FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   will AA refund ticket for aircraft swap? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958100-will-aa-refund-ticket-aircraft-swap.html)

sweetsue Feb 25, 19 3:23 pm

will AA refund ticket for aircraft swap?

part of my itin. has been changed from a 737 to an express jet,,, from ord to ewr.

Will AA refund the ticket as a schedule change? I know that United will do a refund for an aircraft swap.

Thanks in advance.

MSPeconomist Feb 25, 19 3:26 pm

If there's a change of operating carrier, including from mainline to some affiliated RJ carrier such as Eagle or SkyWest, USA DOT rules mandate that a refund must be granted (to the original form of payment) upon request.

UAX_Brasilia Feb 25, 19 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsue (Post 30820888)
part of my itin. has been changed from a 737 to an express jet,,, from ord to ewr.

Will AA refund the ticket as a schedule change? I know that United will do a refund for an aircraft swap.

Thanks in advance.

I believe you have grounds for refund since the operating carrier changed, not because the operating equipment changed.

Often1 Feb 25, 19 5:01 pm

OP - Your original e-ticket receipt will show a note "operated by XXXX" if that is not AA. You can look at the flight now and it will show up with that notation if it is not AA. If there is been a change, DOT rules require AA to offer a refund. Otherwise not.

Antarius Feb 25, 19 6:41 pm

Ord-ewr is like an hour and a half. Why does a 737 vs an RJ matter?

richarddd Feb 25, 19 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30821545)
Ord-ewr is like an hour and a half. Why does a 737 vs an RJ matter?

Perhaps OP doesn't want to fly that day and hopes to get a full refund.

olouie Feb 25, 19 7:53 pm

AA offers refunds in case of equipment change in its terms. I have had to do this a few times and each time had to point it out to the reps and they had to verify with supervisors.

jbdk Feb 26, 19 10:01 am

Thanks in advance.

If it went from a 737 MAX to an E175, I would consider that an upgrade...

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 19 10:03 am

Some people don't feel comfortable on small planes.

sweetsue Mar 3, 19 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30820900)
If there's a change of operating carrier, including from mainline to some affiliated RJ carrier such as Eagle or SkyWest, USA DOT rules mandate that a refund must be granted (to the original form of payment) upon request.

thanks so much.. is there a specific rule number I can quote to the agent if they give me a hard time?

I am actually looking for a way to get the refund as I am not planning on taking the trip.

asf-07 Mar 3, 19 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsue (Post 30841828)
thanks so much.. is there a specific rule number I can quote to the agent if they give me a hard time?

I am actually looking for a way to get the refund as I am not planning on taking the trip.

I wouldn't bother with quoting a rule number to an agent. Escalate or HUACA if you run into trouble.

Dave Noble Mar 3, 19 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 30821726)
AA offers refunds in case of equipment change in its terms. I have had to do this a few times and each time had to point it out to the reps and they had to verify with supervisors.

Only in its terms for international bookings does it have that condition

dallaspopo Mar 3, 19 2:45 pm

Thanks in advance.

part of you itenary? Almost sounds hidden city ticketing.

ijgordon Mar 3, 19 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by dallaspopo (Post 30843243)
part of you itenary? Almost sounds hidden city ticketing.

:confused:
How so?
A typical domestic itinerary has between 1 and 4 segments. If any one of the segments changed equipment and operating carrier, itís eligible for a refund. Period.

enpremiere Mar 3, 19 4:27 pm

Now if you can get a refund for any segment that becomes Oasis that would be a FT thread starter.

Catbert10 Mar 3, 19 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 30843581)
Now if you can get a refund for any segment that becomes Oasis that would be a FT thread starter.

Seriously, you would be an FT legend

mvoight Mar 3, 19 9:36 pm

Thanks in advance.

AA has a published policy for change of gauge for international flights.
I have not found one for domestic changes, but I've had 2 dometic flights that changed from a 777 to a 757/737
On both flights I was in Prem Economy seating for an Economy fare, as MCE seating
I asked for a refund on one flight and a change on the other. The phone agent had no problem with either request
That said, in your case you have a change of carriers, so you should be able to get a refund, as others have stated.