Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on one’s own meal, question.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Threads like this really make me miss SE Asia. AirAsia serves a mean chicken curry or tasty padthai for $4 tops. Can preorder too!
Im sure US airlines would be happy to sell such things on domestic flights at that price...if they could source them at a cost that made it viable and profitable… are YOU going to be the supplier?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Flight44
I’ve often taken my own meals aboard flights. These I specifically prepare and pack for particular flights. It’s more entertainment then an actual necessity, but it does make the journey a bit more predictable and tasty. Typically, I create a cold meal, such as a chef salad. However, I have also made some dishes such as lasagne, stews, and the like that would be great if warmed up. Would it be crossing the line to ask a flight attendant to warm the meal for me? Would that be permitted? Or, is it just foolish to consider this as a possibility?

Thank you for your replies.
You've emboldened me to ask the FA to flambe my Baked Alaska on my next flight.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Im sure US airlines would be happy to sell such things on domestic flights at that price...if they could source them at a cost that made it viable and profitable… are YOU going to be the supplier?
Do YOU always take yourself this seriously? My goodness that must be exhausting.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Does it really cost the airline that much money to have a decent BOB program with a variety of cold sandwiches/salads/wraps? I miss Virgin America because they had awesome cold BOB products and didn't run out of them after one row got them.
most European airlines have BOB even on short flights like LHR-AMS. It sucks when you have a tight connection and let’s say flying DFW-ORD as a last leg and you can’t buy a sandwich even tho it’s hub to hub flight! im
curious how European airlines can make it work.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flight44
I’ve often taken my own meals aboard flights. These I specifically prepare and pack for particular flights. It’s more entertainment then an actual necessity, but it does make the journey a bit more predictable and tasty. Typically, I create a cold meal, such as a chef salad. However, I have also made some dishes such as lasagne, stews, and the like that would be great if warmed up. Would it be crossing the line to ask a flight attendant to warm the meal for me? Would that be permitted? Or, is it just foolish to consider this as a possibility?

Thank you for your replies.
What you might want to look into is whether there is any way to warm it up at the airport before you board. Then it would equivalent to carrying on a hot meal you buy at the airport.

Also, look into ways of wrapping the food container for the maximum time to maintain heat, after heating (ie, it's wrapping which would be kept separate through security and only wrapped after the food was heated at the airport).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What you might want to look into is whether there is any way to warm it up at the airport before you board. Then it would equivalent to carrying on a hot meal you buy at the airport.

Also, look into ways of wrapping the food container for the maximum time to maintain heat, after heating (ie, it's wrapping which would be kept separate through security and only wrapped after the food was heated at the airport).
I was going to suggest perhaps finding a microwave in a lounge prior to the flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
haven't the ovens been removed from the coach galleys ? I can't imagine an FA offering the F galley oven for this purpose.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gateH15

most European airlines have BOB even on short flights like LHR-AMS. It sucks when you have a tight connection and let’s say flying DFW-ORD as a last leg and you can’t buy a sandwich even tho it’s hub to hub flight! im
curious how European airlines can make it work.
Although there is constant whining about the cart not being able to make it more than 1/2-way through the cabin on micro-haul routes such as this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
haven't the ovens been removed from the coach galleys ? I can't imagine an FA offering the F galley oven for this purpose.
Especially if you're not seated there.

BUT:

How about the OP learning how to make good dried (for "reconstituting" purposes) food, and then asking for hot water on the plane? They offer hot water for tea, etc, in coach, don't they?

I like Dr McDougall's and Spice Hunter dried soups better than most canned soups, and they work with hot water (from the water "cooler" at work) just fine, despite claiming you need "boiling" water in the instructions. And since they come with zero liquid, they (or something equivalent homemade) should be zero problem bringing onto a plane (other than any space issues).

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 25, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:25 pm

Sorry it’s not allowed since it’s not possible to determine if the food and/or containers are oven safe.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Try your luck with one of these? Worked great for the MREs served

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flameless_ration_heater

EDIT. Do not actually try. they are banned by the FAA
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Lasagne tastes very good at room temperature in my opinion. Plenty of good options for food that doesn’t need to be heated. I like to carry a sandwich onboard for long flights in the event that the food offerings are really bad, which happens often on AA TransCons, especially the evening meal flights.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've seen FAs warm baby bottles. I've had FAs taunt me they were going to take my Chicago stuffed pizza and reheat it - and claim they could work miracles. The OP could wait until he gets his rental car and try some tricks in the now-30-year classic Manifold Destiny.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch

How would you heat food in an airport? Most restrooms don't have really hot water, although I guess lounges have water for tea but would certainly frown on someone cooking outside food there. I can't think of any airports where I've seen microwaves (or ovens, stovetops, toasters, grills, etc.) for public use. Maybe the old college method of using aluminum foil and an iron, so that you just need an outlet? Most other cooking equipment would be too large to bring through security.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
As a fellow flyer my only request, nothing pungent please
... and no McDonlands, please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.