Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to book a back-up one-way ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it okay to book a back-up one-way ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
People miss their original flights all the time and buy new tickets not a problem.
The difference here, though, is buying the second ticket before missing the first flight, presumably to get a better fare than a walk up fare.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHL
If it's company paid travel(which I surmise it is due to the company TA intervention), why not just switch it now and let the company incur the change fee/fare difference. You seem to have good justification.
Exactly what I was thinking. If it happened to me I'd call AMEX travel and have them move it without a second's hesitation.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Why not just simply cancel the return and book the new one way. There's nothing fraudulent about that...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
Why not just simply cancel the return and book the new one way. There's nothing fraudulent about that...
Because OP is going to try and make the return but wants the new one way as a backup in case the return is missed.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Because OP is going to try and make the return but wants the new one way as a backup in case the return is missed.
OP actually said because the meeting will go long, he will not make his flight. So his best option that's not violating the CoC is to do the ticket change with the TA/airline and suck up the fees/fare difference.
Originally Posted by digitaldilemma
I have a flight coming up to New York and my meeting departure has been extended, so I won't be able to get to the airport in time, and it's the last flight of the day.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
OP actually said because the meeting will go long, he will not make his flight. So his best option that's not violating the CoC is to do the ticket change with the TA/airline and suck up the fees/fare difference.
You forgot to read/quote the rest of OP's post. which explains the purpose of the post here (bolding is mine):

Originally Posted by digitaldilemma
I can currently purchase a one-way return the next morning that is one-third the cost of changing my R/T ticket. So this would be my back-up, insurance policy. There's always a chance that the meeting ends early, and I can still get out in time, but just in case, the one-way fare the next day makes sense.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by PHL
There's nothing violating the CoC to book a ticket the following day. Why do people say stuff like this?
ijgordon and arollins like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
There's nothing violating the CoC to book a ticket the following day. Why do people say stuff like this?
Wellllllll, just to get pedantic for the sake of it, he'd probably need to charter a plane overnight back to his origin in order to make the two tickets not technically an "impossible" booking... Although, that said, I don't believe AA's COC explicitly prohibits duplicate or impossible bookings, and they'd have to argue it falls under "Exploiting fare rules" and the "Examples include (but are not limited to)" section, which may be an uphill battle for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.