FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Rumor: Etihad May drop AA and partner with UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1957901-rumor-etihad-may-drop-aa-partner-ua.html)

gateH15 Feb 24, 2019 10:19 am

Rumor: Etihad May drop AA and partner with UA

i saw this article earlier this morning and I thought I’d share it

https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-united-partnership/

If this is true I think it’s another big devaluation of AAdvantage.

hunterjumperguy Feb 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Disappointing to hear of this. Although, the source is a blog post, not an article.

gateH15 Feb 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by hunterjumperguy (Post 30817043)
Disappointing to hear of this. Although, the source is a blog post, not an article.

usually Ben is pretty reliable source when it comes to AA rumors. If it was TPG blog post I probably wouldn’t believe it until it happened 😊

JonNYC Feb 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30817147)
[left]
usually Ben is pretty reliable source when it comes to AA rumors.

That's most applicable when he's quoting me.

gateH15 Feb 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30817258)

ha that’s very true!

jmj9905 Feb 24, 2019 6:55 pm

There were a lot of rumors about QR leaving OW. So far no sign of it. YMMV

Gig103 Feb 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30817258)

Was he, this time? I don't see a "H/T" but Ben isn't always consistent in crediting others.

And when airlines change programs do existing redemptions (esp like a First Apartment) remain valid?

gateH15 Feb 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30818040)
Was he, this time? I don't see a "H/T" but Ben isn't always consistent in crediting others.

I hope he is wrong on this. It would suck if UA gets Ethiad. But if he is right it’s very bad news

Gig103 Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30818042)

I hope he is wrong on this. It would suck if UA gets Ethiad. But if he is right it’s very bad news

I Hope so too. I am done with AA for now, moving to a DL hub (SEA) but with about 180k AAdvantage miles I was hoping to fly in a First Apartment one of these days.

Isochronous Feb 25, 2019 12:27 am

UA would probably block redemptions which would mean nobody can access The Apartment at all.

JonNYC Feb 25, 2019 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30818040)

And when airlines change programs do existing redemptions (esp like a First Apartment) remain valid?

Yes, they would.

And no im definitely not in the know on this one, following along like everyone else.

millionmiler Feb 25, 2019 5:13 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905 (Post 30817618)
There were a lot of rumors about QR leaving OW. So far no sign of it. YMMV

It was more than a rumor in that there were several public statements made about the possibility. Its true that they never made or leaked a definitive statement that they had made a final decision. One possibility for that is that they have not yet made a final decision.

luv2vacay Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am

If this rumor is true, does anyone know what would happen to an existing Award ticket booked on Etihad via AA miles? (ie, something booked say, 330 or whatever days in advance)?

Assuming (dangerously-LOL) that similar situations have happened in the past with other airlines.

gottaluvNW Feb 25, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by luv2vacay (Post 30819329)
If this rumor is true, does anyone know what would happen to an existing Award ticket booked on Etihad via AA miles? (ie, something booked say, 330 or whatever days in advance)?

Assuming (dangerously-LOL) that similar situations have happened in the past with other airlines.

Your ticket will be honored.
Dont expect to be able to make any changes, post the final decision not to have Etihad as a partner.

And if there is an IRROP - assume you are stuck - the only thing that AA will do is refund your miles.
Dont expect them to find you an alternate solution, if no award availability exists on other partner carriers.

GetSetJetSet Feb 25, 2019 8:51 am

Glad I already made a booking for an apartment, hope it sticks!