Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought about AA miles redepositing (re: Etihad Appt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Firstly, thank you for taking time out to read this -- I do appreciate it.

Would someone be able to reassure me -- or not, as the case may be -- about AA miles being re-deposited into an account and the time it might take to see this re-deposit?

Basically, I find myself in the following situation:

• I have the following flight booked: AUH - LHR in J on Etihad • cost: 42,500 AA miles
• As of today, I also have held for 4 days until Thursday 28th (midnight): AUH - LHR in The Apartment • cost: 62,500 AA miles
• I'm waiting for 60,000 Marriott points (25,000 AA miles) to arrive into my AA account, hopefully tomorrow or Monday.
• I will still need most of the 42,500 AA miles back from my current J flight above -- which, ideally, I will cancel -- to put towards the "held" seat in The Apartment

I just wanted to ask whether I should be worried about this situation, mainly in respect of there being issues -- time ones -- in terms of AA re-depositing these 42.500 miles back into my AA account when cancelling my current J flight on EY? I want to be able to put these miles toward the F (The Apartment) flight I currently have held, as mentioned. I just didn't know whether any other FTers had found themselves in a similar position and, if so, what their experiences might have been?

All the best
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
While my experience was with re-depositing AA miles was using AA metal, it should be the same for you. During the phone call to AA to re-deposit the miles the AA agent extended my hold time to 7 days for the flights I was changing to, just in case there was a delay. IIRC the miles were back in my account in 48 hours. Best advice is to call AA ASAP to cancel your current flight.

You may need the extra time because Marriott might have a delay. They've been having some IT issues
Scoob72 likes this.

Last edited by hipquest; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: Marriott issue
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Scoob72
Firstly, thank you for taking time out to read this -- I do appreciate it.

Would someone be able to reassure me -- or not, as the case may be -- about AA miles being re-deposited into an account and the time it might take to see this re-deposit?

Basically, I find myself in the following situation:

• I have the following flight booked: AUH - LHR in J on Etihad • cost: 42,500 AA miles
• As of today, I also have held for 4 days until Thursday 28th (midnight): AUH - LHR in The Apartment • cost: 62,500 AA miles
• I'm waiting for 60,000 Marriott points (25,000 AA miles) to arrive into my AA account, hopefully tomorrow or Monday.
• I will still need most of the 42,500 AA miles back from my current J flight above -- which, ideally, I will cancel -- to put towards the "held" seat in The Apartment

I just wanted to ask whether I should be worried about this situation, mainly in respect of there being issues -- time ones -- in terms of AA re-depositing these 42.500 miles back into my AA account when cancelling my current J flight on EY? I want to be able to put these miles toward the F (The Apartment) flight I currently have held, as mentioned. I just didn't know whether any other FTers had found themselves in a similar position and, if so, what their experiences might have been?

All the best
If you are simply changing the class of service from J to F, you would not have to redeposit any miles: AA would simply charge you the additional mileage needed.

The (possible) complicating factor here is that you already have the F award on a hold. Whether that changes how AA will proceed on the change from J to F is something I do not know. It's also possible that AA will cancel the hold on the F award before February 28, since you cannot fly in both J and F on the same flight.
Scoob72 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you are simply changing the class of service from J to F, you would not have to redeposit any miles: AA would simply charge you the additional mileage needed.

The (possible) complicating factor here is that you already have the F award on a hold. Whether that changes how AA will proceed on the change from J to F is something I do not know. It's also possible that AA will cancel the hold on the F award before February 28, since you cannot fly in both J and F on the same flight.
Hipquest / guv1976 -- many thanks both for the quick responses and for the advice/insight.

guv1976 -- the F flight which I have on hold is actually a separate flight to the J seat flight that I currently have ticketed. As such, is there less risk of AA cancelling the held (F) seat?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Scoob72
Hipquest / guv1976 -- many thanks both for the quick responses and for the advice/insight.

guv1976 -- the F flight which I have on hold is actually a separate flight to the J seat flight that I currently have ticketed. As such, is there less risk of AA cancelling the held (F) seat?
Yeah, you should be fine re: risk of cancellation.

In my experience with cancelling & redepositing, the miles are back in the account within minutes, hours at most. But usually minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.