites.

jordyn Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by deac83 (Post 30866866)
DOT has established the measure for on time departures to include closing the door, I'm not surprised that it leads to bad behavior that negatively impact the pax.

Eh, sort of. DOT does track that, but the primary statistic they publish is on-time arrival. The fact that AA obsesses about D0 is because they've chosen to focus on the metric they feel like they have the most control over instead of the one that their customers care about.

jensha Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm

I have experienced this multiple times and missed two flights where the door was closed 20 minutes before departure time. And every time an unhelpful control-freak GA was involved.

jliehr Mar 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ftoader (Post 30877296)
I was flying DFW to KOA on AA Boeing 772 last month. There were three of us flying from DTW with a connection time in DFW of about 1.5 hours. We decided to go to the American Express Centurion lounge to have breakfast and relax before the next 8+ hours flight (we were flying economy!). When we arrived in DFW, the connecting flight to KOA was showing at the same terminal where the lounge was, so short walking distance I thought. While in the lounge I checked the status of our next flight and it changed the gate to a different terminal. I panicked a bit not knowing how long it will take to reach the gate and left the lounge in a hurry about T-40. It took us 20 minutes to get to the gate but when we were about 3 gates away I received a call from AA asking if we are still going to make the flight because everyone else was boarded. I told the GA that we were seconds away. When we got to the gate the GA was nice and joked with us. I was surprised they boarded everyone in such a big plane and wondered when did they actually start boarding. The flight left the gate a few minutes late.

I don't have my boarding passes anymore, but I am pretty certain that both of my DFW-HNL flights and DFW-KOA flights have had boarding times on the pass at T-45, which makes sense with the larger planes.

TIGA31328 Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm

At least they made the effort. The last time I flew with AA they changed the flight's gate three times, different terminals in under an hour. Then they started boarding early, I was there 10 mins after scheduled boarding was to start, running the whole way, and they had already closed the door. I missed my flight and had to wait 4hrs for the next one. As I said, last time I flew AA.

Patrick

arc727 Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jliehr (Post 30878597)
I don't have my boarding passes anymore, but I am pretty certain that both of my DFW-HNL flights and DFW-KOA flights have had boarding times on the pass at T-45, which makes sense with the larger planes.

Yeah, widebody planes most definitely start boarding at T-45 if not T-50.

TSparky Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer (Post 30877985)
Situation 1: at LAX, left FL lounge at T-30 sharp heading to Gate 42B for a tcon flight. Took me less than 5 minutes on the way and when I arrived at the gate it seemed the majority had boarded and there's no line at gate at that time. Good thing about tcon was there's still plenty OH space in F..

When I fly a 789 out of LAX boarding time starts at T-35 which is reflected on the screen at the gate but not on the app. Once boarding starts it takes10-15min to board. With the new bins there's a lot less jostling over where to put bags in the overhead.

Gig103 Mar 12, 2019 1:48 pm

I hate this too!! I had a too-close-for-me call HNL-PHX two years ago and I get anxious just recalling it from your post. We were only like 2 gates over charging our devices and when boarding was scheduled to begin, I walked over since we were in F. I found that the entire plane had boarded already!

More recently, flying LAX-PVG, I left the Flagship Lounge at the scheduled boarding time (which was right at the gate of my aircraft, 41 or 42 I think). When I walked up, I found them already boarding zone 7! I was correctly processed next via the priority lane, but I agree that boarding that early is absurd.

JALOO5-Flyer Mar 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30878736)
I hate this too!! I had a too-close-for-me call HNL-PHX two years ago and I get anxious just recalling it from your post. We were only like 2 gates over charging our devices and when boarding was scheduled to begin, I walked over since we were in F. I found that the entire plane had boarded already!

More recently, flying LAX-PVG, I left the Flagship Lounge at the scheduled boarding time (which was right at the gate of my aircraft, 41 or 42 I think). When I walked up, I found them already boarding zone 7! I was correctly processed next via the priority lane, but I agree that boarding that early is absurd.

I'm fine with early boarding when they are ready, but proper announcement/notification is very needed.

MarkInMichigan Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm

AA's on-time fixation is crazy. This weekend, was flying MIA-DTW at 13:36. At about 12:45, I received a text that departure was now 14:00. I made my way to the gate -- arriving about 13:20. At that point, they announce that the delay is because there are no pilots available and that they will arrive in Miami at 14:00. At 13:30, they begin boarding the plane "so that they will be ready to go when the pilots arrive". I realize that there will be no way that we will depart before 14:30 and decide to sit in the gate area, rather than board. (My seat was in F on an A319). Almost immediately after they call Group 9 and the last passengers board, they page me to the counter. "Are you planning on getting on this flight?" Yes, I answered. Well, you need to board now or we will give away your seat, I was told. (All through this time, the AA app and the monitor are still showing a 14:00 departure.) I boarded the plane and of course, we did not depart until 14:45. So, when is T-15 or T-10 when AA shows departure at 14:00 even though that is completely impossible?

