Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

upgrade AA marketed & operated flight on BA ticket stock?

Old Feb 21, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Is there a way to upgrade an AA flight that is booked on BA ticket stock from Business to 1st class? I tried with Avios and they are telling me that it has to be available in Z class for them to upgrade an AA flight though AA upgrade fare code is A. I called AA to use miles or systemwide and they are saying that it has to be booked in AA ticket stock to upgrade. Any ideas?
Old Feb 21, 19, 5:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AA marketed or BA marketed? Operated by AA, right?

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

BA marketed but AA prime flight.
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nats99 View Post

BA marketed = BA flight number
Flight operated by AA (and so will have a AA flight number)?
Do you want to upgrade with BA avios or AA ff miles?
Ticket stock (001 or 125 ticket number) may be confusing the issue [jargon]
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

It is BA ticket stock - 125. But the flight from JFK to LAX is AA flight with an AA flight #. I have both AA miles, and BA Avios. Also have systemwide, Business Extra upgrades! Non seem to work.
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
It is BA ticket stock - 125. But the flight from JFK to LAX is AA flight with an AA flight #. I have both AA miles, and BA Avios. Also have systemwide, Business Extra upgrades! Non seem to work.
You should be able to do it at the airport. Have the agent do a "grab and go" to process the upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 3 you stated BA marketed
Have you purchased a flight with a BA or AA flight number?

Me thinks you will be flying in the seat/class you purchased.
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If it is an AA marketed flight (sold to you under AA flight number) then you can upgrade with Avios (from J, C, and D classes only) if there is A class inventory on that flight. You were given wrong advice as to the Z class availability (call again until you've spoken to someone who knows what they're doing).
If it is a BA marketed flight (sold to you under BA flight number) then you won't be able to upgrade with Avios regardless of availability as codeshares are ineligible.
Using AA miles is likely to be impossible as, apart from IRROPS on the day, AA won't touch another airline's ticket (although some here claim that AA did process an upgrade on another airline's stock for them).

Last edited by Andriyko; Feb 22, 19 at 6:40 am
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You might have a decent shot of doing a day of departure load factor based upgrade, and paying less to boot. In my experience, theres not as much competition to go from business to first as there is to go for economy to business.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
If it is an AA marketed flight (sold to you under AA flight number) then you can upgrade with Avios (from J, C, and D classes only) if there is A class inventory on that flight. You were given wrong advice as to the Z class availability (call again until you've spoken to someone who knows what they're doing).
If it is a BA marketed flight (sold to you under BA flight number) then you won't be able to upgrade with Avios regardless of availability as codeshares are ineligible.
Using AA miles is likely to be impossible as, apart from IRROPS on the day, AA won't touch another airline's ticket (although some here claim that AA did process an upgrade on another airline's stock for them).
i tried 3 different BA agents. They all say that you have to have Z to be able to upgrade. I calle AA too and they told me that they cant touch a BA ticket.
i guess we have to try day of departure. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

i tried 3 different BA agents. They all say that you have to have Z to be able to upgrade.
If it is an AA-coded flight and not I booking class then call again and invite them to check the rules for upgrades on AA.
Old Feb 4, 22, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC
I thought I'd resurrect this one rather than start a new thread as it seems to be the closest thing to my situation. I've got this messy TP run later this year and I'd like to upgrade the LHR-JFK leg to try AA F before it disappears! It's on BA stock (125) and has a mix of 1.) BA flight no & BA metal, 2.) BA flight no & AA metal, and 3.) AA flight no on AA metal. No way to use avios, so I'm happy to pay some cash. As shown, the relevant flight is AB flight no and AA metal. Just wondering how and when to attack this? I guess i won't ever get offered a POUG on such an itinerary even on the AB/BA leg (unless someone knows otherwise?) Should I call now? Day before? Do I call AA or BA? Or just try my luck at the airport? And since I'm originating in SOF, shall I ask the BA agent at check in? Or shall I try at transfer desk or lounge at T5? Is there even an AA transfer desk in T5? Alternatively, I'm flying LHR-SOF the day before, so could always swing by AA desk at T3 if that might help.

In case it matters, the paid ticket is fare class I and I'm BA Gold.

Any guudance appeciated. If it simply doesn't work, I'll just have to suck it up and survive in J!!
Old Feb 4, 22, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Prsidentielle
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
Just wondering how and when to attack this? I guess i won't ever get offered a POUG on such an itinerary even on the AB/BA leg (unless someone knows otherwise?) Should I call now? Day before? Do I call AA or BA? Or just try my luck at the airport?
Your only option is to pay for an upgrade on the day of travel, as an airport upgrade, if one were to be available. You won't get anything extra out of it with BAEC. The stage of your trip, for when one would inquire about a paid upgrade, would be the AA check-in or transfer desk at LHR T5 (or T3, in case JFK is back at T3 by then). The gate would be your other option.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
I thought I'd resurrect this one rather than start a new thread as it seems to be the closest thing to my situation. I've got this messy TP run later this year and I'd like to upgrade the LHR-JFK leg to try AA F before it disappears! It's on BA stock (125) and has a mix of 1.) BA flight no & BA metal, 2.) BA flight no & AA metal, and 3.) AA flight no on AA metal. No way to use avios, so I'm happy to pay some cash. As shown, the relevant flight is AB flight no and AA metal. Just wondering how and when to attack this? I guess i won't ever get offered a POUG on such an itinerary even on the AB/BA leg (unless someone knows otherwise?) Should I call now? Day before? Do I call AA or BA? Or just try my luck at the airport? And since I'm originating in SOF, shall I ask the BA agent at check in? Or shall I try at transfer desk or lounge at T5? Is there even an AA transfer desk in T5? Alternatively, I'm flying LHR-SOF the day before, so could always swing by AA desk at T3 if that might help.

Any guudance appeciated. If it simply doesn't work, I'll just have to suck it up and survive in J!!
That's one hell of a TP run! Curious what your total fare was?
RichieMc likes this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP, BA Silver

You can't upgrade codeshare flights - its a simple as that!

If it is a BA ticket and you want to use Avios to upgrade then you need BA to sell you the flight on AA flight number and it needs to be Y, J, C or D (not I or R) I believe (Y would get you an upgrade to Business and J, C and D to First, of course).

Search this Thread