Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Offer from AA: Use Miles to Upgrade Status

Offer from AA: Use Miles to Upgrade Status

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I got this yesterday. Fell from gold to gate louse due to limited work travel last year (only about 13.5k EQMs, and 2K EQDs0). My offer was $699 (always has been) or 57.5k miles.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Use of stickers for Plat and none for Plat Pro is a huge difference.
not if you rarely get upgraded via stickers.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Promo to buy up to Platinum Pro using miles

Just received an email with an offer to buy up to PP from Plat using miles or cash. It is 90,000 miles or $1095 cash(Down from $1895 in Jan). I was EP for 6 years and had less travel last year, with it getting harder to get book award flights it's tempting. Wonder how wide spread this promotion will be.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I got an offer for $559 or 56k miles.
I had Gold through January due to a challenge in 2017, with very little activity since then.
I'm not going to take it because I'm flying "first class" from now on due to not being able to stand coach any more, so I wouldn't get much benefit from it anyway.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jm62
Just received an email with an offer to buy up to PP from Plat using miles or cash. It is 90,000 miles or $1095 cash(Down from $1895 in Jan). I was EP for 6 years and had less travel last year, with it getting harder to get book award flights it's tempting. Wonder how wide spread this promotion will be.
Certainly its a lot less than $1900, but its still a lot. I can bet you that owing to our current capacity crunch, upgrades are tough to come by. We're also two months further down the road. I had good upgrade success in January, but have been batting 50% since then. DFW-DCA upgraded, PHL-LAX (#4 on the list) and LAX-DFW not upgraded (#17 on the list).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jm62
Difficulty using miles does depend on where you want to redeem. I just booked a Frankfurt to Sydney in business class for 85,000 miles and was able to get the date wanted as well as most dates either side. I would easily rate 90,000 miles as worth more than $1095.

Is being platinum pro really going to have $1100 value over Platinum? seems very expensive for complimentary domestic upgrades unless doing a hell of a lot of flights
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Your right, had some time to think about it. As a low spend EP I was only getting upgraded about 50% of the time, as a low PP it will be even worse.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:43 pm

My offer has stayed the same, then again, I was a couple hundred over the plat line. Funny that they think I'll buy something I've passed on for 3 months at the same price to get 3/4 the benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.