FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Offer from AA: Use Miles to Upgrade Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958409-offer-aa-use-miles-upgrade-status.html)

Yahtzee Feb 27, 2019 9:27 am

Offer from AA: Use Miles to Upgrade Status

Just received this. I can go from Platinum to Platinum Pro for $2245 or 184,500 (!) miles through January 2020. Not tempted.

Mynoles1 Feb 27, 2019 9:47 am

That's hilarious!

econometrics Feb 27, 2019 10:24 am

Interesting. So AA is putting a value of $0.012 per AAdvantage mile here... at least on this offer.

Extremely close to what the main points experts put on their miles... $0.014: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-each-program/

MarkOK Feb 27, 2019 10:46 am

1.2 cents/mile seems generous. I wouldn't consider buying miles for more than 0.5 cents/mile.

What is interesting to me is that Aadvantage puts the value of Platinum Pro over Plat at $2245.

All for what? --
Complementary upgrades instead of upgrades through earning/burning stickers (a draw in my opinion, at least at Plat you can earn stickers that can be used on your spouse, at PP you can't)
Slightly higher up the 50+ person upgrade lists (either way, the upgrades near never clear for plat pro anyways)
A bit more bonus miles
SDFCs (that are near never available anyways)

I value Plat Pro over Plat at about 60$ -- 30$ for the small bump in bonus miles and $30 for that one upgrade over the next year that may clear for a plat pro (but not a plat) on a short haul hop.
The only status at AA that matters for anyone is ExP (and naturally, CK).

RupertC Feb 27, 2019 10:51 am

I am non-elite. My offer to Gold was 91,500 miles (or $755). Er, no thanks.

autdi Feb 27, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 30827814)
Interesting. So AA is putting a value of $0.012 per AAdvantage mile here... at least on this offer.

Extremely close to what the main points experts put on their miles... $0.014: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-each-program/

Well, I have an offer of 280k or $2799, so my miles are under 1 cent. No thanks. Not that I would bite at 1.2 or 1.4 cents either.

Pasqualle7 Feb 27, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30827887)
1.2 cents/mile seems generous. I wouldn't consider buying miles for more than 0.5 cents/mile.

What is interesting to me is that Aadvantage puts the value of Platinum Pro over Plat at $2245.

All for what? --
Complementary upgrades instead of upgrades through earning/burning stickers (a draw in my opinion, at least at Plat you can earn stickers that can be used on your spouse, at PP you can't)
Slightly higher up the 50+ person upgrade lists (either way, the upgrades near never clear for plat pro anyways)
A bit more bonus miles
SDFCs (that are near never available anyways)

I value Plat Pro over Plat at about 60$ -- 30$ for the small bump in bonus miles and $30 for that one upgrade over the next year that may clear for a plat pro (but not a plat) on a short haul hop.
The only status at AA that matters for anyone is ExP (and naturally, CK).

Use of stickers for Plat and none for Plat Pro is a huge difference.

SouthernCross Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am

An interesting stat would be the percentage of Kettles who think it’s a good deal. It’s easy to forget that Flyertalk is but a sliver the traveling public.

MarkOK Feb 27, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 (Post 30828037)
Use of stickers for Plat and none for Plat Pro is a huge difference.

I disagree -- At least with my travel patterns upgrades just don't happen anyways (the only one I have gotten out of a few dozen segments at Plat pro is on a sub-500 mile flight; and I only got close - as in within 5 spots on the list of the topmost person that cleared- two other times). So it makes no difference getting complementary upgrades vs paying stickers when upgrades don't happen either way. And, to boot, plat pros don't earn stickers to bank for the future which will be quite useful to have if the economy sinks and upgrades become doable again (and this will happen, not sure when, but at some point it will happen). I am going to be left without any stickers to upgrade my wife (often a travel companion) or myself (assuming I am gold or plat -- which is more likely in the future with an economic downturn than maintaining plat pro or above). I'd rather be able to collect stickers this year for the future than get complementary waitlisting around number 20th-30th position.

autdi Feb 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCross (Post 30828074)
An interesting stat would be the percentage of Kettles who think it’s a good deal. It’s easy to forget that Flyertalk is but a sliver the traveling public.

The fact that at the end of Feb, a full 1/6th the time the buyup would cover, they are still advertising it would seem to indicate not many. If they made enough from it, they would stop advertising.

standbyalldtime Feb 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30828121)
And, to boot, plat pros don't earn stickers to bank for the future

I don't believe that's true. Many times on this forum you will have new EXPs wondering why they still DO earn stickers, and it's solely for the point of upgrading companions or banking for the future.

Antarius Feb 27, 2019 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime (Post 30829772)
I don't believe that's true. Many times on this forum you will have new EXPs wondering why they still DO earn stickers, and it's solely for the point of upgrading companions or banking for the future.

they earn stickers UNTIL becoming EXP. Once that happens, no more stickers.

I've been EXP for years now and have the same sticker balance as when I started (minus a few ised for companions). If I run out, then I will need to buy more.

Dad to Rei Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30829942)
they earn stickers UNTIL becoming EXP. Once that happens, no more stickers.

I've been EXP for years now and have the same sticker balance as when I started (minus a few ised for companions). If I run out, then I will need to buy more.

Exactly correct. I went from kettle to EXP a couple years ago, so had no stickers banked. I have spent hundreds on stickers since (Not complaining, it's good to upgrade the family).

chicagoflyer1976 Feb 27, 2019 11:20 pm

At what point will people start thinking stickers are something in a text message?

xliioper Feb 28, 2019 3:39 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30827887)

There's an existing very long thread on the buy-up/buy-back program for 2019 --
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2019-a-24.html

These offers are based in large part on how short you were from the next status level. You are reading too much into the offer amount.