Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

J fare basis but economy seat - instant upgrade?

J fare basis but economy seat - instant upgrade?

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Again, twighlight zone with people that dont know how airline tickets work....

Lets say you are flying A to B to C

You 'book' a fare that is A to C, in J. (Assumptively the fare rules allow connection in B)

Lets further stipulate that AB has no J availability, so you are in Y for A-B, but in J for B-C... (NOT A 'voluntary downgrade', just not seated in the cabin you have purchased.)

DO YOU THINK that A-B is booked in some 'y fare basis' and B-C is then in a J fare basis???????? Such that when inventory opens in A-B, you have to re-book the whole ticket??????

Lets start with the basics here, shall we?
i am not sure what you are talking about. you are saying that the eticket is in J sector, but is not confirmed? confirmed in J but no seat assigned?
if there is no space in J so, it must be confirmed in Y class. so it is a voluntary downgrade (one accepts the reservation).

for example i have an eticket like this

AONE5 fare.
SEZ LHR A
LHR HND A
HND HKG A
HKG SIN D
SIN NRT D
NRT HKG D
HKG JFK A
JFK GRU A
GRU BOG J
BOG SCL J
SCL IPC J
IPC SCL J
SCL LHR A
LHR DXB A
DXB LHR A
LHR NBO A

The fare basis is A class, yet i am on D on some sectors J on some sectors.

If there is A class on some flight, I can make a change and pay the fee (if applicable). it requires a reissued. just because the fare basis is A class does not mean that I can fly first class.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Oh my
Djokison and ORDAAFlyer296 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by pbd456
i am not sure what you are talking about. you are saying that the eticket is in J sector, but is not confirmed? confirmed in J but no seat assigned?
if there is no space in J so, it must be confirmed in Y class. so it is a voluntary downgrade (one accepts the reservation).

for example i have an eticket like this

AONE5 fare.
SEZ LHR A
LHR HND A
HND HKG A
HKG SIN D
SIN NRT D
NRT HKG D
HKG JFK A
JFK GRU A
GRU BOG J
BOG SCL J
SCL IPC J
IPC SCL J
SCL LHR A
LHR DXB A
DXB LHR A
LHR NBO A

The fare basis is A class, yet i am on D on some sectors J on some sectors.

If there is A class on some flight, I can make a change and pay the fee (if applicable). it requires a reissued. just because the fare basis is A class does not mean that I can fly first class.
All of these sectors are issued on a single ticket?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
All of these sectors are issued on a single ticket?
yes. one fare basis. AONE5
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:04 pm

Also, just because the fare basis is J does not necessary mean all sectors can be booked in Y.

There was one example on a Y fare TPE USA on JL. the booking class table says that it is not booked into Y class on AC.
it is certainly possible that J fare on AA only allows I class on CX/KA. it is impossible to generalize, and one has to go back to the fare rule to see what is possible and what is not possible.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:54 pm

could be a way to get extra “I” inventory confirmed beyond the limited married-segment inventory???

example:

LAX-MIA 772 I7
for ~$900

and

LAX-MIA 772 I0 Y7
MIA-SJU 76W I7
for ~$400

ticket seg1 is Y, seg 2 in I for ~$400
call the next day, say AA just released new I7 inventory for seg1, ask to be rebooked into I that’s already paid for & revalidate.
cancel within 24 hours if it doesn’t work

not quite sure how to ticket seg1 Y, seg2 I - it seems Plat AMEXTravel.com when searching business (not first) will do it, but would then have to deal with AMEX the next day rather than AA directly
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I take a different view. One accepts to fly in Y, whether it should be in J or not, one must pay the change fee (full fare J has no change fee).
What bizarre nonsense.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i

As long as there is no rerouting involved, there is no change fee on an One World Explorer fare for that
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Colin
could be a way to get extra “I” inventory confirmed beyond the limited married-segment inventory???

example:

LAX-MIA 772 I7
for ~$900

and

LAX-MIA 772 I0 Y7
MIA-SJU 76W I7
for ~$400

ticket seg1 is Y, seg 2 in I for ~$400
call the next day, say AA just released new I7 inventory for seg1, ask to be rebooked into I that’s already paid for & revalidate.
cancel within 24 hours if it doesn’t work

not quite sure how to ticket seg1 Y, seg2 I - it seems Plat AMEXTravel.com when searching business (not first) will do it, but would then have to deal with AMEX the next day rather than AA directly
AA is unlikely to do this, and Amex (or any travel agent) will definitely not, unless they want AA to send them a debit memo. You cannot cancel and/or rebook one segment that is part of a married connection (if additional I class inventory is released on the married connection at some point, different story).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:33 am

that's just regurgitating the way it's suppose to work, which of course everyone knows.

the interesting topic is whether there's a hack to shake loose an extra "I" seat
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Colin
that's just regurgitating the way it's suppose to work, which of course everyone knows.

the interesting topic is whether there's a hack to shake loose an extra "I" seat
My experience has been that this doesnt work. When i called in to try to avail myself to the I bucket availability on the single segment, I was told they cannot see it because they are looking at the segment married with the other one(s) where I was already in I.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem

Make sure you are coded as DSR. Thr agent will know what this means.
Unfortunately thats not always the case, IME.
I believe some former US gate agents may look at you like you have 2 heads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.