FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958625-stop-early-boarding-d0-stupidity.html)

iadisgreat Mar 23, 19 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 30914408)
Turn on your phones' video recorder. Dont hold it up like you are Coppola, maybe grab a pass by the clock, the agent, etc. But leave it sitting out in your hand. That way you get the images, time, and audio context of the whole interaction. Ive started doing that when I think a situation may go sideways- not just air travel. Ive even kept it in a shirt pocket, just for audio

🙄

jliehr Mar 24, 19 8:05 pm

New one for me, flying out of E38A at CLT, get to gate at D-30, already in group 9. No priority line (seems to be a temp space) and we have to queue outside, except nobody allowed on the plane so we are all just waiting outside listening to all of the engines before we get delayed 18 minutes (which Iím sure will start rolling soon), sent us back inside while they change a tire.

Adelphos Mar 29, 19 5:25 am

Early boarding is one of the worst things about flying AA. Often, I need to be on the phone at the gate, and finishing up something at the club, whatever, and would like to wait until t-15 or t-10 to board. And when I do want to board on time, often boarding has already started, and you have to push through other passengers to board with your actual group, which is awkward. A lot of this would be solved with app alerts that let you know when boarding has started

dgparent Mar 29, 19 7:28 am

Couple of weeks ago I at security for my 5:55 AM flt from HTS-CLT at 5:25, they are announcing final boarding, at the time boarding is supposed to be starting. Me and another guy get on, they close the doors and we sit there 30 mins waiting for CLT to clear us to leave.

ryan182 Mar 29, 19 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 30942190)
A lot of this would be solved with app alerts that let you know when boarding has started

If only an airline could create such wizardry...oh wait. Also a push notification is good for the rolling 15 min delays that AA is so found of but its not a fix for their GAs boarding early, the fix for that is to keep to their published schedule.

bchandler02 Apr 1, 19 5:26 am

Had my first experience with this on my trip last week. Showed up for a flight with an 11:50 board time at 11:47, they were already calling group 4. Very annoying.

I'm not sure why time is such a challenging thing for some people. Early can be just as bad as late.

SouthernCross Apr 1, 19 5:56 am

Originally Posted by rjlon (Post 30919865)
I really appreciate early boarding. I get very angry with people turning up at last minute meaning we push back late. I would go so far as to invalidate the tickets of people who check luggage and then do not show up. At busy airports where there are likely lines for the runway(s) and congestion in the alley and around gates, my idea of an excellent flight is pushing back 5 minutes early. This is much better than the old AA practice of getting everyone to the gate and then sit there or stand for 20 minutes whilst the gate staff busily used their terminals and flight attendants and flight deck roll up late due to traffic on the 405. Earlier the better. An email will do, you do not need to call me. Good job American.

Would your perspective change if you missed a connection because of an early departure?

boerne Apr 2, 19 7:58 am

I was warned by a different FT thread a couple of years ago about AA and early boarding. So we have been adding 10-15 minutes to any scheduled boarding time either on a screen or a BP. This is especially true at AUS. While the post upthread by JonNYC is interesting, in the chaos of battle at the gate these messages, and the Coc become irrelevant to most GAs that I have seen. You can argue about the CoC all you want, but I am guessing the busy GA really rarely thinks about that. They have a different priority. Its a little bit like CPR. You have read all the literature and practiced on a dummy, but when the real deal starts, things get a little crazy.

Score8 Apr 2, 19 8:40 am

Like many of you, I'm on the side of transparency. The app would have to do more than inform that they are beginning to board. If you are Group 1, you would already have to be at the gate to benefit. I think there should be a 5 minute hot button at all the gates. This would allow folks to swallow their meals whole and get to the gate.

ksucats Apr 2, 19 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Score8 (Post 30956315)
Like many of you, I'm on the side of transparency. The app would have to do more than inform that they are beginning to board. If you are Group 1, you would already have to be at the gate to benefit. I think there should be a 5 minute hot button at all the gates. This would allow folks to swallow their meals whole and get to the gate.

They don't always know 5 minutes out. A lot of flights hold off on boarding for either a maitenance inspection or waiting on a crew member and as soon as that crew member arrives or inspection is done, they start boarding.

TSparky Apr 2, 19 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SouthernCross (Post 30951903)
Would your perspective change if you missed a connection because of an early departure?

I believe these are 2 separate issues. Early boarding is an annoyance and can cause you to check a bag. Early departure can be a major issue causing someone to lose hours or even days.

ryan182 Apr 2, 19 11:13 am

Originally Posted by boerne (Post 30956164)
You can argue about the CoC all you want, but I am guessing the busy GA really rarely thinks about that. They have a different priority. Its a little bit like CPR. You have read all the literature and practiced on a dummy, but when the real deal starts, things get a little crazy.

No, no its not at all like CPR. Its boarding a freaking airplane, if one finds that process is too difficult or stressful then they should seek alternate means of employment. This is hard nor is it subjective, the timelines and cutoffs are well documented so its not unrealistic for customers to expect these "professionals" to be capable of understanding and adhering to them.

C46 Apr 2, 19 11:28 am

That's quite funny; as a "professional" I have experienced MANY flights, were I would have wished for understanding and adhering to rules & regulations, on the pax-side, as well!

The customer is always right, but the customer certainly isn't always right!

BWISkyGuy Apr 2, 19 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 30956878)
No, no its not at all like CPR. Its boarding a freaking airplane, if one finds that process is too difficult or stressful then they should seek alternate means of employment. This is hard nor is it subjective, the timelines and cutoffs are well documented so its not unrealistic for customers to expect these "professionals" to be capable of understanding and adhering to them.

It's fascinating to me how much that extra 5 or 10 minutes means to people. I've been a member of the AC (and its preceding brands) for over 25 years now, and spending an extra 5 minutes in there isn't a priority to me. I'd rather be at the gate 40 minutes before departure just to make sure I'm in place and ready to board as needed, because flying is NEVER (in any country, on any airline) a down-to-the-second exact science that always fires of predictably without failure ever. I get it that AA is less reliable on average than others, and that's a fair ding, but travel on all airlines has taught me the habit to be present and ready.

jackonferry Apr 2, 19 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 30942190)
Early boarding is one of the worst things about flying AA. Often, I need to be on the phone at the gate, and finishing up something at the club, whatever, and would like to wait until t-15 or t-10 to board. And when I do want to board on time, often boarding has already started, and you have to push through other passengers to board with your actual group, which is awkward. A lot of this would be solved with app alerts that let you know when boarding has started

I mostly fly AA, but had to fly Delta on Friday. I was amazed at how orderly their boarding process was. I got text/app notices (for connecting flight too) when boarding started. Plane closed right on time and we pushed back 2-3 minutes early. Boarding was a lot less chaotic than on my AA flights.