Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HND / Haneda slots: AA prelim gets DFW, LAX routes Summer 2020 (update)

HND / Haneda slots: AA prelim gets DFW, LAX routes Summer 2020 (update)

Old May 16, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone know if the second LAX-HND flight takes the place of LAX-NRT or is it actually a third LAX-TYO flight on a daily basis?
Old May 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Link to View from the Wing article by Gary Leff

US Government Awards 12 New Tokyo Haneda Flights to United, Delta, American and Hawaiian
by Gary Leff on May 16, 2019

Based on a new agreement between the US and Japan, the US Department of Transportation gets to allocate 12 day time slot pairs for service between the US and Tokyo’s close-in Haneda airport starting with the 2020 summer travel season.

Currently US airlines have just 5 slot pairs so this is a huge increase. Today American has LAX, Delta has LAX and Minneapolis, United has San Francisco and Hawaiian has Honolulu.

The DOT has issued its preliminary ruling, and here’s what they’ve granted:
  • American Airlines: Dallas/Fort Worth; Los Angeles
  • Delta Air Lines: Seattle; Detroit; Atlanta; Portland, Ore.; Honolulu
  • Hawaiian Airlines: Honolulu
  • United Airlines: Newark, N.J.; Chicago O’Hare; Washington-Dulles; Los Angeles
None of these awards are final — yet. Airlines get to object to the DOT’s plan by May 30. Then they get to respond to each other by June 10. And then the DOT has to consider those comments and explain either how they’re going to change their plan or why they aren’t persuaded by the objections.

Old May 16, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
PDX over LAS? I have to believe AA has a leg to stand on here. The argument that it doesn't offer any connections doesn't make sense when the DOT acknowledges that it's the fifth largest destination from Japan, not even mentioning all the JL feed through HND from other destinations.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:50 pm

AA has no leg to stand on. Delta has served PDX-NRT since it merged with Northwest in 2010, and Northwest had served that route since 2004. So 15 years of successful service. American, meanwhile, can barely support Tokyo service from Chicago and can't serve it from New York - they've failed there. Chicago and New York are larger markets than Vegas and benefit from large AA feeder operations. If American fails at serving Tokyo from its hubs, how on earth does anybody think they could serve it from Vegas, a non-hub? AA has failed in Tokyo everywhere except from Dallas and apparently Los Angeles. Delta has shown commitment in Portland. No contest.

Originally Posted by linglingfool
PDX over LAS? I have to believe AA has a leg to stand on here.
allset2travel and morrisunc like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
PDX over LAS? I have to believe AA has a leg to stand on here. The argument that it doesn't offer any connections doesn't make sense when the DOT acknowledges that it's the fifth largest destination from Japan, not even mentioning all the JL feed through HND from other destinations.
The tone of AA's press release on this decision does not make it seem like they are likely to protest or challenge. The routes they got were AA's first and second choices.

AA press release: American Airlines Welcomes Tentative Approval of Additional Service at Tokyo Haneda International Airport

We'll see I guess. But it seems like AA is OK with the routes they got.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I have to think that Japanese people would be more than happy connecting at LAX/SFO/SEA on their way to LAS if that means flying JL/NH metal for a majority of the journey.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
If AA got what it really wanted it would have had 4 DFW and one extra LAX. I mean PDX? They can't even try PHL?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by morrisunc
If AA got what it really wanted it would have had 4 DFW and one extra LAX. I mean PDX? They can't even try PHL?
Nike, Intel
Old May 16, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by morrisunc
What about LIT?
ericcheung, DMPHL, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I think AA is happy and generally cautious with capacity. They are going to move services vs promise new services like UA.

AA definitely wanted DFW#1. LAX is a bit of a bonus. AA had 1x LAX pre HND and kept 2 to have both HND and NRT. Some of that capacity supports LAS connections. Plus loss of ORD and downgauge to 787s vs 772s. DFW#2 is nice so they can move out of NRT but hard to argue for over new service. Also worth noting that there is a good amount of military traffic that flies AA that aren't originating from downtown Tokyo. Some might prefer NRT. There will probably be a JL Okinawa flight for NRT timed for US connections. LAS probably works better on JL metal with a lot of Japan point of sale. AA put it in last as a bit of a throwaway where they would do it if offered but primarily to reduce the number of slots Delta and UA would receive.

Also it would be interesting to see if DL keeps all it's slots after it's ICN hub is running. Losing MNL and SIN is about a plane worth of connections. Olympics will be a good short term demand boost but what happens after that? AA would be in a good spot to argue for DFW#2 if DL cancels or down gauges one of their 6 HND services. MSP on a 772 seems like overkill.

On LIT - HND is not a380 compatible and the hourly A380 shuttle will remain at NRT.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I have to think that Japanese people would be more than happy connecting at LAX/SFO/SEA on their way to LAS if that means flying JL/NH metal for a majority of the journey.
Have you ever tried an international to domestic connection at LAX? You will only try it once, ESPECIALLY with a foreign passport.

AA markets its product aggressively within Japan -- moreso than either UA or DL.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by joejones
AA markets its product aggressively within Japan -- moreso than either UA or DL.
That makes sense. AA is historically has had a much weaker presence in Japan and across Asia. United bought PanAm's extensive Pacific division in the 1980s, and Delta assumed NW's NRT hub and extremely strong Asia operation when it took NW over.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm pumped about DFW-HND. Great news!
robertablake likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Have you ever tried an international to domestic connection at LAX? You will only try it once, ESPECIALLY with a foreign passport.
It's not THAT bad. Not as preferable as DFW for an Asian-domestic connection, but I wouldn't avoid LAX for this reason like the plague.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec

I have on several occasions, albeit with an American passport. I don't think the average Japanese leisure traveler is taking lengths of immigration queues into account when traveling abroad.

AA can market its product aggressively in Japan all it wants, but that doesn't change the fact that Japanese people will generally prefer to fly on a Japanese airline given the option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.