Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Epic Disgrace by AA on 2/26 AA126 HKG-DFW diversion to HND

Epic Disgrace by AA on 2/26 AA126 HKG-DFW diversion to HND

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Exp
I didn't even know there was an HND-DFW direct

*(Because there isn't one)*
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Above the industry average? Who are they benchmarking against--Air Koryo?
Air Koryo is always on time whether they are or aren't. Or the airline's director will get wasted via flamethrower like that guy back in January. Dear Leader has willed it.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:43 am

This is a pretty bad handling; I hope everyone involved has made it to their destinations by now.

A big question is whether AA will reimburse the hotel and transportation costs without complaint, or if they're going to pull their famous "Our contract rate in that city is <X>, and even if we refuse to provide a voucher to get that rate, we won't reimburse the actual cost" garbage that many of their agents seem to be trained to claim. Don't accept that bogus answer of course.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If 2/3 of the water in the aircraft's tanks was in the cabin, this would mean a soaked carpet and some very wet carry on bags. It sounds like a big mess in the area affected by the leak, and I'm surprised that they could dry out the cabin by the next day.

It's nice that FC customers got the personal assistant to help, but this probably wasn't the best use of staff resources as I would expect FC passengers to be experienced international travelers who could handle this independently once they were given instructions/vouchers for the hotel at the airport.
often F passengers are elderly infrequent flyers. Same with J. And Y
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by jmastron
This is a pretty bad handling; I hope everyone involved has made it to their destinations by now.

A big question is whether AA will reimburse the hotel and transportation costs without complaint, or if they're going to pull their famous "Our contract rate in that city is <X>, and even if we refuse to provide a voucher to get that rate, we won't reimburse the actual cost" garbage that many of their agents seem to be trained to claim. Don't accept that bogus answer of course.
She lands in dallas in about 2 hours, so just about 24hrs late.

I wont accept it, but just in case I booked her tickets on my Citi card so she should be covered.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boerne
What a nightmare for your GF. Good thing you had the ability to help her. 3 lesson points reinforced for me (had learned these lessons the hard way)

doing LAX to AKL in a few days

in the US
have a Google Fi phone or T Mo
have 2 credit cards + ATM card (or 2)
Avoid checking bags
Carry water
be prepared to help yourself because your carrier may or may not.
ATM card is good advice. They tend to work everywhere. Although honestly I've never had a credit card not work for a purchase either (assuming that the place takes credit cards at all), chip or no chip, across Europe, Asia, central America, and counting.

Avoiding checking bags is a little silly IMO. Sure, I could do a 2-3 week trip with just carry ons, but that's a lot of inconvenience. I'd rather put up with the inconvenience the rare time that something happens rather than put up with it all the time.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
ATM card is good advice. They tend to work everywhere. Although honestly I've never had a credit card not work for a purchase either (assuming that the place takes credit cards at all), chip or no chip, across Europe, Asia, central America, and counting.

Avoiding checking bags is a little silly IMO. Sure, I could do a 2-3 week trip with just carry ons, but that's a lot of inconvenience. I'd rather put up with the inconvenience the rare time that something happens rather than put up with it all the time.
On a long haul trip for such a long period, I'd agree that practically speaking checking is perfectly normally and even avoids the crush to board quickly on domestic sectors that could run out of space.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
i've never been on a diverted flight, but how do you handle visa issues if it's a forced landing? Does the local government just make an exception or do they issue some kind of temporary visa when exiting the aircraft?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econometrics
18:25 to LAX on a 789.
Yeah not surprised then. AA staff likely left work around 7/8pm and Tokyo is large. Hard to imagine getting them back to the airport easily.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by morrisunc
i've never been on a diverted flight, but how do you handle visa issues if it's a forced landing? Does the local government just make an exception or do they issue some kind of temporary visa when exiting the aircraft?
Depends on the country but many do. I've seen that happening in Frankfurt and in Moscow they put you up at a hotel with guards on each floor. Needless to say you're not allowed to leave.
morrisunc likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
Most non-Japanese credit cards wont work at the 7-11 ATMs. In fact, only few banks in Japan accept foreign credit cards.
Quite the opposite, the Seven Bank ATM's were always the ones that DID accept foreign cards, however nowadays you can use Master/Visa as well as Maestro/Cirrus at most ATM's in Japan. It has really improved a lot and that was truly about time.
jinglish and Beltway2A like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Depends on the country but many do. I've seen that happening in Frankfurt and in Moscow they put you up at a hotel with guards on each floor. Needless to say you're not allowed to leave.
I was on the AA 125 flight that diverted to Macau in January, and there were many - I heard 100? - Vietnamese passport holders on the flight who were held airside at MFM until AA flew the MFM-HKG segment the next day. Those who didn't need visas for Macau or Hong Kong were shuttled across the bridge to HKG.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boerne
What a nightmare for your GF. Good thing you had the ability to help her. 3 lesson points reinforced for me (had learned these lessons the hard way)

doing LAX to AKL in a few days

in the US
have a Google Fi phone or T Mo
have 2 credit cards + ATM card (or 2)
Avoid checking bags
Carry water
be prepared to help yourself because your carrier may or may not.
I follow the same philosophy. I’ve been on two diverted international flights due to issues that were not the fault of the carrier (ATC computer crash over London a few years ago) and stuck spending the night in a foreign country fending for myself. Having access to a working phone and internet access solves a lot of problems of finding accommodations.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by electriclarry
This is a good lesson to plan ahead. Make sure your Skype dial out account is up to date. You will need to call your credit card/ATM company since your most likely did tell them you would not in the foreign place the plane landed and if you using your cell in a foreign land without a plan who knows what the bill will be? US toll free calls on skype are FREE where ever they originate.
This happen to me in a different way. I received an email from my CU ATM agent wanting to talk me at once. I checked the number on google and yahoo and it matched what appeared to be valid number. It was a disgrace it happen because I told the CU where i was going in Italy and charges were in Indonesia!? I spent an hour with the stupid agent on 800 number, on my cell provider it would have been $12US, on Skype zero$.
also $0 when you call collect, number for that is udually on the credit card although I have them saved on my iPhone as well
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Actually the longer trip you do, the more likely you DONT check bags - because it is much more practical to use laundry services than carry lots of clothes for the duration. When staying at reasonably good hotels, you have lots of fluffy towels that can do a lot of good for your handwashed small / light weight items. Heavy duty stuff such as jeans, send them out for cleaning or find a service nearby - very easy to do in Asian cities.

We always travel with 20 to 21" carry on bags plus a personal item (mobile device, camera, camcorder etc) even on a 45 days trip that consists pre and post 25 days cruise. The hardest part would be traveling between North and South hemisphere due to the opposite seasons. In such situation you dress with layers and make good use of woolen hats, scarves and gloves.
The key is to know what to pack and how to effectively pack it. (color coordination, light weight wool, silk, mix of natural and synthetic fibre materials, roll the clothes to minimize wrinkles and maximize space.

Our bags generally weigh 11 to 13kg max. The only time we need to check bags would be the intra-Europe flights due to most airlines with 7kg limitation and often dimension limitation.
For long haul, especially travel in J or F, there is no reason to check bag.

We always travel with both Fido and Schwab ATM cards, plus several CCs from different issuers. Extremely important to have back up cards.
eponymous_coward and SFO777 like this.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 27, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.