jliehr Mar 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by MarkInMichigan (Post 30879514)
AA's on-time fixation is crazy. This weekend, was flying MIA-DTW at 13:36. At about 12:45, I received a text that departure was now 14:00. I made my way to the gate -- arriving about 13:20. At that point, they announce that the delay is because there are no pilots available and that they will arrive in Miami at 14:00. At 13:30, they begin boarding the plane "so that they will be ready to go when the pilots arrive". I realize that there will be no way that we will depart before 14:30 and decide to sit in the gate area, rather than board. (My seat was in F on an A319). Almost immediately after they call Group 9 and the last passengers board, they page me to the counter. "Are you planning on getting on this flight?" Yes, I answered. Well, you need to board now or we will give away your seat, I was told. (All through this time, the AA app and the monitor are still showing a 14:00 departure.) I boarded the plane and of course, we did not depart until 14:45. So, when is T-15 or T-10 when AA shows departure at 14:00 even though that is completely impossible?

T-15 is always original departure time, AA’s reasoning is they can always switch pilots/crew if schedules allow, even if it rarely happens in practice.

deac83 Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm

I did have this happen in CLT. The AA club was next to the gate. We had a delay, which was posted but they boarded the plane anyway. Fortunately I figured it out before I sat in the club and watched my plane pull away in front of me.

teddybear99 Mar 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer (Post 30877985)
Situation 2: at MIA. I was closely monitoring the incoming flight on flightradar24 as the incoming a/c was still held on the taxiway. The app showed "boarding now" despite the a/c had not yet arrived at the gate. Asked an AAgent at lounge she said it should board pretty soon you should head to the gate. Boarding ended up commencing 20 min after scheduled departure. That's way more than enough time to take a shower and grab some small bites.

With MIA being a maint hub for AA, they could easily replace, if available, the aircraft with a similar configured aircraft and depart on time. They have done this in the past if the plane was doing a "turn-around" and coming directly back to MIA. Although rare as planes schedules are usually planned weeks in advance, it can happen, so tracking a plane on flightradar24 is not always accurate.

C17PSGR Mar 18, 2019 6:43 am

Had a bad D0 experience over the weekend. Flight into MIA from SFO for a deep South America connection was two hours late. I ran to my gate as I still had 15 minutes to make the connection and got there maybe 10 minutes before departure time. The flight, of course, had closed. By departure time, there was at least 15 people there from my SFO flight when the gate agent came up and started to rebook people for the flight the next night.

Obviously, the gate agent knew the SFO plane had 15 people connecting and would be arriving late. The planes sit in South America for 12 hours so holding the plane wouldn't cause any delays on the other end. I get the importance of D0 when a plane starts its day as those delays add on throughout the day but ... to the last flights of the day to South America?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 18, 2019 6:50 am

On Saturday my JFK/MIA flight boarded 15 minutes early but still took over an hour to complete boarding-772. All kinds of drama over seat assignments.

C17PSGR Mar 18, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30900295)
On Saturday my JFK/MIA flight boarded 15 minutes early but still took over an hour to complete boarding-772. All kinds of drama over seat assignments.

On a JFK/MIA flight? Call me shocked!

mikal768 Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am

So this makes me worry a little. I usually fly Delta but going on vacation with friends who cant/don’t want to spend extra on flights so they go with the cheapest at the time, so we’re stuck with AA.

Both flights connect at DFW, one way via AA itself, the other via American Eagle.

Both flights have a 40 minute layover which I assumed would be good enough barring delays, but if they regularly close off early, should I try and convince them to do a different connection with longer layover?

CNMAZ Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am

Our experience last August:

Flying PHX-ORD-MAD, our PHX-ORD was diverted to STL due to weather and the airplane did not have enough fuel to stay in a holding pattern. While in STL, the airport staff helped with connections due to this delay and held our business class seat on an AA flight to LHR to connect to MAD but it was going to be very close to catch that LHR flight.

We had no checked bags, so we ran to the gate at ORD and made it with passengers still boarding, 25 minutes before schedule departure. The gate agent starts the process of changing our ticket and has some issues and asked for help from another gate agent. The last of the ticketed passengers boarded while the agents were still working on fixing our ticket. The gate supervisor made the decision to close the gate, 20 minutes before the scheduled departure time, leaving us at the counter because all ticketed passengers were on the airplane. The agent working on our tickets apologized, said there was nothing further she could do, told us to go to the AC and have them reschedule us and left for the jet bridge. My wife and I are both EP, at that moment, we made the decision we are no longer going to be loyal to AA and have barely flown them since. We will use up our AA miles and move on.

LWT3 Mar 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Suggested boarding time with a 2 year old in business?

My wife and I will be flying with our 2 year old out of FLL going to Charlotte next month on an A321. And then from Charlotte to Detroit on a Bombardier CRJ-900. I'm interested in advice about when to show up at the gate and when to board for both legs of the flight. I thought it would be wise to board late, hopefully letting my daughter burn off some energy in the terminal rather than make her sit on the plane for an extra half hour, but I'm reading posts up thread saying if you don't board early you risk not getting overhead space even in business. Thoughts?