Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA called me because they were holding my flight..anyone else?

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Okay, last night 2/21, I'm flying RDU > ORD > STL, it's a one way ticket. It's the 10:20pm flight to St Louis, so last flight of the night. I hit the ground and get an email from my customer canceling the next day's visit. This is no big deal since ORD is basically my base as I live in Wisconsin, so I go to my car and drive home. I walk through the door at 10:15 or so. At 10:30 (10 minutes after push back time) I get a call from AA gate agent., "Mr *****, we just wanted to check if you're still going to make your St Louis flight, we're holding the plane for you". I thanked her and told her briefly what happened and she simply said okay, have a wonderful night. In decades of flying I've never had that happen. I was floored. Anyone else?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
Okay, last night 2/21, I'm flying RDU > ORD > STL, it's a one way ticket. It's the 10:20pm flight to St Louis, so last flight of the night. I hit the ground and get an email from my customer canceling the next day's visit. This is no big deal since ORD is basically my base as I live in Wisconsin, so I go to my car and drive home. I walk through the door at 10:15 or so. At 10:30 (10 minutes after push back time) I get a call from AA gate agent., "Mr *****, we just wanted to check if you're still going to make your St Louis flight, we're holding the plane for you". I thanked her and told her briefly what happened and she simply said okay, have a wonderful night. In decades of flying I've never had that happen. I was floored. Anyone else?
Are you CK?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

No I'm not. Lowly EP. Unless no one told me I'm a CK. But my spend is only $24-25k a year.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Not exactly, but once I left my very first iPad in the seat pocket when arriving in New Orleans (in F). I was outside waiting for my ride when I got the call: “Mr. xxx, you left your iPad on the plane, would you like to meet us at security to hand it back to you?”

I haven’t had a true complaint about AA customer service since.

(Side note, I also live in SE WI and use ORD as my primary departure.)
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:40 am

I've had that happen to me once in BOS, almost missed my flight due to the bus connecting international arrivals to the AA terminal breaking down. It was very nice of them - wish all AA employees were that proactive!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Good thing you weren't flying United, they might have threatened legal action claiming you were doing hidden city ticketing. Glad to hear they provided you with great customer service, you don't hear many stories about going for great on here!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I had that happen a few years ago in DFW when my wife and I (intentionally) missed a connecting flight to EWR.

We were on a mileage run and decided to cut it short and just go home.

Gate agent called and we told him we were not going to take the flight.

I was really impressed. Both of us EXP at the time.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I tend to board late, so I have received a number of calls from GAs over the years asking me whether I'm going to make my flight (usually I'm walking and almost at the gate or, rarely, still in the club), but what's different about OP's situation is that they were literally holding the flight. I haven't had that happen since the "glory days" of EXP. It may have even been my first year as EXP... my SAN-DFW flight arrived late, and there was a golf cart waiting to take me and two other passengers to the DFW-STL gate. Once they confirmed I had arrived, they closed the flight. That doesn't seem to happen much anymore, even for CKs, based on reports here.

As an aside, I used to take that last ORD-STL flight of the night all the time. It's often the last AA departure out of ORD in the evening, so it's particularly impressive that they held the flight rather than just calling it a night and heading home.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've been paged at the airport when they wanted me to catch an earlier flight, but no, they've never called.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had Frontier(!) do this for me this summer. I booked one of their garbage fare weekend getaways, ~$40 roundtrip. The weather at destination was not going to be accommodating for my plans so I abandoned it. Even never checking in I got a call from the airport asking if I was going to be traveling.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
They hold my flight in 15 minute increments when things go belly up but I must be a terrible date as they never call
AANYC1981 and jcatman like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No I'm not. Lowly EP. Unless no one told me I'm a CK. But my spend is only $24-25k a year.
Buy scratchers, lottery tickets. Or you have a propitiously high Helix “Eagles” rating. Have you had several poor experiences / OSO / IROPS that might put you at risk of running to another airline?
GWFan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
It happened to me once. About 5 minutes before departure:

GA: Mr. coolcoil, your flight to XXX will be leaving shortly.
Me: I'm glad to hear that.
GA: Are you planning to fly with us today?
Me: I am. Why do you ask?
GA: Where are you now?
Me: I'm sitting in seat 8C waiting to go.
GA: You're on the plane?
Me: Yep.
GA: OK, thank you very much. (then in the background saying to somebody else: He's on the plane. I don't know how that happened.)

Of course I then double-checked with an FA to make sure I was on the right plane. I guess the scan didn't take. I expected somebody to show up to look at my BP, but nobody did. Of course, they may have just asked the FA.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've had the gate call me once in the last 2 years when I decided not to take my flight, can't remember the airport, wonder if certain airports are more likely to do it.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by coolcoil
It happened to me once. About 5 minutes before departure:

GA: Mr. coolcoil, your flight to XXX will be leaving shortly.
Me: I'm glad to hear that.
GA: Are you planning to fly with us today?
Me: I am. Why do you ask?
GA: Where are you now?
Me: I'm sitting in seat 8C waiting to go.
GA: You're on the plane?
Me: Yep.
GA: OK, thank you very much. (then in the background saying to somebody else: He's on the plane. I don't know how that happened.)

Of course I then double-checked with an FA to make sure I was on the right plane. I guess the scan didn't take. I expected somebody to show up to look at my BP, but nobody did. Of course, they may have just asked the FA.
Hopefully this was followed up with a call to ensure that your EQDs/EQMs/EQs and whatever other EQness you needed posted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.