Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transferring between London’s LGW - Gatwick and LHR - Heathrow Airports

MCT (minimum connect time) LGW <—> LHR is normally three (3) hours on through ticketing. ”Reasonable Connect time” may be longer.

American Airlines no longer flies into LGW, but has a number of daily flights to and from LHR Terminal 3. See FT - AA thread GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

British Airways has flights to and from LGW South Terminal, as well as LHR Terminal 5 (primarily) and Terminal 3 (few).

Sometimes buying connection tickets or even split tickets using these two airports can be economically favorable, and some schedules might require it. Awards using AA transatlantic and BA to or from the European mainland may use LHR for AA and LGW or LHR for BA; this avoids paying high BA “carrier imposed fees” on the transatlantic sector.

If passengers are on a through ticket, airlines will reschedule on another flight in case of misconnect. On separate ticketing, most airlines will not reaccommodate passengers, however. AA will however, honor missed connections on separate ticketing (for now, subject to change) if connecting to or from AA and another oneworld carrier; contact AA in these cases.

Heathrow (LHR) is 15 miles (24 km) west of London, Gatwick (LGW) is ~30 mi (48 km) south of London. The airports, the United Kingdom’s busiest and second busiest, are 38 mi (61 km) apart, and traffic can be slow and tricky at times.

Through tickets using LHR and LGW on British Airways require a minimum connect time (MCT) of three hours; “reasonable” connect times are arguably longer, particularly on separate ticketing. Passengers should make allowances for flight arrival delays, Immigration (queues can be lengthy), baggage recovery arriving, and departing checking in, security, etc.as well as traffic and the timing of connecting ground transport.

There is no airline baggage transfer between both airports; you must collect your checked baggage and transfer it yourself, even on through ticketing.

Some passengers cope by overnighting between inbound and outbound flights; if the connection is under 24 hours, the United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty should be waived, even if the connection involves two airports (see linked FT thread).

Once at the airports, LHR’s terminals are connected by rail and bus. LGW North and South terminals are connected by an efficient monorail. To transfer between airports by train, one must travel to central London and make connections.

The practical ways to transfer between LGW and LHR include, in descending order based on price, limousine, regular “black” taxi, “minicab” taxi, National Express bus service, connecting rail service. Particularly with baggage, the latter can be inconvenient and require a lot of time.

TAXI: Officially licensed “black” taxis (can be other colors than black) will accomplish the journey in about 45 minutes or more, depending on traffic, and can carry up to five passengers. One way cost will exceed Ł100 (~$125 currently). Additional charge is made for baggage; don’t forget to factor baggage in your journey. Depending on one’s arrival time, there can be lengthy queues waiting for taxis.

”MINICAB” TAXI : Arranged in advance usually, cars can vary in size from compact to minivan; discuss your needs when arranging your transfer, which will cost starting at as low Ł50 per vehicle.

Not endorsing here, but Anthony Delicata’s London Minicab Service gets decent ratings in several places.

NATIONAL EXPRESS DIRECT COACH (bus) National Express (link)
(The National Express app is available from Google Play or Apple App Store.)

Coaches (busses) connect both airports directly, without having to connect. Cost is Ł27 per person, including two pieces of hold baggage and one piece of hand baggage; a slightly higher price is charged for flexible tickets in case of delayed arrival. Can be booked online. First & last journey daily 2:45am/10:45pm, 80 departures daily, minimum journey time 1:05.LGW South terminal: South terminal shuttle station

LGW North terminal: Bus stop #4, Arrivals.

LHR Terminal 2 & 3: Coaches arrive and depart from the Heathrow Central Bus Station.

LHR Terminal 4: Coaches arrive and depart outside of Heathrow Terminal 4.

LHR Terminal 5: Coaches arrive and depart outside of Heathrow Terminal 5.

For more detailed information and maps see here.

MEGABUS DIRECT COACH (bus): Link
“Coaches run direct between Heathrow and Gatwick with departures up to every hour.
Journey time: 75 minutes
Tickets and information: megabus.com or 0900 1600 900*
*Open 7 days a week, 7am - 10pm. Calls to this number are operated by JourneyCall Ltd and will cost 65p per minute, plus telephone access charges.“ - heathrow.com

RAIL (train and Tube: link for National Rail inquiries
Gatwick Express trains run non-stop between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport. The journey takes 30 minutes and a standard-class single costs Ł17.70. To make the link with Heathrow your options include:
  • Heathrow Express between Heathrow and London Paddington, Underground between Paddington and Victoria (45min, Ł27) (Alternately, Heathrow Connect is cheaper but longer between Paddington and Heathrow.)
  • London Underground between Victoria and Heathrow (50min, Ł4.80)

