Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Eligible routes for earning miles on partner airlines

Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

It's not clear to me what are the exact rules for qualifying a route as "eligible" or not for earning miles on partner airlines. According to AA website:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on British Airways within Europe, and between Europe and ...
If I take this sentence literally, this would mean that flights that don't originate neither end at Europe are not eligible. So for example, a flight from South America to Asia is not an eligible route?

Does depend if the flight has a stop at the original region as normally they have? That is, as long as the individual segments are an eligible route, then the whole flight is eligible?

Most other partners have similar sentences stating eligible routes might be limited within, or between their original region. I searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer. Sorry if this was already covered.

Last edited by lostfly; Feb 24, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lostfly
It's not clear to me what are the exact rules for qualifying a route as "eligible" or not for earning miles on partner airlines. According to AA website:

If I take this sentence literally, this would mean that flights that don't originate neither end at Europe are not eligible. So for example, a flight from South America to Asia is not an eligible route?

Does depend if the flight has a stop at the original region as normally they have? That is, as long as the individual segments are an eligible route, then the whole flight is eligible?

Most other partners have similar sentences stating eligible routes might be limited within, or between their original region. I searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer. Sorry if this was already covered.
You're taking it too literally, the aa.com partner earning pages are badly worded and this comes up often. The section you're quoting is only meant as a rough guide of where each partner flies their own metal. Pretty much any/all partner flights will earn miles unless there is an "Exceptions" area on the earning page that will list specific flights which may be ineligible for AA mileage accrual.

Here's a similar thread asking the same question about QR/Canada earning...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...sa-canada.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Pretty much any/all partner flights will earn miles unless there is an "Exceptions" area on the earning page that will list specific flights which may be ineligible for AA mileage accrual.
The Qantas page seems to mean exactly what it says without any note under 'Exceptions' ...

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within the South Pacific and between the South Pacific and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South America
  • U.S.
If you fly UK to Singapore on Qantas you will not earn miles...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lostfly

You cannot get from South America to Asia on a single BA flight. You would take one BA flight from South America to LON, and a connecting flight from LON to Asia. The rule talks about flights between Europe and other continents, not tickets between Europe and other continents.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The Qantas page seems to mean exactly what it says without any note under 'Exceptions' ...

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within the South Pacific and between the South Pacific and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South America
  • U.S.
If you fly UK to Singapore on Qantas you will not earn miles...
Of course, that’s incorrect. And you can fly Qantas marketed flights flown by non-oneworld partners and earn EQ instruments. Many JL flights as well.

Theoretically, if you read aa.com, you won’t earn miles on otherwise eligible fares JFK- YVR, either. But in fact, you will.

aa.com has a lot of gaps, this is one of them.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the answers. May be this should be in the wiki
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, that’s incorrect. And you can fly Qantas marketed flights flown by non-oneworld partners and earn EQ instruments. Many JL flights as well.

Theoretically, if you read aa.com, you won’t earn miles on otherwise eligible fares JFK- YVR, either. But in fact, you will.

aa.com has a lot of gaps, this is one of them.
Except it doesn't seem to be incorrect and I was in fact denied miles on LHR-SIN flying on QF2 on an L fare ...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
We can earn miles on a QF-marketed flight or JL-marketed flight operated by an airline who is not an AA partner (either through oneworld or a one-off partnership)? Are you sure? I never thought this was the case.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
We can earn miles on a QF-marketed flight or JL-marketed flight operated by an airline who is not an AA partner (either through oneworld or a one-off partnership)? Are you sure? I never thought this was the case.
Yes.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Except it doesn't seem to be incorrect and I was in fact denied miles on LHR-SIN flying on QF2 on an L fare ...
It is 100% incorrect, you should earn miles on QF LHR-SIN just like any other QF flight. Who/why were you denied, and what did the AAdvantage Customer Service rep (not the normal reservations number) say when you questioned this?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It is 100% incorrect, you should earn miles on QF LHR-SIN just like any other QF flight. Who/why were you denied, and what did the AAdvantage Customer Service rep (not the normal reservations number) say when you questioned this?
The 'missing miles' option online rejected the flight as not valid for earning miles and when I queried it I was told that as per AA.com the flight did not qualify.

This is not the first time I have had this on LHR-SIN using Qantas.

In the end I re-qualified as EXP last year without it, but it is my experience at least that I do not earn anything on that particular flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: LH HON
I've literally had the same question a couple of weeks ago (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30651821).

Flew QF1 in J and my first request has also been denied. CK rep is dealing with this now.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
I've literally had the same question a couple of weeks ago (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30651821).

Flew QF1 in J and my first request has also been denied. CK rep is dealing with this now.
Glad it is not just me experiencing this, but equally sorry to hear you have suffered as well.

I'd hope the CK rep can get it sorted for you though.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes.
To make sure I understand, here's an example: QF is a partner with LY (El Al). If QF markets a flight operated by LY (who is not an AA partner), the flight is eligible for AA miles, based on what I read here. I've never known this to be the case, so that's certainly interesting if so.

Different airlines, but I mention this as an example: When I flew KL-marketed/OU-operated SPU-ZAG flight and then KL-marketed/operated ZAG-AMS flight, I could not earn DL miles on the OU SPU-ZAG leg. KL is a partner with OU while DL is not. (I ended up crediting the OU flight to UA after the fact.)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All,

Forgive what might be a silly asked and answered, but does an AY marketed JetStar Asia operated flight from BKK to SIN accrue miles (it is part of YYZ-SIN coded as AY flights). I thought that it has to be marketed and operated by One World carrier or One World Affiliate to earn AA miles.

Safe Travels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.