Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

J fare basis but economy seat - instant upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat

Hi all,
I am flying MEX-MIA-SJU on AA, for business, on a ticket booked by the corporate travel agency. The business class cabin was completely sold out for MEX-MIA so my ticket shows economy, however the trip was booked on a JXXXXX fare basis. The MIA-SJU segment is on business class.

If a seat opens up in the business cabin, will I automatically upgrade? If not, can AA call center and/or the travel agency do it? (Travel agency will be closed the day of the flight as I'm flying Sunday).

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by asar
Hi all,
I am flying MEX-MIA-SJU on AA, for business, on a ticket booked by the corporate travel agency. The business class cabin was completely sold out for MEX-MIA so my ticket shows economy, however the trip was booked on a JXXXXX fare basis. The MIA-SJU segment is on business class.

If a seat opens up in the business cabin, will I automatically upgrade? If not, can AA call center and/or the travel agency do it? (Travel agency will be closed the day of the flight as I'm flying Sunday).

Thanks!
I don't think you will automatically upgrade. Before 24 hours call the agency, otherwise AA. Not sure if it will work, but it definitely won't be automatic.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
This is a huge flaw of AAs systems. Not only will you not be upgraded automatocally, if the agent putting you on the “upgrade” list doesn’t code this correctly, you will be competing with comp upgrades from CK and EXPs. If coded properly you should pop up to #1 on thr “upgrade” list. There is another thread that sets out how to tell the agent to code it correctly.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I think there is a waitlist for full-fare buckets (F, J, Y). So you could probably ask your TA to put you on the waitlist for J, and it should clear before anything else.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I take a different view. One accepts to fly in Y, whether it should be in J or not, one must pay the change fee (full fare J has no change fee).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pbd456
I take a different view. One accepts to fly in Y, whether it should be in J or not, one must pay the change fee (full fare J has no change fee).
Even if it was originally an economy ticket, AA has a policy to not charge a change fee when upgrading from an economy fare to a business or 1st frea

In this case, if booked in business class, should the required booking class become available, there is no issue in phoning and rebooking.

Nothing will happen automatically unless it is a fare that allows waitlisting and a waitlist request has been submitted
Often1, enpremiere and ijgordon like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:22 pm

And that is not even remotely how AA or most other airlines see this.

To OP, i have had this happen before and you need to look for the thread that gives the special code that needs to be entered on the DoD upgrade list. I was on very expensive full J ticket and the first agent coded my “upgrade” request incorrectly and i sat in economy for the first domestic segment while someone else got a complementary upgrade to the one seat that opened. Make sure you are coded as DSR. Thr agent will know what this means.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by stephem

And that is not even remotely how AA or most other airlines see this.

To OP, i have had this happen before and you need to look for the thread that gives the special code that needs to be entered on the DoD upgrade list. I was on very expensive full J ticket and the first agent coded my “upgrade” request incorrectly and i sat in economy for the first domestic segment while someone else got a complementary upgrade to the one seat that opened. Make sure you are coded as DSR. Thr agent will know what this means.
how about instant upgrade fare with economy class basis but the required booking class in first is zero?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:51 pm

how about instant upgrade fare with economy class basis but the required booking class in first is zero?
With a voluntary downgrader, there is no issue getting rebooked into the paid for cabin if availability in the required booking class opens

Other airlines may have different policies, but AA has a policy on upgrading to a higher class of travel not to charge a charge fee
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With a voluntary downgrader, there is no issue getting rebooked into the paid for cabin if availability in the required booking class opens

Other airlines may have different policies, but AA has a policy on upgrading to a higher class of travel not to charge a charge fee
if it is an I fare, but I fare never opens up? and only J bucket open up?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

if it is an I fare, but I fare never opens up? and only J bucket open up?
If it is an I fare, then it doesn't matter if J or D open up, since it is I that is needed
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is an I fare, then it doesn't matter if J or D open up, since it is I that is needed
But that is not true on DoD and hence why i said the coding on the upgrade list is critical. While I class may never open up, neither does R and yet people magically get elite upgrades at the gate. The reality is that revenue management stops fiddling with the fare buckets and the gate agent clears people into the front cabin based on priority, not whether there is I or R availability showing. The average flight is sitting st the gate with only J bucket showing greater than zero, if anything. The GA can put people in those remaining seats regardless of booking class, either because they have exp status or are pulling 500 milers or in the case of someone who was entitled to a higher cabin at booking, someone properly coded on the upgrade list (who would clear before the “free” upgraders).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Would be helpful to know the precise fare basis code Jxxxxxx doenst track with being an 'instant upgrade' fare.
n
Huh? Kind of a nutty fantasy of how you think seats, fares and inventory works?

I have 'accepted' Y inventory when booking a J or F are, but ON THE BASIS that it was a full J or F ticket and if inventory opned I would get it before an upgrade.... I am buying a J fare, but just so happens I am not seated in J. If a seat opens NOTHING IS BEING 'CHANGED' on my ticket, so why pay a change fee?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Would be helpful to know the precise fare basis code Jxxxxxx doenst track with being an 'instant upgrade' fare.
n

Huh? Kind of a nutty fantasy of how you think seats, fares and inventory works?

I have 'accepted' Y inventory when booking a J or F are, but ON THE BASIS that it was a full J or F ticket and if inventory opned I would get it before an upgrade.... I am buying a J fare, but just so happens I am not seated in J. If a seat opens NOTHING IS BEING 'CHANGED' on my ticket, so why pay a change fee?
if there is 1 seat open up and multiple people have a J ticket paying J price. who is going to get the seat? if you dont get the seat, how do u know the others are upgrade and not only another J fare?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:21 pm

if there is 1 seat open up and multiple people have a J ticket paying J price. who is going to get the seat? if you dont get the seat, how do u know the others are upgrade and not only another J fare?
either (a) 1st person on the waitlist , if there is a waitlist or (b) 1st person to request the seat and get rebooked

No different to buying or changing any other ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.