There’s an alternative route via Clapham Junction and Feltham (linked to Heathrow by bus route 285) but it’s only really viable if you have an Oyster card or UK contactless bank card for the bus leg (no cash fares). Journey time: 90min–2hr. Cost (with Oyster): Ł27.” heathrow.com

“You can either travel by Heathrow Express to Paddington (a 15-minute journey from terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5). From Paddington, you can board the Circle Line to Victoria Station (a 15-minute journey) and connect to Gatwick via the Gatwick Express (a 30-minute journey). The whole journey costs over Ł40 one way. (Alternately, Heathrow Connect is cheaper but longer between Paddington and Heathrow.)

Or you can travel by tube from Heathrow (all terminals) to Green Park (a 45-minute journey) then from Green Park to Victoria (a two-minute journey). From Victoria, you can connect to Gatwick via the Gatwick Express (a 30-minute journey). The whole journey costs around Ł20 one way.

Both routes offer step-free access. Something to consider if you have mobility issues, a lot of luggage or are traveling with children. (TripSavvy)

CHEAPER OPTION: “Low-cost carrier easyJet operates a bus service from Heathrow and Gatwick to central London (not between the airports though unfortunately). The cheapest and easiest way to use this service is to take the tube from Heathrow (any terminal) to Earls Court (the journey takes around 35 minutes) and then connect to the easyBus from Earls Court to Gatwick Airport North Terminal (the journey takes around 65 minutes). The whole journey could set you back as little as Ł3.50 (based on a Ł2 easyBus advance fare and a Ł1.50 off-peak Oyster fare).” (TripSavvy)

The most convenient transfers are via National Express, but for two or more people, a minicab or even taxi (four) can be more economical and quicker.
Print Wikipost

London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I wonder if you could get fast track on arrival at Gatwick? I haven't been to Gatwick in years. Do they still have Fast Track? Do they still have tickets to gain access to Fast Track?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
It is a transfer I have done and in time, but no fun, especially in rush hours, both directions.

My suggestion is buy the National Express ticket online, save time queuing, and the reservation can be used for any bus, even if you book a specific bus. There are reliable limo services between the two airports as well, at the appropriate cost.

Sadly the S61N helicopteer service stopped 33 years ago.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by mvoight
You can do this normally, as long as the stop is under 24 hours.
I did this a few times when traveling from TPA-LGW, LHR-DME
I would get there early in morning, take the National Express bus, then shower at the BA lounge at LHR and worked there in the afternoon.
It was a 12 hour connection, and I got in a full day of work as I worked East Coast hours, so I saved a PTO day.
Very convenient.
Unfortunately, I don't get to telecommute to work on an as needed basis (thanking my lucky stars that at least I can do so once a week now!)

PTO days are so precious!!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

timetable for LHR T5 to LGW and vice versa is 60 minutes and more often in reality it’s even quicker using National Express not an hour and a half.

BA won’t sell a ticket with less than a 3 hours connection.- even allowing for the bag drop deadline of an hour long and 45 minutes shorthaul. If your BA flight is late BA will rebook you if on a single ticket. Note on separate tickets it won’t do anything for you.

if lots of people missed their flights because 3 hours wasn’t enough then BA would soon increase the time required. But they haven’t so are happy to bear the costs of the few that don’t make it.
If you are absolutely sure about them rebooking me - it is definitely a single ticket purchased using miles and boatload of surcharges - then I think that's the answer. Go the previous day burning an extra PTO day, but have a 4.5 hour connection rather than a 3 hour connection!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
One thought (that hasn't been shared here yet): why not fly from MIA instead of MCO? I believe all the MIA flights go to LHR (instead for the MCO/TPA flights which go to LGW). You might also look for something like MCO-PHL-LHR-BLR.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
One thought (that hasn't been shared here yet): why not fly from MIA instead of MCO? I believe all the MIA flights go to LHR (instead for the MCO/TPA flights which go to LGW). You might also look for something like MCO-PHL-LHR-BLR.
I haven't done any restrictions in the search. The Philly and Miami options are unavailable for the exact day I want to leave. The other ones are lower in my priority - as I would leave on Saturday or Sunday but land up two days later than original plan, which would seriously cut into two weeks of vacation (for same number of PTO days used)!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
You can do this normally, as long as the stop is under 24 hours.
I did this a few times when traveling from TPA-LGW, LHR-DME
I would get there early in morning, take the National Express bus, then shower at the BA lounge at LHR and worked there in the afternoon.
It was a 12 hour connection, and I got in a full day of work as I worked East Coast hours, so I saved a PTO day.
Very convenient.
Absiolutely. I have a 23.5hr stop on an award ticket. MLA-LGW (BA) arriving 2:40pm; LHR-JFK-SFO (AA) departing 2:05pm next day. All business class, one award, no departure tax, and AA TATL means no BA fuel surcharge. Total taxes and fees are about $100.
JDiver and deeruck like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
4.25 Layover Enough?

