Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-LHR upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
ORD-LHR upgrades

I'm a pretty new EXP and looking for some advice on ORD or JFK to LHR upgrades. Did some reading and seems like using SWUs is tough on this route. I don't have an EF subscription, but could be doing this route on occasion.
I'm going Mar 14-17 - am I correct in assuming planning on using SWUs ORD-LHR is not going to work out well for these dates? Looking to take one of the direct PM flights outbound and return midday or early PM. Any thoughts on SWUs on this route in general (I'd prefer avoiding connections)?

Also, if I end up going coach is there much difference in the BA vs AA product?
Thanks!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by brsp18
I'm a pretty new EXP and looking for some advice on ORD or JFK to LHR upgrades. Did some reading and seems like using SWUs is tough on this route. I don't have an EF subscription, but could be doing this route on occasion.
I'm going Mar 14-17 - am I correct in assuming planning on using SWUs ORD-LHR is not going to work out well for these dates? Looking to take one of the direct PM flights outbound and return midday or early PM. Any thoughts on SWUs on this route in general (I'd prefer avoiding connections)?

Thanks!!
ORD/JFK to LHR are no more difficult to clear than other TATL routes. Not sure if the timing works but don't forget about ORD-RDU-LHR as well. Similar to pretty much every other longhaul route on AA it's all about picking the right season, day of week, and to some extent flight time to maximize your chances. If your dates are set in stone, booking around 3 weeks out there's not much you can do other than check the loads on EF and the seatmaps and pick the flights that are the most open. If you can find any options that look especially open in business then as an EXP you have a good chance to clear given the timing.

I flew ORD-LHR in December, flight was wide open when booked around 2 months out, only filled to around 1/3 full in business, and of course AA still didn't release any C space until the day before the flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
I flew AA86 ORD-LHR in both Jan and Feb and on both waitlisted to use a SWU. Jan cleared the morning of the flight, and Feb cleared at the gate (in fact 8 people cleared at the gate!)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm a pretty new EXP and looking for some advice on ORD or JFK to LHR upgrades. Did some reading and seems like using SWUs is tough on this route.
Depends on what you mean by "tough". Clearing at advance booking is tough on any AA route these days. Clearing off the waitlist within 36-0 hours of departure is entirely possible and common. You say nothing about your 12-month rolling EQD level - but that's an important factor.

My advice - book the flights that work best for your needs schedule and dates wise. Waitlist the SWU. That's the approach I take - and I'm 100% on SWU Y-->J longhaul upgrades. I don't bother with EF>

Thanks!!
Two key ones come to mind:
1) On AA as an EXP you get Main Cabin Extra seating. No such thing on BA, only a few exit row seats with extra legroom.
2) if you buy a ticket on BA metal you can't even waitlist the SWU. SWUs are only valid for AA metal flights,

Last edited by bse118; Feb 20, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed info. AA much better than UA on UGs where it was basically whatever non-elite wanted to pay a couple hundred bucks. My company uses Airpass and I was over 35k EQD last year so a decent spend for not much intl travel.
I'll just roll with the SWU and hope for the best. Flights I'm looking at are a little more than half open in J, but a little worried given Thurs eve departure and Sun 4pm return.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:39 am
Suspended

Currently the ORD flight is using B787 and only 20J seats for sale. It is going to be tough to use SWU. In comparison JFK would be a little bit easier with 37J version B777 3 times a and 8F52J version B77W daily.

however that being said, I was on a 28J version B788 from ORD recently even though AA is only selling 20J seats. Don't know how that wouldn't for SWU.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chongcao
Currently the ORD flight is using B787 and only 20J seats for sale. It is going to be tough to use SWU. In comparison JFK would be a little bit easier with 37J version B777 3 times a and 8F52J version B77W daily.

however that being said, I was on a 28J version B788 from ORD recently even though AA is only selling 20J seats. Don't know how that wouldn't for SWU.
Guessing that's how 8 people cleared at the gate in the above example. However...it is a gamble that you get the 28J version.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Guessing that's how 8 people cleared at the gate in the above example. However...it is a gamble that you get the 28J version.
Hint, the B788 conversion is slower than public anticipated. And those unconverted B788 has been more or less assigned to ORD LHR during this winter... However, I have no idea when these birds will be changed for summer season.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao
Hint, the B788 conversion is slower than public anticipated. And those unconverted B788 has been more or less assigned to ORD LHR during this winter... However, I have no idea when these birds will be changed for summer season.
Looks like the flights I'm targeting have the 28J so that improves the outlook. Connecting thru RDU (40J) and JFK (AA 100 is a 3 cabin) gives far more seats but not sure it is worth the connection. I'll probably just end up going with the directs and hoping for the best. At least it sounds like AA SWUs seem to work better than UA GPUs.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:26 pm

You prob have a good chance to clear on AA90 that leaves ORD in the morning. I think that flight always has lighter load cuz no one can connect to/from it on the same day
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
My guess is at 35k eqd you’ve got a decent shot clearing but as others have said it will probably be within a day or so of departure. Also in the event it doesn’t clear you may still be able to get an upgrade to premium economy for free if it isn’t full. May be offered at check in or checking with an agent at the airport.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
My guess is at 35k eqd you’ve got a decent shot clearing but as others have said it will probably be within a day or so of departure. Also in the event it doesn’t clear you may still be able to get an upgrade to premium economy for free if it isn’t full. May be offered at check in or checking with an agent at the airport.
he can also book ord lhr flight that offers no premium economy for sale - first and last flight of the day and hope for equipment change- that’s way you can get premium economy seat without asking for it cuz it’s sold as MCE
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Quick follow up Q for Prem Econ on this route - I booked AA86 on 3/14 and J is pretty booked but I read the article they are only selling 20J on most of the 788s as the equipment changes to add PE are done. I'm betting I will clear SWU if the plane stays 28J but I currently have 19C exit row with an empty middle. Should I keep that seat or grab 9B or 9K so i'd have PE if they switch to the new plane.
Same for the return AA91 on 3/17 - i've got 10J but could grab a middle in 8 or 9. I'm an EXP so PE would work. Haven't been in a PE seat yet.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:55 pm

Quick follow up Q for Prem Econ on this route - I booked AA86 on 3/14 and J is pretty booked but I read the article they are only selling 20J on most of the 788s as the equipment changes to add PE are done. I'm betting I will clear SWU if the plane stays 28J but I currently have 19C exit row with an empty middle. Should I keep that seat or grab 9B or 9K so i'd have PE if they switch to the new plane.
Same for the return AA91 on 3/17 - i've got 10J but could grab a middle in 8 or 9. I'm an EXP so PE would work. Haven't been in a PE seat yet.
Thanks!!
staying in exit row seat or picking 9B or 9K seat is like asking AA to love you to the back of the plane when equipment change happens.
Pick any any in row 8-9 that is not B or K and you will end up in PE or at least have MCE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.