Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Etihad May drop AA and partner with UA

Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

i saw this article earlier this morning and I thought I’d share it

https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-united-partnership/

If this is true I think it’s another big devaluation of AAdvantage.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Disappointing to hear of this. Although, the source is a blog post, not an article.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hunterjumperguy
Disappointing to hear of this. Although, the source is a blog post, not an article.
usually Ben is pretty reliable source when it comes to AA rumors. If it was TPG blog post I probably wouldn’t believe it until it happened 😊
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Red face

Originally Posted by gateH15
[left]
usually Ben is pretty reliable source when it comes to AA rumors.
That's most applicable when he's quoting me.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
ha that’s very true!
JonNYC and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

There were a lot of rumors about QR leaving OW. So far no sign of it. YMMV
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Was he, this time? I don't see a "H/T" but Ben isn't always consistent in crediting others.

And when airlines change programs do existing redemptions (esp like a First Apartment) remain valid?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Was he, this time? I don't see a "H/T" but Ben isn't always consistent in crediting others.
I hope he is wrong on this. It would suck if UA gets Ethiad. But if he is right it’s very bad news
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by gateH15

I hope he is wrong on this. It would suck if UA gets Ethiad. But if he is right it’s very bad news
I Hope so too. I am done with AA for now, moving to a DL hub (SEA) but with about 180k AAdvantage miles I was hoping to fly in a First Apartment one of these days.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
UA would probably block redemptions which would mean nobody can access The Apartment at all.
Unionruler and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gig103

And when airlines change programs do existing redemptions (esp like a First Apartment) remain valid?
Yes, they would.

And no im definitely not in the know on this one, following along like everyone else.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905
There were a lot of rumors about QR leaving OW. So far no sign of it. YMMV
It was more than a rumor in that there were several public statements made about the possibility. Its true that they never made or leaked a definitive statement that they had made a final decision. One possibility for that is that they have not yet made a final decision.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:10 am

If this rumor is true, does anyone know what would happen to an existing Award ticket booked on Etihad via AA miles? (ie, something booked say, 330 or whatever days in advance)?

Assuming (dangerously-LOL) that similar situations have happened in the past with other airlines.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
If this rumor is true, does anyone know what would happen to an existing Award ticket booked on Etihad via AA miles? (ie, something booked say, 330 or whatever days in advance)?

Assuming (dangerously-LOL) that similar situations have happened in the past with other airlines.
Your ticket will be honored.
Dont expect to be able to make any changes, post the final decision not to have Etihad as a partner.

And if there is an IRROP - assume you are stuck - the only thing that AA will do is refund your miles.
Dont expect them to find you an alternate solution, if no award availability exists on other partner carriers.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Glad I already made a booking for an apartment, hope it sticks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.