Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connecting DFW AA international to domestic: wrong route to customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond

I’m not a frequent traveller through DFW but I connected from an international to a domestic flight there today. I have Global Entry so I went to the far (left-hand) end of Terminal D’s CBP area and filled in the form at the kiosk, handed it to the CBP officer who waved me on and I followed two travellers (not travelling with me) with carryons out; we turned left after the CBP officer, into a small corridor and elevator down where I asked if this was the way to Baggage Claim and they assured me it was but I’d have to go down one more floor from the Departures floor that we got off the elevator at down to Arrivals. I did that...and found myself outside the Internationsl Arrivals baggage claim and, of course, unable to get into it. They’d clearly meant Domestic Baggage Claim!

Eventually, with the help of an AA agent, I found my way back to just outside the International Baggage area and one of the agents there called inside and asked the person they spoke to to clear the bag through customs and send it to my domestic flight. Very helpful and she seemed to know what she was doing but whether it makes it or not we will see. I can manage without it if necessary and the staff at the AA Club say they’ll forward it on to me if it doesn’t get on the same plane as I do.

My question really is whether this has ever happened to anyone else? The two American passengers I went in the elevator with seemed to know exactly what they were doing and I vaguely remember seeing a small sign saying hand-Baggage route pointing that way (I had no idea what that was at the time but I think I do now!). But for an arriving passenger on a plane for 14 hours who hasn’t been to DFW for a while, I wonder if I’m the only person ever to make this mistake! The bag will find me I’m sure, either in the US or back home but clearly I’ll have to pay more attention to my surroundings at unfamiliar airports when what are meant to be helpful improvements are made!

Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
I’m not a frequent traveller through DFW but I connected from an international to a domestic flight there today. I have Global Entry so I went to the far (left-hand) end of Terminal D’s CBP area and filled in the form at the kiosk, handed it to the CBP officer who waved me on and I followed two travellers (not travelling with me) with carryons out; we turned left after the CBP officer, into a small corridor and elevator down where I asked if this was the way to Baggage Claim and they assured me it was but I’d have to go down one more floor from the Departures floor that we got off the elevator at down to Arrivals. I did that...and found myself outside the Internationsl Arrivals baggage claim and, of course, unable to get into it. They’d clearly meant Domestic Baggage Claim!

Eventually, with the help of an AA agent, I found my way back to just outside the International Baggage area and one of the agents there called inside and asked the person they spoke to to clear the bag through customs and send it to my domestic flight. Very helpful and she seemed to know what she was doing but whether it makes it or not we will see. I can manage without it if necessary and the staff at the AA Club say they’ll forward it on to me if it doesn’t get on the same plane as I do.

My question really is whether this has ever happened to anyone else? The two American passengers I went in the elevator with seemed to know exactly what they were doing and I vaguely remember seeing a small sign saying hand-Baggage route pointing that way (I had no idea what that was at the time but I think I do now!). But for an arriving passenger on a plane for 14 hours who hasn’t been to DFW for a while, I wonder if I’m the only person ever to make this mistake! The bag will find me I’m sure, either in the US or back home but clearly I’ll have to pay more attention to my surroundings at unfamiliar airports when what are meant to be helpful improvements are made!

Usually this isn't an issue as both the CBP officer in that left-side GE lane as well as the "hand carry" attendant who sits just before the "elevator hallway" (normally it's staffed both at the top and the bottom) ask you the same question with regards to "no checked baggage?" so it's it's entirely possible that if these two positions didn't ask, you would find yourself land side after taking the elevator. Using that service quite often, I absolutely love it given how quickly you can make it through the checkpoint to the left of the elevator exit.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Got it - and I agree, it’s really very fast to get out.
The good news is that my bag made it to the next flight without incident - even though I’d ‘forgotten’ it - credit to AA for good and helpful service.
Spiff, aztimm, ashill and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Usually this isn't an issue as both the CBP officer in that left-side GE lane as well as the "hand carry" attendant who sits just before the "elevator hallway" (normally it's staffed both at the top and the bottom) ask you the same question with regards to "no checked baggage?" so it's it's entirely possible that if these two positions didn't ask, you would find yourself land side after taking the elevator. Using that service quite often, I absolutely love it given how quickly you can make it through the checkpoint to the left of the elevator exit.
Despite being local to DFW, I’ve erroneously exited this way before. The agents claimed 1-2 people make this mistake every day, and they’ve asked Customs to make this more clear. I know the top attendant said nothing and there was no bottom attendant when I exited this route. But I think only GE users would notice and use this exit.

BTW, unclaimed luggage is eventually brought to domestic D baggage claim.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by flightrisk
BTW, unclaimed luggage is eventually brought to domestic D baggage claim.
Really? I was not aware of that, is that true of every airport?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
One final note - I asked the CBP officer yesterday and the express exit closes at 6PM.

Originally Posted by bscooter26
Really? I was not aware of that, is that true of every airport?
I suspect unclaimed luggage would have to make its way to the baggage claim office in every airport, which is typically beyond Customs landside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.