Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on one’s own meal, question.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Carry on one’s own meal, question.

I’ve often taken my own meals aboard flights. These I specifically prepare and pack for particular flights. It’s more entertainment then an actual necessity, but it does make the journey a bit more predictable and tasty. Typically, I create a cold meal, such as a chef salad. However, I have also made some dishes such as lasagne, stews, and the like that would be great if warmed up. Would it be crossing the line to ask a flight attendant to warm the meal for me? Would that be permitted? Or, is it just foolish to consider this as a possibility?

Thank you for your replies.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I believe it's against policy. You may find a random flight attendant to do so, but I wouldn't want to put them in that position if whatever your food is wrapped in should catch fire, melt, etc. when put into one of the ovens.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks. You’re right. It would probably cause too much disruption, even though I’m extremely careful about how I prepare and pack these. Just an idea to make my flights a little better.

I made a couple of these one time and shared them with my seat mates. That was fun and much appreciated. And much cheaper and healthier than many airport food options, but the airport food options have been improving lately.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
As a fellow flyer my only request, nothing pungent please
MathMusic, rkaradi, AAway and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Definitely nothing that creates an aroma. Also, you should consider anything you bring in that has sauces or anything liquid can always be confiscated by TSA.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While there are FA's who have done this, it is a violation of AA's health & safety rules (and this a FAA violation) for a FA to comingle food. Once your food goes into the warming oven, nothing else can go there until the oven has been cleaned to spec (which does not happen on every flight).

Even if it were possible, aircraft ovens are not standard ovens and food is generally packaged in specific containers to which you do not likely have access and catering recipes contain more liquid than those served on the ground due to evaporation.

To be frank, I would be just as happy if AA focused on improved cold meals and ditched hot meals on domestic flights altogether.
TSparky, nancypants and chitink like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:00 am

I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you honestly think it's a good or reasonable idea to bring stew onto a plane and then ask the FA to heat it up for you? Let them focus on the things they are there to do and stick to reheating your stew in an office breakroom microwave.

And as others have said, the ovens on a plane are very specialized, and generally are fully of custom food trays, so your tupperware wouldn't likely fit in them anyway.
Often1, SJOGuy, chitink and 4 others like this.

Last edited by dave_261; Feb 23, 2019 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I hope your stew has under 3.5 oz of liquid!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1

To be frank, I would be just as happy if AA focused on improved cold meals and ditched hot meals on domestic flights altogether.
On the one hand, I agree, as I feel like cold meals would be easier to improve (I've gotten a well-cooked steak maybe twice?), but I just really really hate cold foods.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Even flying in F or J on the cold meal only flights I bring something to eat. I wish AA realized that not everyone in the world that eats meat, eats chicken or turkey, lol.

A wide mouth thermos, meant for soups and stews can be your friend. TSA might want to inspect your thermos but my carbonara made it through fine. Just a thought.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:06 pm

Excited to see a thread in the coming weeks entitled "Passenger on my flight asked FA to put their tupperware of soup in the oven"
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Does it really cost the airline that much money to have a decent BOB program with a variety of cold sandwiches/salads/wraps? I miss Virgin America because they had awesome cold BOB products and didn't run out of them after one row got them.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Does it really cost the airline that much money to have a decent BOB program with a variety of cold sandwiches/salads/wraps? I miss Virgin America because they had awesome cold BOB products and didn't run out of them after one row got them.
No. BOB is a revenue-generator on most carriers including AA. Especially true now that you can special order BOB on longer flights and then not have to fret that they will run out after the first 2 rows.

The broader issue is not so much BOB but the fact that catering options at many airports are vastly better than in the past. BOB can't compete with the variety and quality at many airports, so no matter what a carrier offers, whether for purchase or included, people still won't partake.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Threads like this really make me miss SE Asia. AirAsia serves a mean chicken curry or tasty padthai for $4 tops. Can preorder too!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
American is clearly investing in bob with their partnership with Zoe’s kitchen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.