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

timetable for LHR T5 to LGW and vice versa is 60 minutes and more often in reality it’s even quicker using National Express not an hour and a half.

BA won’t sell a ticket with less than a 3 hours connection.- even allowing for the bag drop deadline of an hour long and 45 minutes shorthaul. If your BA flight is late BA will rebook you if on a single ticket. Note on separate tickets it won’t do anything for you.

if lots of people missed their flights because 3 hours wasn’t enough then BA would soon increase the time required. But they haven’t so are happy to bear the costs of the few that don’t make it.
Hi UKTravelbear,

We are TPA - LGW ( Arrival 7:50am on BA South Terminal) and LHR - ATH (departure 12:15pm on Aegean Terminal 2). I would prefer to make the 12:15 rather than the later flights. We are a well-traveled couple, in J, no luggage, and hired private car. Is this relatively safe or would you strongly recommend taking the later flights?

Many thanks,

Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi UKTravelbear,

We are TPA - LGW ( Arrival 7:50am on BA South Terminal) and LHR - ATH (departure 12:15pm on Aegean Terminal 2). I would prefer to make the 12:15 rather than the later flights. We are a well-traveled couple, in J, no luggage, and hired private car. Is this relatively safe or would you strongly recommend taking the later flights?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hi,

With no luggage and a private car I would say this is relatively safe.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by an_asker
I haven't done any restrictions in the search. The Philly and Miami options are unavailable for the exact day I want to leave. The other ones are lower in my priority - as I would leave on Saturday or Sunday but land up two days later than original plan, which would seriously cut into two weeks of vacation (for same number of PTO days used)!
Ah. Gotcha. That's a bummer.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I would not want to attempt the LGW-LHR connection you have described.

If you could route via ORD, both the BA flights from there connect with the 119, and there are lots of ways to get from MCO to ORD in time to connect with them. It might cost you one more day of PTO but would be a known quantity you could plan around.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:25 am

I'm getting ready to purchase my National Express ticket. They are trying to push an extra fee for me the flexibility to switch to a later or earlier bus. Should I pay that?

I would assume that they would be able to accommodate me if my flight were to be early or late; or if I get stuck at immigration control longer than estimated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I'm getting ready to purchase my National Express ticket. They are trying to push an extra fee for me the flexibility to switch to a later or earlier bus. Should I pay that?

I would assume that they would be able to accommodate me if my flight were to be early or late; or if I get stuck at immigration control longer than estimated.

Thanks!
I honestly don't think you need to pay the switch fee. The standard ticket is labelled "Standard fare - amendable and not refundable", and a poster earlier stated you can use any service. I'd hesitate to say the same for long distance National Express routes, but the LHR/LGW route is so well served there are buses every few minutes, and so I think they treat it differently. ( Please don't take this as gospel.)

Better news is that since the thread started in February, a new development is that US passport holders (adults only) can use the electronic passport gates at immigration. This should save you a lot of time. You'll be waiting for your bags, rather than the other way around.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:38 am

If you do have to transit between LGW and LHR, an option that is more expensive, but not prone to traffic delays, is to use the express train services. The Gatwick Express will take you between Gatwick and Victoria train stations in 30 minutes. You would then use the Tube to connect from Victoria to Paddington. At Paddington, you hop the Heathrow Express which is about a 15-20 minute ride to Heathrow, depending on your terminal.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
If you do have to transit between LGW and LHR, an option that is more expensive, but not prone to traffic delays, is to use the express train services. The Gatwick Express will take you between Gatwick and Victoria train stations in 30 minutes. You would then use the Tube to connect from Victoria to Paddington. At Paddington, you hop the Heathrow Express which is about a 15-20 minute ride to Heathrow, depending on your terminal.
I was considering the train, but I was unsure of the costs. We've done this before but not on a tight schedule - but I don't recall the cost. Also, last time, we were on the local trains (didn't take either of the expresses) - would that be much longer during rush hour?

I will most likely not be checking in any bags, so should be through very quickly based on the passport information provided by the previous responder.

Some more questions I forgot to ask: the website is showing 27 pounds for the bus ticket. Could it go higher than that? If not, would it not be a better option to purchase once I am at the airport? Or is it always better to purchase ahead?

Thanks once again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.